• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Big White first week in Jan

HeavenlySaddle

Booting up
Skier
Bringing family to Big White in first week in Jan. My 15 yr old to have his CSIA Level 1 course/exam. Any tips for discount tickets (for rest of the family)? Also, any information about the mountain would be appreciated.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Big White's nickname is Big Whiteout so bring your foggy day goggles. The snow will be very light and dry.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Although Big Whiteout is its nickname, I've only experienced a couple of days of fog. Most of the time I've skied there its been sunny. Don't run into the snow ghosts. While they look like soft , fluffy apparitions, they are not. They are solid. Like a ROCK!!! There is something there for the whole family to ski. Once you move away from the 2 main chairs out of the village, the crowds disappear. The Globe and the Woods are my 2 favourite restaurants.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
with with the best potential for fog the snow conditions also tend to be the best of the 4 okanogan hills.
So your less likely to be using a groomer or bump oriented ski if you have choices.
For advanced or intermediate there are a few steeper routes down to base of Cliff Chair. But usually not where you want to be if it's foggy
Bullet chair area has some nice single diamond cruiser bump runs Dragon Tongue, Goats Kick and Piece of Cake, tree lined
Powder chair has Shakey Knees and Flagpole upper section is fog effected
The Gem Lake lift line is also fun. again the upper section can be fog impacted but tree lined after clearing top

most skiing will likely be open intermediate glade skiing, I've had a lot of very good powder days there

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
Along with the fog, the wind is usually blowing across the top leaving you exposed on the chair. Something to cover your face is recommended. Take the right side of the chair so that the other suckers can block the wind for you.

There are yellow poles that mark the way out of the fog. Often you can only see one at a time and have to ski to the first one before you spot the next. Keep following them and you'll be out of the fog shortly.

LewyM

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Big White is fun. The snow conditions are consistently great, although that comes with a trade off of poor visibility at times. And once the season is going, the base stays nice, chalky and soft. I've skied a ton in Okanagan B.C. and I think that the "Big Whiteout" thing is way over-stated. Maybe it is because I am a PNW local and used to it, but on a percentage basis I've skied just as many poor viz days at Whistler and Sun Peaks. And way more days of blower pow at BW. Maybe that is just luck of the draw. If you are comfortable in the trees it shouldn't be a problem. Get your coffee at the Bean Scene - Ollie is the best.

Sponsor