Featured Bike and Golf trip report from PA and WV

Discussion in 'Travel and Trip Reports' started by Jim Kenney, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney Travel Correspondent Industry Insider Team Gathermeister

I met some Pugsters on July 11, 2019 and we rode 30 miles on the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail in Western PA from Meyersdale to Confluence.
    This is a very nice rural rail-trail with a crushed stone surface. It runs from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD. We rode a section about halfway in between.
    This trail features some great bridges and tunnels for bikers. This is @Gary Stolt

gary bike 1.jpg @CharlieM
    charlie bike 1.jpg Gary with small country graveyard in background.
    gary bike 2.jpg We rode beside blooming wild rhododendrons for many miles.
    gary bike 3.jpg Now that the glamour shots have been posted, here is the rainy portion of the ride. Fortunately the trail held up pretty well in wet conditions. I've been known to don a plastic trash bag on rainy bike days and rainy ski days.
    jim bike 1.jpg

SpikeDog, jimmy, scott43 and 3 others like this.
  2. Thread Starter
    TS
    Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney Travel Correspondent Industry Insider Team Gathermeister

Then on July 12 and 13 we played golf at Canaan Valley State Park Golf Course with our host @jimmy in great 75 degs weather.
    The fab four at Canaan Valley, WV , L-R: Charlie, Jim, Jimmy, Gary
    foursome golf.jpg Amazingly, Charlie biked and golfed on one leg all weekend. He gets a total knee replacement job on his right leg on July 16.
    charlie golf 1.jpg The mountain behind Gary and Charlie is the Whitegrass Nordic Ski Center.
    gary golf 1.jpg Gary strokes one. He is a single digit handicapper and keeps the rest of us in our place well behind him on the golf course.
    gary golf 2.jpg That is the Canaan Valley downhill ski area in the background of this photo of Gary.
    gary golf 3.jpg Jimmy showing his follow-through.
    jimmy golf 1.jpg Jim, Adam and Jimmy. Adam is a PSIA telemark ski instructor in the winter and works part time at the golf course in summer.
    jimmy golf 2.jpg
    Jimmy aiming for the pin on a pretty par 3 hole.
    jimmy golf 3.jpg Gary explaining how he kicks our butt on the golf course.
    jimmy golf 4.jpg

Andy Mink, Gary Stolt, wgo and 3 others like this.
  3. Eric267

Eric267 Gettin after it Skier

Looks like a sweet course! Nice wide fairways. Kind of reminds me of the course at 7springs, which if you haven't played, put it on your list. One of my personal favorites.

Gary Stolt and Jim Kenney like this.
  4. CharlieM

CharlieM Booting up Skier

Thanks Jimmy for hosting again this year. Thanks JimK for putting up with my erratic, inconsistent golf game and thanks to Gary for being the long distant traveler that he is and being willing to drive that far and spend the weekend with us!!!
    Let's do it again sometime.

Jim Kenney likes this.
  5. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer Putting on skis Skier

Remember, men lie about three things. How tall they are; what their golf handicap is; and how long their XXXX is. Women also lie about three things. How old they are; how much they weigh; and...

SpikeDog likes this.

6. jimmy

jimmy Mixmaster Skier

Hey sorry about the rain on Thursday it's been raining down there since I left on March 31. It's not what I ordered but Friday and Saturday were spectacular. Glad we could do this again maybe we could expand it next year. As for Gary's handicap.....................

7. LaurelHillCraze

LaurelHillCraze AKA Rob Davis Skier

I'm happy you guys got through the ride okay. The storms around the region have been really nasty and very frequent. It looks like Friday was as nice down in Canaan as it was here in the 'Burgh. Hopefully, I'll be in better condition for a long ride later this summer.

jimmy likes this.
  8. SpikeDog

SpikeDog You want Big Air, kid? Skier

Nice backspackle, Gary.

CharlieM and jimmy like this.