• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best glove liners?

Basilherb

Booting up
Skier
I need very little this year but I still like shopping :)

I really like my Free the Powder mittens, but I often need to remove them for various mom duties - adjust goggles, zip this, help with this mitten, Velcro up this cuff, etc. I would like a pair of glove liners I can wear inside the mittens that I can use to keep the chill off my hands when I need to take off my mittens. I have liners from smartwool (too thick), and Hestra (immediately pulled when came in contact with velcro) but looking for something better.

wish list:
- does not get shredded/attach to velcro
- touch screen compatible
- slides easily in and out of the mittens which have a fleecy lining

What do you have that works? This seems like a simple ask but reviews seem all over the place!

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a love/hate relationship with glove liners. Really like how they keep my hands warm on cold New England days, but hate how they stick to velcro and develop holes in a dozen or so days. Especially since the shops charge $15 or $20 for a pair. I started using light knit gloves bought in bulk from Amazon. They are cheap (about $1-2 a pair) and surprising don't seem to stick to the Velcro as bad as the expensive liners. A pair seem to last 30 days without developing holes. Here's a link to the last batch I bought 2 seasons ago. Still have most of them unused.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The red ones :ogbiggrin: I have the RX Pro mittens and the liners that go with them. They are kind of bulky inside the mitten but when my day starts well below zero I'm glad I have them. Yes they can get wet. I carry an addition pair of gloves and some days don't mess with the liners. I will take my mittens off and put on my favorite Kinco gloves to do what I need to do and then put the mittens back on.

Have you looked at some of the gloves designed for cell phone use? They are super thin and seem to grip. Not sure how warm they are.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I use outdoor research pl100 or base layer gloves, which was the light weight.

I think that branding is gone though and got relaunched though as "Vigor". I don't have this exactly, but it is worth a look.

Here is link, should be able to find on Amazon or many outdoor stores.

For your specific points though,

yes FTP with hestra handcuffs or ftp equivalent, I can easily drop off the mitts on the lifts and fiddle with whatever and not worry about the gloves.

I wasn't sure if you meant Velcro on your gloves or the kids. I use the long cuff version of ftp gloves, so Velcro from my gloves not an issue, rather just pull drawstrings to cinch.
The OR fabric is smooth like Lycra, not knit so it doesn't nget caught on other Velcro hooks that much.

The OR "sensor" finger pads do work on touchscreen but it is still a little clumsy, especially if the liner isn't a perfect fit and the fabric bunches up. Over time what happens is you eventually just wear through a small hole on the index finger and/or thumb. Using the phone with the hole is actually going to work better, but still keep your hand 95% protected.

I use Liners also even on warm days, as it then works as a wicking layer.

Have several pairs of gloves in rotation, and get regularly machine washed using a delicates mesh wash bag along with buffs and facemasks.

Finally I consciously chose the bright neon green ones which also is a way for me to get spotted when I need to wave and get someone's attention.

Last edited:
TS
B

Basilherb

Booting up
Skier
My favorite glove ever - PEARL iZUMi Escape Light Glove Liners. I like for their soft, comfortable fabric that is both touch screen compatible and resistant to velcro.

They are also thin enough to fit easily inside your mittens without being too bulky:)

Are those these here? Pearl Izumi Thermal Lite Glove

They look about right and the price is good...!!

TS
B

Basilherb

Booting up
Skier
I use outdoor research pl100 base layer gloves, which was the light weight.

I think that branding is gone though and got relaunched though as "Vigor".

Here is link, should be able to find on Amazon or many outdoor stores.

For your specific points though,

yes FTP with hestra handcuffs or ftp equivalent, I can easily drop off the mitts on the lifts and fiddle with whatever and not worry about the gloves.

I use the long cuff version of ftp gloves, so Velcro is not an issue, rather just pull drawstrings to cinch.

The or "sensor" finger pads do work on touchscreen but it is still a little clumsy, especially if the liner isn't a perfect fit and the fabric bunches up. Over time what happens is you eventually just wear through a small hole on the index finger and/or thumb and that is actually going to work better, and still keep your hand 95% protected.

I use Liners also even on warm days, as it then works as a wicking layer.

Have several pairs of gloves in rotation, and get regularly machine washed using a delicates mesh wash bag along with buffs and facemasks.

Thanks! Those look good too.

The velcro isn't on the mittens, it's on my jacket cuffs and all over my kids!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks! Those look good too.

The velcro isn't on the mittens, it's on my jacket cuffs and all over my kids!
Great made some edits to my posts. Yea it's smooth like rashguard material, I never really had a big issue with velcro.
Found a new pair I had in reserve and took pictures. Hopefully the current one is similar or you can find something else.

16933428723126558313869768802808.jpg 16933429194723142151802593960304.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online