• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Base layer / Underwear question

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
ok.. so some of you might find this question entertaining...

when wearing a bottom base layer like the 32 Degree Heat does one typically wear under wear (briefs or boxers), under the base layer?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
See the "Cold Junk" thread :roflmao:

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
See the "Cold Junk" thread :roflmao:
Yes as I was typing I thought of that thread and went briefly to look for it but couldn't find it.

Maybe I should have added the following assumption to my original post:

Assuming that being cold is not a concern so the underwear would not be worn for warmth.

I noticed the 32 Degree Heat base layer bottoms have the "opening" or "fly" "access point" similar to briefs so I guess they were made to have nothing under them.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yes as I was typing I thought of that thread and went briefly

:D

Assuming that being cold is not a concern so the underwear would not be worn for warmth.

If being cold is not a concern, ditch the base layer and go socks + briefs. The ONLY reason to wear the base layer is if cold is a concern.

You are, however, correct in suspecting that underwear is not worn for warmth here. I mean ...on the second and third day ....eeeew.

I noticed the 32 Degree Heat base layer bottoms have the "opening" or "fly" "access point" similar to briefs so I guess they were made to have nothing under them.

Most mens pants have flies - doesn't mean they're meant for commando operation.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
:D

If being cold is not a concern, ditch the base layer and go socks + briefs. The ONLY reason to wear the base layer is if cold is a concern.

You are, however, correct in suspecting that underwear is not worn for warmth here. I mean ...on the second and third day ....eeeew.

Most mens pants have flies - doesn't mean they're meant for commando operation.
sorry I wasn't clear.

I want to wear a base layer for initial warmth. That being said are there reasons other than warmth to wear underwear under the base layer?

For those who wear base layer bottoms do you wear underwear as well for reasons besides extra warmth.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Yeh, hygiene. Most of us have much more underwear than ski base layers, and laundering base layers on a daily basis is both costly and often unfeasible.
great, got it... this is what I thought and was looking for.... I have a few pairs of exofficios that I can wear under my base layer...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have many more sets of boxer brief underwear than I do wool baselayers, so I will wear the boxer briefs under the base layers so I don’t have to launder the base layers as often.

Also, a boxer brief keeps essential body parts a little more contained.

And just habit, I guess.

Also, if I get really wild with the après, and do something crazy like strip off my jacket, shell pants, midlayers and base layers, I still have the boxer briefs on when I jump into a pool, or into a snow bank, or a rave scene at the club. It could happen.....

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alternate approach here. Just the base layer unless it's cold. Newly washed base layer every ski day, mostly Patagonia, but I've got a few of the cheap 32 Degree's from Costco as a backup. Isn't there some sort of "free the junk" movement?

I have a lot more base layers than sans-cotton boxer briefs. I learned long ago to never wear cotton in any outdoor activities. My ski pants are generally thin enough that I need a base layer for most ski days. On a spring day, I'll go with just a performance boxer brief or boxer.

I recently bought these boxer briefs for running from STP, but they should also work great for skiing. They fit more like a boxer brief than the labeled "compression" and are a great deal:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/saucony-isofit-compression-boxer-briefs-for-men~p~567hx/

Edit: adding to the pun, check out this brand:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/mypakage-weekday-boxer-briefs-for-men~p~9276h/

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I alternate between smartwool merino wool pants and top or Patagonia capaline top & pants. I can’t decide which I like better. I use a fresh set of pants & tops just like underwear ( UA or Patagonia Boxer Breif) I’m not a fan of reusing or flipping inside out.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wear a 3/4 length compression thermal legging from Virus.. so nothing under them since they are a compression base layer.

Sponsor

Staff online