• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Benni Walch

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Anybody care to comment on this video. Great skiing, but I have to say I’m scratching my head a bit about the pole plant.

Disinterested

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think Benni's really extended pole plant he's managed to turn in to a mechanism to allow him to get a lot of inclination - it's like it holds his upper body above it while his legs keep travelling out and away. And it torques him a little in to the new turn for free which helps the leg tipping.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
I think Benni's really extended pole plant he's managed to turn in to a mechanism to allow him to get a lot of inclination - it's like it holds his upper body above it while his legs keep travelling out and away. And it torques him a little in to the new turn for free which helps the leg tipping.
Good observation. Could be.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
He can turn both left and right, very well.
Enjoy the dynamic projection of his body down the Fall line. Would be interesting to see him in some longer turns too.

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
This thread fails to deliver on the promised monitoring of human rights in West Africa.
Auto correct wins again. It was so insistent that I not type Walch that I missed Benin.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nothing really unique here, he just does it very well, very athletically. He lets the skis get way forward to load the tails, then releases and lets the skis jet forward (50+ years ago we called them jet turns). While he's in the air he pulls his feet back to get centered so the ski tips engage to begin the next turn. I don't know if he finds the late pole release functional or just photogenic.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
One of the best skiers currently posting content. So dynamic. So athletic. So precise. What he does on the snow, few can duplicate.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
One of the best skiers currently posting content. So dynamic. So athletic. So precise. What he does on the snow, few can duplicate.
That's what my 56-year-old hips and knees think, too. The older I get the more I love watching frisky young folks. I have remind myself I was once that way, too.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm scratching my head a bit about the pole plant.
One of the drills in the full video is about leaving the pole tip in the snow longer, and using it as a pivot point. Also look at the length of the poles. Which maybe promotes the idea of the drill.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
I bought the subscription to watch this video as he does look fantastic doing these turns. He states that he was inspired to make these turns by a trip to Japan and it seems obvious that they are just short turns using bump skiing techniques on groomers. Since bump skiing is quite popular in Japan, it makes sense that people in Japan would ski like this. The only part that doesn't make sense in the video is that he does this with his upper cuff buckles completely off. Any thoughts on this idea of not buckling?

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
You know what would have been helpful? Stating what you think it is. You know what is not helpful? Disagreeing without actually adding anything.

I understand and it was a rude way to make a point. I see the skis leaving the snow to tighten the turn since those turns are too tight to carve. As far as the buckles at the top, I also keep my buckles open or at the softest setting. It's a bit risky from an injury standpoint but I need the softer boot in bumps or steeps. I can't ski bumps with a snug and stiff boot. The softer setting seems to bring the feet into play as well.

Sponsor

Staff online