• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Binding Durability

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
I loved the article on sleeper bindings. A few years ago I switched from the Marker royal series to Attacks and now have the 13 or 14 on every ski except my bump skis which have pivots. I was in the market for bindings for my very light wife and ending up buying the Salomon Stage 11 due the low stand height, low weight and short mounting zone. My question is what experience have people had with these bindings aimed at lighter skiers as far as durability for heavier skiers? I run my DINS at 8 so I would not even be close to hitting the max on these bindings but will these really stand up to skiing bumps, trees, and steeps out west? I wouldn't want to add additional risk to my life to save ~200 grams, but do I really need DIN14 bindings if they are set at 8?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn't want to add additional risk to my life to save ~200 grams, but do I really need DIN14 bindings if they are set at 8?
There is not really a life or death risk of buying a lighter binding as long as you are within settings range. When you are buying a better binding, not so much buying a bigger spring but a better housing. I will say there are times when there is some sharing that doesn't make sense to spend more, like the Pivot 12 and the Pivot 14, it is the same binding other than spring but going to the 15, you are getting a metal toe.

TS
fundad77

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
There is not really a life or death risk of buying a lighter binding as long as you are within settings range. When you are buying a better binding, not so much buying a bigger spring but a better housing. I will say there are times when there is some sharing that doesn't make sense to spend more, like the Pivot 12 and the Pivot 14, it is the same binding other than spring but going to the 15, you are getting a metal toe.
I guess that's what I was getting at. Do indemnified housings break (or any other moving parts) if you are not using them for park or dropping cliffs? I have never worked in a shop so I don't know what they see. I am just trying to discern marketing hype from reality.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess that's what I was getting at. Do indemnified housings break (or any other moving parts) if you are not using them for park or dropping cliffs? I have never worked in a shop so I don't know what they see. I am just trying to discern marketing hype from reality.
To quote Boris the Blade ... 'With weight comes reliability". You are buying a better coupling holding the boot to the ski.

Sponsor

Staff online