• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New England Balsams Receives Wetlands Permit; Redevelopment Is On A Roll

Carl

On the north side of the mountain
Skier
It looks like Les Otten is moving forward with his new project to expand the Balsams wilderness ski area. I was surprised to read that the plans include 2,000 acres of alpine terrain serviced by 23 lifts at final build-out. I visited the area in 1985 for a conference but never skied there. It was very small back then. It is a beautiful area in northern New Hampshire. Here is the article...

http://www.snocountry.com/en/news/entry/balsams-receives-wetlands-permit-re-development-is-on-a-roll

Here are some details on the expansion plans...

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com...wHampshire/balsamswilderness/dixvillepeak.php

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I kinda don't get this dev. Is there really a prospect to make money at it? Seems like there are a lot of legit good resorts already that don't seem to be swimming in cash..

James

Out There
Instructor
I think It's part of the thinking that the only reliable snow in the future will be North. South of Stowe basically will be rough. So Jaypeak, Burke, now Balsalms. That Northeast Kingdom is more likely to be in snow even now and Balsalms is way east and north.
I suppose the Maine resorts will hurt from this a little and maybe less to Tremblant. Possibly Jay loses some?

scott43

Skier
I think It's part of the thinking that the only reliable snow in the future will be North. South of Stowe basically will be rough. So Jaypeak, Burke, now Balsalms. That Northeast Kingdom is more likely to be in snow even now and Balsalms is way east and north.
I suppose the Maine resorts will hurt from this a little and maybe less to Tremblant. Possibly Jay loses some?

I suppose that's possible. And the base elevation is a bit higher than the Quebec resorts. I dunno..I wish him luck!

TS
Carl

Carl

Skier
I'll be curious to see what kind of terrain they end up with. That area is absolutely beautiful so it should be a nice place to ski.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
I think there are a lot of people that plan to get rich building this resort. Operating it, not so much.

TS
Carl

Carl

Skier
I think there are a lot of people that plan to get rich building this resort. Operating it, not so much.

I'd like to see the business plan, with economic and financial analysis, used to raise the money.

Sponsor

Staff online