• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best ‘action sport’ films?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Me and a brah were having some beers and talking film/surf/ski, and the discussion went down the worm hole of best ‘action sport’ films. We were thinking more about the best ‘films’ that ‘transcend’ the genre and appeal to a wider audience and good to great cinematography vs trick flicks.

My first few were:
Any Given Sunday
Endless Summer
Step into Liquid
Dust to Glory
(I never realized i was such a Brown family fan boy!!)
Tread
Ride the Divide
Yearbook(im not sure non-skiers r into? McConkey, what else can I say..)
Bones Brigade
The Alpinist
Free Solo

What did I miss/forget? My ski film list is small, I was having a hard time thinking of many that weren't just trick-flicks. Ive dragged more poor wife to plenty of Warren Miller movies during the fall(s) and I don't think any of those make the cut(cliffs and hucks)?!?!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I love step into liquid.

Here are mine

blue crush
north shore
Big wednesday
Point break
Dogtown z boys
Endless summer
Riding giants
Point break (original)
Step into liquid

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm not sure fiction movies are the same as action sports that cross the divide, you might as well chuck in Bond and MI as Point Break. Obviously sports based fiction is its own genre of which Any Given Sunday is a good example but you could add anything from Escape to Victory to Field of Dreams.

Basically I'd consider things like Free Solo,14 Peaks,Senna and Closer to the Edge as documentary based projects with crossover appeal. You'd have to look at streaming platform data to see if any ski movies actually cut though in that way

TS
chris_the_wrench

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
I'm not sure fiction movies are the same as action sports that cross the divide, you might as well chuck in Bond and MI as Point Break
I was primarily thinking non-fiction. I could consider adding Le Mans.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
What did I miss/forget? My ski film list is small, I was having a hard time thinking of many that weren't just trick-flicks. Ive dragged more poor wife to plenty of Warren Miller movies during the fall(s) and I don't think any of those make the cut(cliffs and hucks)?!?!

The Last Race https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13275560/
Downhill Racer
The Big Blue

are all at least as 'non-fiction' as Le Mans

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

skiJ

Getting off the lift
Skier
I still appreciate the story about Kye in, 'Edge of Never' and Aselme Baud and Plake... and

the segment on Coombses in STEEP.

and the segment about Bill Briggs in STEEP...

elsewhere, I have characterized the introduction of Scot Schmidt in WMiller's, 'Ski Time' as the beginning of a *new movement* - and somewhere there is an interview of SS and WM from thirty years later of the impact that had for each of them !

I believe 'Blizzard of Ahhhs' deserves mention in this thread on this website.
( so noted. )

... thanks. skiJ

I'm not-sure where the line gets drawn for 'non-fiction' but the first movie ( /film(?)) I thought of was 'North Dallas Forty' , and another was the original, 'Brian's song'

I also thought of, 'Running Brave',, the story of Billy Mills and the 1964 Olympic 10,000m race.

another special mention ( for "sports" ) > 'Rocky' .

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I consider this a documentary but a great movie none the less. Rodney Mullen is the man.

If there wasn't the documentary, I would agree but the movie wasn't as good.

What about Better off Dead? @crgildart you are slipping.
He said primarily non fiction..

+1 to STEEP

Winter Equinox if you can get a copy

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
First l remember was Endless Summer… Documentary or Action Film :huh:

Sponsor

Staff online