• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big Green Egg Temperature

mcpowell

I want to be good
Skier
Can it get too hot when cooking steaks?

I like to sear my steaks for a minute before letting them get to MEDIUM RARE. As I sit here drinking scotch (in preparation), I’m wondering if it’s going to get too hot before I finish this one.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The hotter it is, the closer attention you have to pay to those steaks. Put the scotch down for a minute!

Ruth's Chris and places like that do it with 1000 degree ovens , so you should be ok.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
I have a Kamado Joe with the divide and conquer system. I roast on the indirect side to about 90 to 100 degrees internal meat temp. I have the vents open full as temp rises while doing this.
Then move the meat to the direct side with grate in low position and grill at temp of around 600 to 700 or so for 45 sec, turn 90 degrees, 45 sec more then flip and repeat. Let rest for 10 min. Usually works great.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
+1 for the reverse sear for inch plus cuts. Usually 7-10 minutes indirect (cool) side, and then 90 secs each side of meat over direct (hot side). Before putting on the direct, I get the lump as hot as it can. All bottom vents open, lid off, lump raging. Briquettes don't get hot enough for a good sear. Weber 22in kettle. YMMV.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
D428BFFA-2237-429C-952E-F557B9FB1AC4.jpeg
Yesterday’s reverse sear. Forgot to take the sliced photo since we ate it too fast. You’ll have to imagine perfect medium rare.

Sponsor