• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Vantage 90 CTI vs. Vantage 100 CTI

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Had the chance to demo the Vantage 90 CTI on 2 different days this week. First day was all hardpack with patches of ice ... not necessarily the ideal conditions suited to this ski. I must say, however, I was quite impressed with the carving prowess of these skis, and how easy they were for varying turn radii. After 4-6 inches of wetter snow one day, followed by 1-3 inches of dryer snow today, I took the skis back out for another test. The combination of light and lively feel, with carving capability and quick edge-to-edge transition in tight spaces was VERY attractive to me. No adjustment period for me on these skis, and they just seemed extremely versatile in terms of turn shape, conditions they were comfortable in, etc.

I am wondering what the impressions were of those who may have had the chance to ski both the 90 CTI and the 100 CTI. Do they ski very similarly, or are they 2 different skis underfoot? If the 100 CTI is just as versatile, light and lively, and if it is close to as quick edge-to-edge but adds some additional stability and damping, it could be the perfect ski for me!

One oddity I noticed with the 90 CTI. When I first got them on my feet, I was tapping them together on the lift. The sound they made was quite light and "woody", and it made me think this would be a ski that would be thrown around a bit in crud and likely not all that stable at higher speeds (for me, that is!) The performance on the hill belied those impressions, as I never felt it losing edge grip or nearing the edge of its stability envelope. It is clearly not as damp as many other "heavy metal" skis, but not a pushover in manky conditions either. The trade-off for light and lively energy and versatility seems like a good compromise for my purposes.

Would love to hear from those who have skied both the 90 CTI and the 100 CTI.

Royal

UTAH
Skier
I will try them both as well as the 95 if i can at our next demo day in 2 weeks. I skied the 100 last year on demo day and absolutely loved it. your description above matches my feelings from the 100. I would really like to know why atomic went with a 90,95,and 100. they seem so close. what is the intended purpose of each? I'll ask some questions of the reps and report back. I would love to hear from others about this too.

also please post up your height, weight, length of ski demoed, etc....

royal

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^ Not quite as much overlap as it would appear. 90cti and 100cti have metal, 95c does not.

5'6.5" 140lbs demoed 90cti and 95c 176cm and 178cm. Liked both, 90cti held a edge a little better. 95c, lighter probably slightly more playful and probably better float. Didn't get to do the demo in a mix of conditions and terrain to really say.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
also please post up your height, weight, length of ski demoed, etc....

royal

5'10", 167lbs. and I demo'd the 90 CTI in a 176cm length. Really enjoyed these skis ... my only hesitation is dampness/stability in crud/tougher snow. I know they won't blast through it like a Monster 88, etc., but hoping not to get bounced around too much either! As far as versatility of turn shape, carving/smearing capability, slow or high speed skiing is concerned, they were a blast!

ski-ra

Love them Steamboat trees!
Skier
See my stats below. Demo'd the 90CTi and 95C in 169/170cm in a variety of conditions. I found the 90CTi to be mostly a wide carver (i.e., fabulous on groomers but otherwise not floaty/smeary enough for pow and too stiff for bumps). I really liked the 95C (as would be expected for a lightweight) - you can read my lengthier impressions of these skis on p. 1 & 2 of my thread https://forum.pugski.com/threads/mid-fat-mid-quiver-for-a-lightweight.1181/. I really wanted to try the 100CTi instead of the 90 but, in the end, my experience with the 90 (i.e., too "planky") told me not to bother. I ended up buying the NRGy 100's since they provided better edge grip & power than the 95C's without being too stiff for me.

Last edited:

Royal

UTAH
Skier
I got out on some great skis at the ALTA demo day today. I was not able to get on the the Atomic95c it was never in the booth. I was however able to get out on both the 90cti and 100cti. first, I'm 5'9" 170lbs 45yo with (42 years on skis) I tried the 90's in a 184cm first and I thought they good but they felt like they wanted to stay in 1 turn shape almost "locked in" still very light and nimble but not chattery held great at speed. I did not have the same fun/wow feeling as I did last year on the 100cti. when I did get onto the 100 (188cm as the 180's were always out)it was just like last year. A super Fun, very agile ski that I could rip slalom turns, smear, make slow nice round turns or let them fly on high speed high angle GS turns at Mach schnell. All with out skipping a beat. still one of my favorite skis ever.

I was also really impressed with the ELAN RIPSTICK 89 in 180cm very nice light weight ski that really rips as it name implies. felt very similar to the Atomic and it has a very smililar shape. these were a very close second place I would buy these at the right price despite the color scheme, can you say BRIGHT:eek:. I also skied the Nordica Enforcer 100. they live up the hype. great versatile ski that can do it all, and so it well. it was more damp than the Vantage100 but also a little heavier. It was surprisingly quick, easy and smooth in the bumps. they nailed it with this ski, but personally I prefer a little lighter and livelier ski. I would ski them if they were given to me and I love the PROTO graphics but the regular proction color is just UGLY. I was also pleasantly surprised by the SALOMON MOUNTAIN 95. a touring oriented ski with lots of carbon but there was no chattering jitteryness often associated with light weight carbon skis. must be the FLAX. it was quick and light yet smooth and stable at high speed GS type turns and was fun, easy and SMOOTH in the bumps. the Dynastar mythic 94 Was a little disapointing by comparason. It has the same shape as the Cham but is much softer and has that typical Carbon "shake your fillings loose" feel in harder snow. would make a great touring ski for western type soft snow.

My daughter(5'6" 115 lbs) still LOVES the the Vantage 90(womens) 169cm (same construction as the 95 ie no metal) nothing else she tried felt as solid and /or fun for her. very confidence inspiring. she also liked the Nordica Santa Anna Very smooth and easy in the bumps but not as stable at high speed as the Vantage 90w. (interesting we both liked the Nordica Enforcer/Santa Anna in the bumps. maybe it's the small details like tip and tail shape that helped here.) she also skied the NRGY 100 but felt they had a longer turn radius that the Atomics. a close second place for her were the Dynastar Cham 97's they were just a little softer feeling than the atomic's at speed but other wise fun and easy in all the other conditions.

I was satisfying the find out that our impressions from last year were no fluke. the Atomics lived up the the memories we had of them even after another year of new/different skis and improved technique. now I just need to find a deal on some.:).

hope my impressions and ramblings have helped

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
See my stats below. Demo'd the 90CTi and 95C in 169/170cm in a variety of conditions. I found the 90CTi to be mostly a wide carver (i.e., fabulous on groomers but otherwise not floaty/smeary enough for pow and too stiff for bumps).

Felt the same way when I tested the 90CTi. I rather have a pure Carver that is a bit beefier or a much wider fun ski that can do it all. I did not feel the 90CTi was even remotely versatile enough as a One Ski Quiver for me at least out west so it sorta did not made sense to me.

I tried the 90's in a 184cm first and I thought they good but they felt like they wanted to stay in 1 turn shape almost "locked in" still very light and nimble but not chattery held great at speed.

I also tested a 184 and I agree.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. Sorted out my demo experience, research and reviews. Decided to buy the 100 CTI with Attack 13 Demo bindings ... if only there were skiing left to be done anywhere near me! I guess they will be waiting; shiny and new for next season!

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. Sorted out my demo experience, research and reviews. Decided to buy the 100 CTI with Attack 13 Demo bindings ... if only there were skiing left to be done anywhere near me! I guess they will be waiting; shiny and new for next season!

please do not forget to follow up next season when you are able to get out on them. we would love to hear your opinion of these skis.

royal

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Will try to remember! If I didn't have lots of family activity plans already, I'd be tempted to head out west to get a few days in on these!

Royal

UTAH
Skier
Will try to remember! If I didn't have lots of family activity plans already, I'd be tempted to head out west to get a few days in on these!
ALTA and Snowbird are still open. were supposed to get a snow storm on Friday too. (insert Devil on Shoulder):)

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
please do not forget to follow up next season when you are able to get out on them. we would love to hear your opinion of these skis.

royal

OP, sorry I missed your pm, as I do not frequent this site as much as I should. As far as how the 100 cti ski's??? I love mine. I got about 5 days on them before my season ended. First few days at Kirkwood with firm winter conditions and a few inches of snow each night. First few runs were off of chair 5. Easy groomers. Excellent edge hold, so I went to the top of chair 6 to hit the steeper black runs. I was really impressed with how easy the 100 cti made its turns. The ski gave me lots of confidence. I skied all around chairs 5 & 6 (piste and off piste) before heading into the back off chair 4. Maybe 4-6 inches of heavy pow (cream cheese) and I had a blast.

I mounted my 180's on the line and the float was totally adequate for my 215lbs. Really a fun and fast ski. They do feel very light, but are solid rippers. Love em.

KW1.jpg

KW 2.jpg

All the tracks to the right in the photo were mine. The place was really empty and I had a blast swooshing around on the cream cheese pow.

Next few days I used them at Mammoth and just loved them. Great edge hold for the refrozen piste when the lifts opened and as the snow softened up, things just got better. No hookiness or other weird issues. Just a great ski and likely my new DD, unless it hasn't snowed for a long time and is really firm, in which case I will still use my Amphibio 88 xti's.
If you need a ski in that 100cm range, give these a try.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Really looking forward to getting some time on these next season! Noticed you're on a 180cm at 215lbs. I was a bit concerned about length on these, as 180cm would be a bit long for where I ski. Settled at 172cm, but at 167 lbs., that should work fine if you're happy with your 180cm length. Thanks for the update!

liv2ski

Sierra Cement Inspector
Skier
For anyone looking at this ski, they do ski short on firm snow unless on an edge, as they do have a fair amount of tip rocker. I am sure I would of had no issue with the next size up (188) but I wanted a ski that was 180-183 for my 179 height. Unless your a real light weight, they likely are not going to float you in light Utah pow, but that isn't what I ski or bought them for and if it is deep, I always have the 193 Auto's :D

Sponsor

Staff online