• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomic Memory Fit (and other fit/punch question)?

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
I recently tried on a bunch of ski touring boots (but this also applies to regular Alpine boots). I really liked the feel of the Atomic Hawx XTD 120. The size 29.5 felt good, much tighter than the generally loose and sloppy boots I am used to, but surprisingly comfortable. Except in two places. Over my prominent bunions (metatarsal bump?), and in front of my big toe. Standing up straight, my toe crunches against the front of the liner. Moderately flexing the boot, my big toe does not touch the front of the boot. Other than that…great fit? My questions:

1) How much can I expect the Atomic memory fit to stretch? By baking the shells and liners, can I expect to gain appreciable width? What about length? Can the memory fit process make the boots longer, if only a little bit?

2) If the memory fit process can not make the boots longer, is there any way to do a punch just for my big toe? I expect a punch on the side of the boot for my bunion would be no problem, but what about right at the front of the boot?

Advice appreciated….

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The new plastics are amazing is how much they can be molded.Can you go with a full mold? Absolutely but I would start with the isolated spots you need, First met and big toe. but first, do you have a proper footbed in the boot? A good foundation is key before you do any punching or remolding. I am sure the shop where you bought the boot can take care of all of this.

TS
B

Bruno Schull

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi. Thanks for the reply. In most of my shoes I wear custom footbeds for my bunions and other foot/toe issues. In my ski boots, I generally find that these footbeds take up too much volume, so I use thin, rigid, Superfeet carbon insoles. They seem to work well for me. So, if I understand your advice:

1-Use my footbeds

2-Punch for the bunion and big toe

If that doesn't work...

3-Mold the whole boot

Does that sound right?

Thanks again,

B

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I recently tried on a bunch of ski touring boots (but this also applies to regular Alpine boots). I really liked the feel of the Atomic Hawx XTD 120. The size 29.5 felt good, much tighter than the generally loose and sloppy boots I am used to, but surprisingly comfortable. Except in two places. Over my prominent bunions (metatarsal bump?), and in front of my big toe. Standing up straight, my toe crunches against the front of the liner. Moderately flexing the boot, my big toe does not touch the front of the boot. Other than that…great fit? My questions:

1) How much can I expect the Atomic memory fit to stretch? By baking the shells and liners, can I expect to gain appreciable width? What about length? Can the memory fit process make the boots longer, if only a little bit?

2) If the memory fit process can not make the boots longer, is there any way to do a punch just for my big toe? I expect a punch on the side of the boot for my bunion would be no problem, but what about right at the front of the boot?

Advice appreciated….

What is your street shoe size and your measured size?

Sponsor

Staff online