• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad crash but head is OK. Think I need a new helmet. Suggestions wanted...

Captain Furious

A ticking time bomb of fury
Skier
Gang,

I had a high speed crash today that caused me to bounce the back of my head off the piste. My son (who is a racer) and I were ripping down the slope doing high speed GS turns when he inadvertently cut me off (he's 14 and misjudged the distance), causing me to catch his tails, spin and crash and whip my head off the piste. I hit hard enough that I'l need to see the chiropractor for some adjustments as I'm sure there is an element of whip lash. I'm sore but in one piece.

So now I'm going to replace my helmet. I feel confident that it protected me from a concussion but I'm not confident that I it will protect me from a second big crash as I don't know if it was compromised. I was wearing a Sweet Protection Igniter with MIPS protection and am thinking about getting the same helmet or perhaps another helmet from Sweet Protection. However, I wanted to poll the group to see which helmets, in their experience, combine the best in comfort and protection.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Bill

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Well it appears that the one you had worked so if you like the helmet get another. At least that way you'll have confidence in what you're wearing.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Everybody's head is shaped differently, so the response will be the same as buying boots, get something that fits your head, and is comfortable.

Although, I don't think helmet fitters exist, so the response may be a bit different.

But yeah, if you like what you had and it fit well, get another.

Some companies have discounts if you have crashed and need a replacement, and Sweet Protection does have a program too: https://www.sweetprotection.com/en/crash-replacement-program.html

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
Everybody's head is shaped differently, so the response will be the same as buying boots, get something that fits your head, and is comfortable.

Although, I don't think helmet fitters exist, so the response may be a bit different.

But yeah, if you like what you had and it fit well, get another.

Some companies have discounts if you have crashed and need a replacement, and Sweet Protection does have a program too: https://www.sweetprotection.com/en/crash-replacement-program.html

I just checked this out. Unfortunately, the replacement program is only good in Europe. I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy another SP. This one definitely protected the ol' noggin so I'll grab another one.

Bill

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Watch for signs of concussion as well. I didn’t really think about after getting run into on Saturday but today I was diagnosed with a mild one along with the whiplash. I’ll be replacing my helmet as well.

TS
Captain Furious

Captain Furious

Skier
SP Trooper II ordered and on the way from Backcountry.com. I didn't realize it but I had the 1st iteration of the Trooper. Figured the second iteration is as good or better. Both version have MIPS. Hopefully, I won't need to worry about a concussion. So far, no concussion-type symptoms. I think my helmet really saved my bacon...

Bill

Sponsor

Staff online