• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky Powder day tips

Toddlasher1

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hey Guys.

Will be at big Sky next month.

what’s the best approach on a powder day for solid advanced skiers, if we get snow.

Is the early access program a good idea? (The $35 is not a big factor). I know it doesn’t service the best terrain.

thanks!

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Depends on which mountain or zone gets the goods, really helps to know someone on patrol :ogbiggrin: or better yet to be with one for a rope drop

Did first tracks on Tuesday, FYI you must reserve 2 days in advance so having a crystal ball helps quite a bit. We were watching several storms that didn’t materialize. On that morning ram charger got 2-3” while other areas got 10-12+ got more.
Yesterday and today we will still find some untracked, just gotta know where to look.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've gotten a total of 12 days in at Big Sky in 2 separate week-long trips. We were lucky enough to have several snow days on each visit! So what I don't know could fill, a big book... Here is a strategy that worked great for us on day where is snowed about 10" to a foot overnight.

First we hit the Turkey bowl for a lap or 2 traversing out along the traverse until hitting untracked. Then we skied from the top of the lift that serves the Turkey Bowl over to the bottom of Challenger lift. We lapped that 3 times I think with no line and on our third, or was it fourth trip up we noticed a good sized line building behind us. Off to the Headwaters chair where the snow in the steep gullies to skier's right (edit: Skiers left, lookers right!) of the lift were still almost untracked and the snow was closer to 2 feet deep. A couple of laps there and the lift lines caught up to us again but by that time we were ready for some mellower trees and some lunch.

Thanks for asking - It's been fun remembering that day!

Last edited:
TS
T

Toddlasher1

Skier
I've gotten a total of 12 days in at Big Sky in 2 separate week-long trips. We were lucky enough to have several snow days on each visit! So what I don't know could fill, a big book... Here is a strategy that worked great for us on day where is snowed about 10" to a foot overnight.

First we hit the Turkey bowl for a lap or 2 traversing out along the traverse until hitting untracked. Then we skied from the top of the lift that serves the Turkey Bowl over to the bottom of Challenger lift. We lapped that 3 times I think with no line and on our third, or was it fourth trip up we noticed a good sized line building behind us. Off to the Headwaters chair where the snow in the steep gullies to skier's right (edit: Skiers left, lookers right!) of the lift were still almost untracked and the snow was closer to 2 feet deep. A couple of laps there and the lift lines caught up to us again but by that time we were ready for some mellower trees and some lunch.

Thanks for asking - It's been fun remembering that day!

I hope we can recreate it!

TS
T

Toddlasher1

Skier
Depends on which mountain or zone gets the goods, really helps to know someone on patrol :ogbiggrin: or better yet to be with one for a rope drop

Did first tracks on Tuesday, FYI you must reserve 2 days in advance so having a crystal ball helps quite a bit. We were watching several storms that didn’t materialize. On that morning ram charger got 2-3” while other areas got 10-12+ got more.
Yesterday and today we will still find some untracked, just gotta know where to look.
Was the early access thing crowded?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^ first tracks is never crowded, very limited tix sales. The opportunity is usually sold out and last chance for tix is two days before.

When you can see out three days for a storm and get a spot it’s a magical way to watch the sunrise.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We had lots of snow during the Gathering and got some good powder runs. But the morning we tried to be clever about a "strategy" we outsmarted ourselves and wasted most of the morning. Good luck!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are so many variables. What lifts are running. What runs are open. Which way the wind blew. How adventurous you are. What the overall herd mentality is on that day.

So it's back to basics, I guess.
1) Learn the terrain ahead of time if you can. (At Big Sky, that is a Big Challenge!) Be an explorer. Remember the out of the way spots and obscure entrances.
2) Ski with someone who knows.
3) Never leave good snow to find good snow.
4) Snow stays better and is more well hidden in trees.
5) Stay off the flats.
6) Don't be afraid to ask patrol about lift openings and rope drops.
7) Better to be skiing imperfect pow than waiting in line for untracked that may or may not become available.

I've only been to Big Sky a couple times, but some areas I would check out would be:
  • Glades on the back side of Andesite
  • Shedhorn/Dakota trees
  • Lines looker left of Lone Tree lift that require a very short hike.
  • Headwaters chutes (obvious, but potentially too good to ignore)
  • Challenger bowl (ditto)
  • Double Jack / Single Jack area
Note that I'm under no illusions that any of this is in any way special knowledge. I don't have that, and if I did I might not share! Mostly I'm just reminiscing. Sigh.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
There are so many variables. What lifts are running. What runs are open. Which way the wind blew. How adventurous you are. What the overall herd mentality is on that day.

So it's back to basics, I guess.
1) Learn the terrain ahead of time if you can. (At Big Sky, that is a Big Challenge!) Be an explorer. Remember the out of the way spots and obscure entrances.
2) Ski with someone who knows.
3) Never leave good snow to find good snow.
4) Snow stays better and is more well hidden in trees.
5) Stay off the flats.
6) Don't be afraid to ask patrol about lift openings and rope drops.
7) Better to be skiing imperfect pow than waiting in line for untracked that may or may not become available.

I've only been to Big Sky a couple times, but some areas I would check out would be:
  • Glades on the back side of Andesite
  • Shedhorn/Dakota trees
  • Lines looker left of Lone Tree lift that require a very short hike.
  • Headwaters chutes (obvious, but potentially too good to ignore)
  • Challenger bowl (ditto)
  • Double Jack / Single Jack area
Note that I'm under no illusions that any of this is in any way special knowledge. I don't have that, and if I did I might not share! Mostly I'm just reminiscing. Sigh.
That’s a good list of decent spots. Your approach is correct too—if the snow is skiing ok and you have decent lines, stay.
if it’s not too warm and you have decent snow, the Shedkota area can be wonderful.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Some pretty good tips above though some of the "names" don't match the trail maps. Be aware that depending on the wind and snow depth it can take awhile for the avalanche control work to be completed keeping some areas of the mountain closed. Some will patiently wait for the rope drops and/or lifts to open (like Powder Seeker or the tram) and others will be lapping areas of the lower mountain. The better powder days are often mid-week "sleeper" storms that deliver 4-6 inches when only flurries were predicted. Hopefully Big Sky will get out of this current dry spell and there will be more powder days.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Best experience: hire Ursula Howland for the day. Whether there is powder or not. She will take you to the goods you would not otherwise find. You will learn something and your skiing will improve. And, most importantly, you will have an experience you will never forget from one of the kindest, most generous person on this planet. And she rips!!!

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
There is no powder in Big Sky... Not in weeks anyway!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
When visiting unfamiliar resorts, study the trail map and topographic map including satellite modes, and one has the ability given general experience of snowfall deposition to know more about obscure ignored harder to reach zones, than most locals. Note there are many (esp heavier) advanced skiers, that only seem to have interest in skiing steep gradients that is likely to leave considerable lower gradient fresh slopes unmolested especially those about more treed areas. Pay most attention to north facing slopes at higher elevations, especially on lee sides of ridge lines.

Sponsor

Staff online