• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear trapped in Subaru

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bear trapped in Subaru

From CBS news....
A Colorado teen decided she wasn't going to work after discovering a bear had locked itself in her Subaru. Sheriff's deputies in Jefferson County, Colo., responded to the call about a bear stuck inside a car on Tuesday morning. The vehicle belonged to 17-year-old Annie Bruecker, who admitted she forgot to lock it the night before. "My mom screamed from downstairs and I thought that I was in trouble," Bruecker told local Denver media. "She said, 'Annie, there's a bear in your car.'" Bruecker is still wondering how the bear managed to lock itself inside the vehicle. The windows weren't broken, but somehow the bear was able to crawl inside and close the door. Once inside, it trashed the interior while trying to escape.
In a video recorded by one of the deputies, the bear is seen clawing at the doors and windows while the deputy asks, "How'd you get in there, bear?"

Deputies decided the only way to let the bear out was to pop open the rear hatch. One of the deputies opened the hatch while another stood nearby with a shotgun. As soon as the hatch opened, the bear jumped out and scampered into the forest. Colorado deputies said bears often get into cars looking for food and are usually long gone by the time police respond to a call. Unfortunately for this bear, there was no food in Bruecker's Subaru. While there are no broken windows or exterior damage to the SUV, the interior of Bruecker's car appears unsalvageable

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Saw that. Does insurance pay to replace the car??

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw that. Does insurance pay to replace the car??
Yeah, it happened a few years ago to Jim Fowler (SierraJim), destroyed his Honda Element.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
A few weeks ago I was at Donner Lake and realized, while in bed, that I hadn't locked the car, and the windows were down. Not at all worried about crime, and nothing was in the car. I fell asleep and nothing bad happened. But next time, i think I'll go close/lock the car. my god that Subaru is TRASHED!

Not to mention the trauma on the poor bear.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A few weeks ago I was at Donner Lake and realized, while in bed, that I hadn't locked the car, and the windows were down. Not at all worried about crime, and nothing was in the car. I fell asleep and nothing bad happened. But next time, i think I'll go close/lock the car. my god that Subaru is TRASHED!

Not to mention the trauma on the poor bear.
Surprised mom didn't come to help.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
When we go to hike to camping we hang the food from the trees in bags when not cooking or eating. At family friendly car camping places we leave the food in the car, windows rolled up and doors locked. Wildlife will scamper between the tents at night, or during the day when nobody is around making a lot of noise. We only really think about bears when we're in the hike to terrain though.. Heck, just french fries in the carpet and a burger wrappers in your trash are enough to catch the keen nose of a passing bear. Definitely going to try harder to lock the doors regardless hahahaha..

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I once worked in a logging camp with access from Tofino B.C. via boat. We worked 10 days in and 4 days off. So one time the foreman parked his pickup by the wharf and caught the boat to Tofino, leaving a window partly open in the pickup. Well a raven got in the pickup but spent 4 days in there because once in it couldn't get out and of course it shit every where.

This got the returning crew laughing and telling similar stories. Here is my favourite:

During a 4 day shut down when things get quiet in camp but the smells from the cookhouse linger, the bears often head into camp. On this particular occasion the camp watchman shot a bear and decided as a joke to put the carcass in the foreman's pickup, complete with hard hat, behind the steering wheel. Everyone got a good laugh coming off the boat when they returned to camp after 4 days off, but the unintended consequence is that rigor-mortise had set in and they were unable to get the bear carcass out of the pickup. So being loggers, out come the chain saws and off come some body parts creating a gigantic mess inside the pickup.

Any other bear stories from Pugs?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I bet the smell was unbearable!

Sponsor

Staff online