• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
...before I put bindings on my brand new Brahmas...

I'm having second thoughts.

I have heard they are great skis and they aren't quite as stiff as they use to be...

but then I keep reading that they are stiff and require to you always be on top of your game...

Sometimes I just want a leisurely stroll down the mountain!

So, while they are still flat and in plastic and will have higher resale / trade value I'm thinking of going in another direction.

I've been skiing for about 7 years, get about 15 to 20 days a year, I'm 5'9' 190 pound somewhat fit but not too active when I'm not skiing guy!

I am sorted for my "go out west" skis and I'm looking for something to eventually replace my Salomon Rocker 2 90 skis that are getting up there in age - looking for a not-too-stiff medium flex all conditions Vermont ski.

I'm currently looking at Nordica Navigator 90's and Atomic Vantage 95C skis.

Am I on the right track?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes we have said that there are a lot of good skis, with the Brahma being one of them for sure and there are a lot of wrong skis, are you asking if the Brahma is a wrong ski for you? Yes, the Brahma is a ton more demanding than your old Rocker2 and with your weight you should have no problem bending it with good technique. The Brahma is on the stiffer side of medium but not overly stiff. Maybe the Nav90 is the perfect ski but honestly there is no perfect ski and I will say the Brahma is by no means a bad or wrong ski for you. IMHO, you own it, embrace it and make it your bitch and you will be rewarded.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with Phil that you should rip the new Brahmas unless you got the 187cm length or something as you don’t specify what length you got. Think the 173cm would be pretty easy to ski with your size, the 180cm being more stable and a little more demanding but still skiable for you.

The Brahma is stiffer than the Rocker 2 90 but will reward you with MUCH better hard snow performance. Brahma a great daily driver for Vermont.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
I went with 173. Seemed long enough since there isn’t a whole lot of rocker causing them to ski short.

If I’d be happier on other skis, especially other, more versatile, all conditions type of ski, I still may want to switch over.

I have Salomon Enduro RS800 Ti skis, which only have a few days on them, for those REALLY hardpack days (which I try to avoid anyway).

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems that this is perfect justification for more skis. Don’t fight it, go with the flow. Drink the koolaid. More skis are always better!!

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
173 will be perfect for you then! You have the size to make them flex no problem but they would have a stronger backbone than the Rocker 2 90. Brahma really is a great all around ski.

Think if I was going to choose another ski other than the Brahma, it would maybe be the Rustler 9. You’d give up some harder snow performance but you have carvers for that. It has similar feel underfoot to the Brahma and get a more playful feel and better soft snow/powder performance with the Rustler 9.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Without demoing or trying this ski or other skis, how will you ever really know?

Just looking at different reviews of the Brahmas, it sure sounds like it is a ski that you can handle and have fun with it.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You bought the Brahmas for valid reasons. As long as those reasons still exist (no amputations or the like) mount and ski the skis. You don't really get to know equipment until you own it. Often, to know it is to love it. Sometimes your skills improve to match the ski (good!).

You've already taken a hit in value by just taking them out of the store. With what the other aspects of skiing cost, ski depreciation is minor. And there's a good chance that you will love the skis and ride the life out of them - that's the goal.

I demoed Brahmas a while ago. Their versatility stood out. They certainly are a reasonable ski choice. Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy your new skis proudly.

Eric

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
It seems that this is perfect justification for more skis. Don’t fight it, go with the flow. Drink the koolaid. More skis are always better!!

Nnnaaahhh, I already scratched that itch! This would be a one for one swap.

TS
T

TimothyD11

Booting up
Skier
Alright I’ll consider keeping them. Just concerned about them being too demanding and perhaps not that great in soft snow.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alright I’ll consider keeping them. Just concerned about them being too demanding and perhaps not that great in soft snow.

With the 187cm version maybe but the 180cm and especially the 173cm will be very easy to ski with your size. Read the Blistergear review of the Brahma and the reviewer is 20lbs lighter than you and he’s skiing the stiffer 180cm size. I think they will be a big upgrade over your old skis in hard or soft snow.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier

At some point the brahma changed, just can't remember what year.

I demoed Brahmas in a 173 in soft spring snow in southern vermont in April of 2017. Just wrapping up season 4 at that point. I found them easy to ski and good in soft snow. My SO demoed hem a year prior in soft packed powder at the Arizona snowbowl in January. I don't think they will be to much ski at all. Don't sell, you'll always wonder.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
At some point the brahma changed, just can't remember what year

Last year is when they changed, so the 2017/18 model year which is unchanged for 2018/2019. When they changed to the black/grey/red topsheets, that’s the latest version. So your SO on the old version for sure and not sure on what you tried.

So even “less demanding and more playful” than the ones you both probably tried and better in soft snow.

I’ve tried older versions in the 180cm and I’m 175lbs and didn’t find them hard to ski at all. Think a lot of the people who say they were demanding maybe skied on longer lengths than they should have for their size or ability. ‍♂️

You’ve got no excuses now Timothy. Mount those bindings up and let them rip!

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Unfortunately they didn't have the Brahma where I was renting demos last year. However, I've skied several "stiff, unforgiving, bring your A game hard chargers, apparently they were just Marketing "stiff, unforgiving, bring your A game hard chargers"; there's a lot of that going around.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend who skis the older version Brahma's and I just bought the new version. The funny thing is I loved the older version and it was my favorite demo ski of all time. I have always wanted a pair and only this summer pulled the trigger. I am a XXL guy and bought the new version in 187 cm. I am hoping the new version is not too soft and dumbed down. My friend is about the OP's size and has skied the Brahma's for 4 years now in the 180 cm size. I will say he finds his skis a little stiff at times and wishes for a softer, less demanding ski sometimes, he also really likes the ski at other times. He is looking at Nordica Enforcer's and actually looking at this years Brahma because it is slightly softer and less demanding. I haven't skied my new skis, so I can't offer any feedback except when I hand flex the new Brahma's they are my softest ski in my quiver. I don't think they are super stiff and demanding, but its all relative to what your norm is.

OP, if you have the new versoin (black with small red bull) I think you will really like em and I suggest putting bindings on them. You could always sell them at the end of the season if you don't fall in love with them. Just keep them in good shape. I would suggest Tyrollia Attack13 demo bindings which will adjust to any boot size. They are sold by Level 9 for a great price and I have several pairs and really like them. They seem to get positive reviews on this site by others.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
The Brahma is my everyday VT ski, I Really like them. I have a set of Bonafides too if I want something wider/beefier. Don’t over think our purchase, get ‘em mounted and go rock ‘em.

Sponsor