• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Safety Beacon advice

udailey

Browsing Garage sale and eBay
Skier
With so many avalanche reports this year I'm thinking more often about buying a beacon. I started skiing inbounds bowls and trees in the bowls and there has been a heck of a lot of snow. Lost my friends in the trees and that was a scary feeling. They were thirty feet away but couldn't see or hear them. Need a beacon.
I don't know what to buy. What's a good beacon and what's a bad beacon? Are they all the same in different packaging? This is an area I have no experience at all. So take it easy on me as I don't know what to do or not to do yet.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

First off, beacons aren’t useful unless the user is trained, and practices regularly, so there’s more to it than purchasing.

I’m most familiar with Mammut and Pieps brands, and passably familiar with BCA. Ortovox and Arva also make beacons, but the popularity and availability of Mammut, Pieps, and BCA have me directing most newbies to those brands. Mammut in particular has a good reputation for performance and reliability.

A newbie should probably avoid buying a used beacon, one doesn’t know the use history of a used beacon, and beacons undergo updating and refinement. Newer beacons tend to be more capable and reliable.

Some manufacturers have different models of beacons at different price points with different features. The less expensive ones are exactly as safe and functional as the more expensive ones, so when reading the reviews and discussing the pros and cons, one should avoid the idea that the more expensive ones are safer or perform better during searches just because they cost more. The most important features are ease of use, personal compatibility (how well the user interacts, aka ergonomics), and range. Many of the features on the more expensive models are most useful to pros and advanced users. It’s also worth noting that the effective range of beacons is around 40-60 meters which limits the usefulness for ”looking for friends.”

Over their lifetime beacons can experience a certain amount of “frequency drift” so annual checking and updating is a good idea. I’m just trying to make the point that buying one and strapping it on isn’t going to help. Knowledge, practicing, training, and maintenance are required for effective use.

It‘s also worth considering that locating a buried partner is one thing, but rescuing and resuscitating them requires further gear and training.

Last edited:

Danny

aka Cometjo
Skier
Nothing wrong with a beacon, though it won't do you any good unless your friends have one too. For the situation you describe though, losing your friends in the trees, the best thing would be if you all carried whistles. Cheapest safety device you can buy and one of the most useful.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
It's become apparent that my family loves skiing, but not as much as I do and my friends are the same. So, like this time I'm going skiing for a week next week and I'll be alone. I'll only ski bowls and their trees with a partner, so whomever I find on the hill will be a random person. It seems this will be my situation for many years to come until my wife retires and will tolerate more outings. So my goal right now is TO BE rescued. Most likely by ski patrol if the situation occurs. I love taking any informative classes offered on the hill and an avalanche safety, rescue, course would be wonderful and I'll take it if it's offered on any trip I go on which will make my beacon doubly useful. I only get to ski on maybe three trips a year. So, I guess this all comes down to wondering which beacon has the best transmitter, battery life and doesn't malfunction.
I know summit county has had a great amount of snow and that's why I'm headed up there. If I find a ski partner I'll be in the bowls and I'm just concerned about getting buried and found. If they got buried my first thing would be to mark us on gps, call patrol, then narrow down where they could be on my beacon. I'll YouTube and read about locating and if there is a lesson I'll be involved.
I agree with the whistle and it's on it shopping list now. Thank you. And thank you both for your responses.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On the reviews section of beaconreviews.com there are two listed that have “nothing significant” in the “Cons” part. The Mammut Barryvox and the Pieps/BD Powder/Recon. Just sayin’.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Agreed. I think the mammut will be it. 70m search range and great reviews.
Thanks guys.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Everything @pais alto says but DONT overlook easy to use in your case and the fact that your partner needs to know how to use one as well.
Mammut is king but make sure you need all the functions and aren’t overwhelmed by the customized settings.
The money saved between the Mammut and say the Orthovox or BCA might be better used for a shovel / probe and a Avi course

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Thanks slarver. I'll give the reviews of range a twice over compared to simplicity before I decide. Also checking my local store for what they carry and what they'll price match. EU price seems a bit cheaper and I've got them to match EU prices most times I ask.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For the scenario you mentioned about losing your partner in the trees - big fan of skiing with one of the BCA radios. Clips on a pack and easily accessible for a quick check in.

For a beacon, any 3 antenna beacon will get the job done. The only one I find to be a liability is an Arva one that has to be clicked into the harness to turn on. It gives you less options if you want to switch to a beacon pocket and it doesn’t have a tether so you can search with it on your person.

Mammut makes a great beacon, but I think people get a little too excited about the 70m of range. A - if you’re only using one to get rescued, your search strip doesn’t really matter. B - it’s only 1 of 3 variables I find most important in search, with the other two being update speed and fine search. Update speed is super important because search happens on a flux line. It’s not uncommon for most recreational users to see an arrow pop up, haul ass in that direction, and then end up taking extra time getting back towards the victim. You can only move as fast as your beacon can register your new position and display new distance & direction data. Mammut does fine here but it’s not best in class.

I ski with a Tracker 2, which is both cheap and beginner friendly (it’s big and loud and has directions on it). But Squaw patroller/heli guide/AIARE instructor Lel Tone uses it too because of how much practice she has with it - that makes her way more effective than any of the bells and whistles with newer designs. My only complaint is that it’s a little bulky for inbounds use.

I’d pick just about any 3 antenna beacon with a solid price (but ideally not used since the antennae can bend or break over time and should be checked by an experienced user to make sure it’s functioning normally). Then funnel the difference into a course like SAFE AS that’ll teach you how to avoid avalanches and how to rescue and is the only course totally catered to inbound skiers.
0EE681D4-BDBC-4965-BDA9-386F3F79825B.jpeg

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
Analisa thanks for that info. I have been reading about it after your post.
I did make a purchase just now. I am getting the BD Recon BT. https://beaconreviews.com/Specs_PiepsPowderBDRecon.php
Found it on FreezeProShop for 227 and had some points with them that got me another 11.20 off plus free shipping. Figure thats a good deal for a good beacon.
I appreciate the good advice. You all definitely pointed me in the right direction and noted some things I would not have known. Thanks so much.

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Latching onto this thread as I'm considering upgrading my beacon. I currently have a Tracker2 as it was cheap and easy to use to start and it's been great. However, I'm looking into doing an Avy 2 next winter, which requires a flagging feature (at least Silverton Avy School says they require one) and I'm considering Barryvox or Recon. These two seem like a good step from a Tracker, but not overwhelming.

Has anyone else made this transition or have first hand knowledge of using the Barryvox or Recon?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Latching onto this thread as I'm considering upgrading my beacon. I currently have a Tracker2 as it was cheap and easy to use to start and it's been great. However, I'm looking into doing an Avy 2 next winter, which requires a flagging feature (at least Silverton Avy School says they require one) and I'm considering Barryvox or Recon. These two seem like a good step from a Tracker, but not overwhelming.

Has anyone else made this transition or have first hand knowledge of using the Barryvox or Recon?
I use the a Barryvox regularly. I‘ll assume you've read the reviews in the link I posted above, so you probably know both the Barryvox and the Recon are excellent transceivers. You wouldn’t go wrong to get either one. To choose, maybe you can check them both out in person and see if the ergonomics of one suits you more than the other. Performance-wise it’s pretty much draw. If you train and practice regularly with the one you get, you’ll be doing well. Your current Tracker 2 will make a great beacon to search for.

TS
udailey

udailey

Skier
I'd just add that my beacon arrived from the freeze pro shop two days after placing my order. Free shipping via Fed ex international from the U.K. cost me about $220 for the black diamond recon. I'm pretty pleased. PS they give nice discounts when your order is over $100 but this does not apply to beacons.

Mattadvproject

Love that powder!
Industry Insider

Yes, I have the Barryvox S and it's the best beacon I have used. I have trained with a lot of beacons out there and have owned the Ortovox X-1, Tracker DTS 1, Mammut Pulse and now the Barryvox S. For more complex beacon work, it has a lot of great features and is very intuitive. You can fine tune the functions to your liking and the multiple burial/flagging feature works seamlessly. The range is long (70m) and the processor is fast. I'd definitely give it my recommendation @SkiFiore .

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the basic Barryvox, and it works great (and indeeed, I do usually get the 70m signal acquisition).
Easy and intuitive multi burial functions.

Sponsor

Staff online