• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding thoughts? Laser AX 159

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
I got a screaming deal on a brand new pair of 2018 Laser AX 159 skis (half price!) that I definitely don't need. But it was kind of too good to pass up, since we've been scouting these skis (in a 175 for my husband) and we've never seen them anywhere close to that.

Anyway, I called the shop to ask what they normally mount them with and the guy there said that for that size and my weight, he puts on a Salomon Z10, since I don't need a super high DIN and I don't weigh that much. But my new boots have Grip Walk (I don't have those soles on now as not all my bindings are compatible), and I think I want the option for the future.

Do I just search for a deal on Attack 12/13s with an 85 binding? I don't really know much about bindings so open to recommendations. My DIN calculates to 6.5 right now (though I have it lowered to 5.5/6 on some skis - as I'd rather my ski come off than tweak my knee).

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyway, I called the shop to ask what they normally mount them with and the guy there said that for that size and my weight, he puts on a Salomon Z10, since I don't need a super high DIN and I don't weigh that much. But my new boots have Grip Walk (I don't have those soles on now as not all my bindings are compatible), and I think I want the option for the future.
No no no NOT a Z10!!! How many times do I have to write that a binding is not measured by the spring it holds. :nono::nono::nono:. You just bought a Porsche and the guy wants to put KMart tires on it. Well...you won't be going that fast...you don't need good tire..." :doh::doh::doh:

Binding options:
Look Pivot 12 WR
Look SPX12 Dual
Marker TPX 12.0
Salomon Warden 11.0 WTR
Tyrolia Attack 12/13

But no way in hell a Z10.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
NO on the Attack 11! Cheaper heel construction and heel height/ramp issues with the 11. Get the Attack2 12/13 in the 85 brake as they are much better. Attack 13 are more commonly sold on their own and it’s a similar price to the 12 so just get the 13. Corbetts.com has them for $199.99 CAN.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
No no no NOT a Z10!!! How many times do I have to write that a binding is not measured by the spring it holds. :nono::nono::nono:. You just bought a Porsche and the guy wants to put KMart tires on it. Well...you won't be going that fast...you don't need good tire..." :doh::doh::doh:

Binding options:
Look Pivot 12 WR
Look SPX12 Dual
Marker TPX 12.0
Salomon Warden 11.0 WTR
Tyrolia Attack 12/13

Ha. Thanks @Philpug. Found Attack 13s for $169. Will take a look at the other options on the list to see what else is out there.

Reactions: BC.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tell your chef husband that you are going to make Steak Tartare with 80/20 ground chuck...that is what putting a Z10 or Attack 11 on the Stockli is akin to ;). According to the shop guy...it's just beef anyway..." ;) How can that guy be in a shop selling Stocklis?

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier

Binding options:
Look Pivot 12 WR
Look SPX12 Dual
Marker TPX 12.0
Salomon Warden 11.0 WTR
Tyrolia Attack 12/13

Ha. Thanks @Philpug. Found Attack 13s for $169. Will take a look at the other options on the list to see what else is out there.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you find the right brake? they make a narrower brake (85mm) for the Attack 12/13.

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Tell your chef husband that you are going to make Steak Tartare with 80/20 ground chuck...that is what putting a Z10 or Attack 11 on the Stockli is akin to ;). According to the shop guy...it's just beef anyway..." ;) How can that guy be in a shop selling Stocklis?

@Philpug - I shared this with Ted and he said he threw up in his mouth a little. :roflmao:

TS
laine

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Did you find the right brake? they make a narrower brake (85mm) for the Attack 12/13.

Yep, the one I found for $169 has an 85 brake - harder to find than I thought. But I'm gonna give Corbetts.com a call in the morning to see what they have as well before pulling the trigger.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There’s a reason why the 11’s are “cheaper”.....but anyway, I see you found some Attack 13’s....jump on them for that price.
Compared to the Attack 13's, the Attack 12's are less expensive, Attack 11's are cheaper. ;)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As I posted to you on another thread, I A-B-ed the demo Attack 13s and Head/Tyrolia PRD 12s on two pairs of 183 AXes. The former was more playful and versatile (will still great edge), the latter was more a race-like driver. I preferred the former.

Sponsor

Staff online