• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Took a ski edge to the shin last spring and left a small gash about 1.5" long allong with a few mini gashes surronding.

Patagonia store in the N* village used to sell some clear gore Tex patches that you could just cut into little pieces and stick on but when I stopped in yesterday I was told they no longer carry them.

The pants are only about a season old so would rather not have the tear inevitably get worse and need replaced. Seems all the local shops only carry a standard black patch which I would rather not use since the pants are Kakhi. Clear would be the best option

Could drop them off in Truckee and have professionally repaired but would rather save some loot and have a extra patch handy for next time.

What chu got?

Tom Co.

life's new window
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have used these in the past, they work well
https://www.rei.com/product/676442/mcnett-gore-tex-fabric-repair-kit-ii-taslan
bdc40f7d-50fd-4b37-9363-f38f5c722174.jpeg

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Aquaseal works great on the mini gashes, for the big boy the patch above will work fine. Aquaseal is easy to get on line or from a scuba shop, but dries out quickly unless stored in the freezer in a tightly sealed glass jar.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Agree with suggestion above to use the GearAid goretex patches from REI, but I also have black pants.

Right next to it in the Gear Aid rack, there will be Tenacious Tape patches in several colors including clear, that you can use with/without aquaseal, but it will be much messier and rigid as compared to the name brand goretex patches which are more fabricy and flexible.

If appearance matters to you, in my experience, the clear tape patches may brown and crack after a season and then end up looking equally as bad as a black rounded rectangle, so it's a losing battle.
Another approach is you patch from the interior, then there's not really as much showing, but then for sure you would also need to use seal from the frontside and have just a dark mark there from the aqualseal/seamseal.

All that being said, it does look like backcountry does have a clear goretex patch avail, but I haven't tried this exact product.
https://www.backcountry.com/simms-gore-tex-repair-kit-mens

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I've put gashes in numerous pants and I'll be honest when I say I'm not all that worried about how they look after I do a repair. for me the best repair is a needle and thread. I sit in front of the TV and basically do a running stich and make sure I keep the stiches close. It works great and honestly how much moisture leakage are you going to get through a 1.5 inch sewn up section.

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
I’ve used Therm-a-Rest patches before, mainly because I have a few kits of them that I keep with the camping and backpacking stuff. It works. Not sure about the current color options but my old kits had several colors each.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
I had the same thing happen on some beige/brown/khaki pants, and used ReviveX Gore Tex patches, but I can't find them in any colour but black now.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
In terms of duct tape, it works, but it's not washable. If you're looking to get a lot of life out of the pants, washing greatly impacts durability, especially for a hardshell where dirt & oils degrade the membrane.

TS
Eric267

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Currently they are duct taped from the inside. My pants are pretty skanky at the moment and do need a wash badly. Part of the reason for the fix.

I'm pretty handy with a needle and thread but it's more complicated than that with all the little tiny tears.

As said in op all the local shops have the black patches. More of a preference for the clear ones I've used in the past that you can just kind of puzzle over the scratches and gashes

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one doing the inside patch with duct tape. ogsmile

I forgot to mention that I've used clear tenacious tape for repairs. They didn't last forever but the did last a long enough time to merit redoing them when they failed.

One key to external patches is to round the corners to make them less likely to catch on things.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
NOSO patches! Sticky patches for puffys and everything else that has the best glue I've ever come across in a patch.. You stick it on and essentially cure the glue by sticking it in the dryer or taking a hair dryer to it for a couple minutes. You can order direct or find them are REI now.

*Disclaimer, I do get free patches from time to time from Noso as their boss really likes my dog and my sisters dog on Instagram. But still, Noso patches are the best damn patch I've found.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
just patch it from the inside - gortex patch kit, noso, tenacious tape and then on the front just lay a small bead of seam sealer...or nothing. the seam sealer keeps material from fraying but use a toothpick or SBUX stirrer. Aquaseal dries clear. Ive patched my Dakine Double concourse so many time this way - it looks like a quilt.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Aquaseal works great on the mini gashes, for the big boy the patch above will work fine. Aquaseal is easy to get on line or from a scuba shop, but dries out quickly unless stored in the freezer in a tightly sealed glass jar.
Shoe goo

Sponsor

Staff online