• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Before moving I had about a dozen poles- all too long as they were common & cheap at ski swaps.

One day I boiled the grips, they all came off easily, and hacksawed them shorter-no problem.
Chamfered edges & used no glue on reassembly.

Could have used a tubing cutter (can’t remember)
I think I held several very loosely in a vice while pulling.Twisting the grips while pulling also helps to break the bond.

Our next 20 post thread will be on how to change a
Light bulb.ogsmile

TS
NoScoped

NoScoped

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the replies all. They're K2 composite poles...not sure what model.

gwasson

Mid Atlantic banana belt dweller
Skier
Thanks for the replies all. They're K2 composite poles...not sure what model.

I have one pair of K2 composites (Power 10 Airfoils) I was able to get the grips off and cut down. I used a heat gun (sparingly) and then used a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to cut the length. I have a couple other older pairs that I want to cut down, but for the life of me I have not been able to get the grips off. Tried heat gun, boiling, all to no avail.

Good luck.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
In the golf world there are super cheap rubber vise jaws adapters that have a v-groove lengthwise. These are meant to allow a club shaft to be held in a standard vise without damage and without allowing the club to twist while doing work. These would also work great for skiers trying to remove grips (much better than a door jamb).

I recently cut down my LEKI poles and used my shaft vise (a step up from using the rubber adapters with a standard vise) and it was so much easier that I wish I would have known this years ago.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I cut a pair of Royal Shaft poles down with a dremel, took no time at all. I cut them at the bottom since the baskets were shot, and one was missing the tip, so I needed to replace those anyway. I couldn't find parts from RS, but the ones Goode sells fit perfectly.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In the golf world there are super cheap rubber vise jaws adapters that have a v-groove lengthwise. These are meant to allow a club shaft to be held in a standard vise without damage and without allowing the club to twist while doing work. These would also work great for skiers trying to remove grips (much better than a door jamb).

I recently cut down my LEKI poles and used my shaft vise (a step up from using the rubber adapters with a standard vise) and it was so much easier that I wish I would have known this years ago.

I hang old bike tubes in my garage and use them for all kinds of things like in a vice, clamp furniture repairs, stake trees - bike tubes are rare these days but they last a long time.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I hang old bike tubes in my garage and use them for all kinds of things like in a vice, clamp furniture repairs, stake trees -.
Yes, very useful. Thin rings cut off make good quality super heavy duty rubber bands. Use my favorite tool to cut -channelock tin snips that cut most anything from paper to tin or aluminum.

Sponsor

Staff online