• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best ski helmet for kids

Jensj

Booting up
Skier
I am looking for a really good ski helmet for my 4-year-old boy. Safety is the most important thing for me, but it is also important that the helmet has a high level of comfort.

I have come up with the following two helmets and goggles:

POC POCito Obex Mips

POC POCito Opsin

Giro Spur Mips

Giro Buster goggle

Which one of them do you think is the best, and are there other helmets I should also consider?

It is very important that my boy is visible on the slopes, especially in bad weather. Which color will be most visible on the slopes?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Jensj - Also checkout the Bern Bandito w/ mips. Both my boys are in Berns, they liked the fit better than the POC & Smith they tried on. The Camino is another option from Bern.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Best helmet is the one that fits. And the googles need to fit to the helmet. No gaps at the forehead. If you think that your kid might wear liner underneath, make sure that it has flat seams.

Go for colour. You can find your kid and it's fun!!

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
One that fits and is comfortable and works with their goggles.

That's it. Bright color if possible.

rcc55125

Getting on the lift
Skier

I think these Head helmets are great for kids. The visor eliminates one of the big problems kids have, adjusting goggles and keeping them on.
The visor also offers good face protection. This helmet is also available in MIPS.
Don't worry too much about color. Kids love customizing their helmets with stickers or eyes or spines in all kinds of colors.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
As everyone says, you have to try them on, especially for goggles and of course, if you plan to have the kids use headphones for music.

I prefer MIPS as well.

You might want to add Sweet Protection to your list. The kids used them over the years with success. They can generally be purchased on Steep and Cheap at lower prices and when you crash, SP will offer a reasonable discount to replace the helmet.

I was big on SP myself until last year. I crashed and used the discount to replace it, but they changed the design of my preferred helmet and it stopped fitting the same way. Had to switch to Giro, which I'm not nearly as happy with.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Of course Giro, a plug for our sponsor. Do not expect the helmet to get little Johnny though High School, he needs to grow out of the helmet and not into it. Oh and light weight for someone of this size.

Basilherb

Booting up
Skier
My daughter had the Giro Spur Mips for a few years and liked it a lot. I took her to the local ski store to pick it out though. They all seemed to fit a little differently. She had Anon goggles and they worked well with it.

She grew out of it at age 8 though this year and I had to buy her a women's medium helmet, and then the goggles didn't fit so I had to buy adult size of those too. Hopefully that will last my big-headed child a while!

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Heads come in different shapes. Long oval, oval, round, tapered. A helmet with its interior shaped like the wearer's head is critical for both comfort and protection. Take him to a shop with a great selection and see which one gives him the best fit.

The 3 critical safety features of every helmet are (a) the shell to prevent penetrations, (b) the expanded polystyrene or other material in the shock absorbing liner (not the fabric comfort liner), and (c) the strap & buckle to keep the helmet on the head while the wearer is tumbling down the hill. Again, try before you buy to find the one that works best.

Sponsor