• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Long Hair Hippy

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is a similar discussion that took place in another thread…. Feel free to merge if necessary

In light of the recent discussion regarding the A-Basin chair lift incident…Just got word today that guests wearing backpacks, employees and patrollers who wear backpacks will be required to remove and carry when boarding a lift. Belt style and fanny packs still OK. It did not take long for this to trickle down to the Midwest. A wise choice given how short our runs are and the amount of lift rides we have to take in a day chasing vertical. Not really much of a need to wear a pack around here anyway unless you are working and need to carry tools or lots of medical supplies. I wonder how long it will take before the pendulum swings completely in the direction of ”no” at all the resorts?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I stopped wearing a pack last year when it was affecting my turns and my skiing but even before that my worst fear was that the dangling straps would catch on the chair. At Jay Peak in Vermont you have to undo the bottom strap and put the pack on your lap which isn't a bad idea. Generally speaking people don't need to carry a backpack.

I don't think it'll take long at all for restrictions to be imposed on the use of backpacks. At a minimum you'll have to to undo the bottom strap and carry it on your lap when on the chair. Worst case they'll be banned but either way it won't be long as incidents keep occurring.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If two people within a short time frame get badly injured or killed by backpacks falling/dropped from liftst hat would be the time all backpacks are banned from the lift..

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Didn't think it would take long at all. Have to see what the scenario is at Tremblant this weekend. No need unless you're patrol or race crew either really. There are a lot of people that take lunch up to the top in a pack. But they usually leave it till heading down.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
This is a similar discussion that took place in another thread…. Feel free to merge if necessary

In light of the recent discussion regarding the A-Basin chair lift incident…Just got word today that guests wearing backpacks, employees and patrollers who wear backpacks will be required to remove and carry when boarding a lift. Belt style and fanny packs still OK. It did not take long for this to trickle down to the Midwest. A wise choice given how short our runs are and the amount of lift rides we have to take in a day chasing vertical. Not really much of a need to wear a pack around here anyway unless you are working and need to carry tools or lots of medical supplies. I wonder how long it will take before the pendulum swings completely in the direction of ”no” at all the resorts?

Uh-oh, this sounds like a case of leastcommondenominatoritis, potential pandemic forthcoming.

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I'm sure there have been backpack-snag incidents in the past going back many years, that were resolved without much fanfare or serious consequences for the victims. When you end up with someone hanging unconscious from a backpack and it makes the evening news, it triggers the "why didn't we consider that possibility before?" response and then they are forced to do something about it.

teledance

Booting up
Skier
If it's all buckled up its safer on your back it's those loose buckles that get you in trouble wherever your carrying it on a lift.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm sure there have been backpack-snag incidents in the past going back many years, that were resolved without much fanfare or serious consequences for the victims. When you end up with someone hanging unconscious from a backpack and it makes the evening news, it triggers the "why didn't we consider that possibility before?" response and then they are forced to do something about it.
When it happens THREE times in one month at two different resorts, all three made the new we watch, red flags fly everywhere.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
For years I have seen people and patrollers remove backpacks and put them on their laps when on the chairs. Also IIRC at Vail resorts there are signs that state that one should do that when boarding lifts. Have been there for years. I do not recall the wording exactly though. I myself have done it plenty of times just because its uncomfortable to leave the pack on and you cant sit all the way back.

teledance

Booting up
Skier
I've done it all, and it's always the loose buckle that got me, once had to slide .my nephew off my lap slide out of the pack turn around and hit the safety gate, litftie missed it all pack had to ride in shame to the bottom. Gotten it hung up in my lap. Never ever had a problem with it all snug on my back, yea you sit on less chair, but no surprises at the top. Went out for SC yesterday and again today pack with me, it'll be in my lap but bottom buckles are gone, I'll also have it up and out in front when I unload to avoid those surprises.

janeskis

Putting on skis
Skier
It's happened to me, too. My strap caught on the chair, and I dangled above the unload (liftie hit stop) before it broke and I crashed down. Had some epic bruises on my ass from the landing. That said, I still wear a pack every day! I need to have water and spare mittens with me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's happened to me, too. My strap caught on the chair, and I dangled above the unload (liftie hit stop) before it broke and I crashed down. Had some epic bruises on my ass from the landing. That said, I still wear a pack every day! I need to have water and spare mittens with me.
Same pack or dod you choose a different one that is less likely to get caught on the a chair?

janeskis

Putting on skis
Skier
Different pack, but it only got caught because it wasn't buckled. I replaced it because I couldn't repair the buckle. I make sure I'm buckled across chest and waist now.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Different pack, but it only got caught because it wasn't buckled. I replaced it because I couldn't repair the buckle. I make sure I'm buckled across chest and waist now.

That's what choked the guy out.. strap across chest connecting shoulder straps ended up under his chin when hanging, pun intended..

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If it's all buckled up its safer on your back it's those loose buckles that get you in trouble wherever your carrying it on a lift.

The difference being if it were to snag when you're holding it in your lap (far less likely, I'd have to say) it won't drag you around the bullwheel by your neck.

And I have to ask, why was your nephew on your lap on the lift?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Great plan if you are looking for hits on your rescue video.

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Summit_Chairlift_1024x1024.gif

What's needed is a backpack the rotates from back-to-front when loading a chair and automatically goes from front-to-back when getting off the lift. Wait, it already exists: https://us.wolffepack.com/products/summit

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just a note to identify that if you are a.. ahem..stouter gentleman, packs in laps is not necessarily compatible with bar down on some chairs

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If I'm hearing correctly, just swinging it around to the front won't satisfy the new rules. It can't be attached to your body at all. Has to be completely free and held by your hands in your lap.. Which may be worse for people skiing under the chairs when folks accidentally drop their pack with a shovel sticking out of it..

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I have said this before. In conversation with people who "make these kinds of rules", legal counsel, risk managers, insurers...and since then guys who run lift/mtn operations, I absolutely feel that it's 99% sure that we will see wearing a pack on a chairlift prohibited across the country by next season. The question is how soon some areas act to implement. Some are doing it right now.

It doesn't seem like a real hardship to carry it in your lap. Having seen folks who need a backpack for their work/roles do that for about 50 years, I think it works. Amazes me that anybody argues with the logic, or the fact that the industry will move in that direction.....even if it is an overreaction.

All it takes are senior managers to listen to and agree on these words: "we might be at risk." OK, so how do we mitigate that risk? Get the backpacks off people's backs on our lifts.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online