• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Just returned home (it is a 6 hour drive) from Aspen, and was totally blown away.

Over the last year I have had so many shit customer service experiences: booking nice vaca locations, and shit is falling apart at the seams due to lack of staff / no one caring. One example of great CS in Aspen: I finished lunch at Merry Go Round at Highlands. I was texting someone, and a young lady came for my tray. Before she took it she asked if she could refill my water. Small thing. But small things go such a long way. Every day I had a few experiences where staff went the extra little bit.

I have had the luxury of numerous resort, cat and heli weeks as part of my job, and for recreation. This was, by far, one of my better experiences. The only other that comes close was Targhee, back in the day, before Targhee became a thing.

The entire industry could learn a thing or two from SkiCo.
Aspen 2.jpg

Aspen 3.jpg

Aspen 4.jpg

4 year old - Aspen 1.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The entire industry could learn a thing or two from SkiCo.
Aspen treats their employees like assets, most in the industry [cough] Vail [/cough] treat them like liabilities.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I love Aspen! If anyone wants to visit, a great time would be Feb. 26th - Mar. 5th during the SkiTalk national Gathering!

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I love Aspen! If anyone wants to visit, a great time would be Feb. 26th - Mar. 5th during the SkiTalk national Gathering!

Suggestion: Aspen has the best instructor talent in the US, IMO. They attract the best talent, because they pay the most, and have an outstanding culture. You would be hard pressed to find instruction and coaching at that level at your home mtn.

It would likely be beneficial for all to take lessons at Aspen. If you book a full day private (I think something like $900), several individuals can attend. I could totally see a day at Highlands for advanced skiers, and a day at Snowmass for intermediate skiers. Those instructors will immediately get you on the best terrain / best snow. A day with them will elevate your skiing more than any equipment purchase will.

Among the cream of the crop at Aspen are Jennifer Simpson, and Charlie and Jenny MacArthur. All three are trainers at Aspen, and travel throughout the Rockies to conduct PSIA-RM examines and clinics. I have cliniced with all, and they are superb. Booking now is not too early. Jonathan Balou runs the ski school. However I don't think that he actively teaches.

Also don't overlook Buttermilk. If you want an easy day, it is a compact little mountain that holds pow for days after a dump. Parking is free, and super easy.

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I finally made my first Denver trip about 3 years ago. Skied Aspen(1 day), Highlands(1 day) and SnowMass(2 days)
Definitely liked SnowMass the best but I'm also an upper intermediate

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Suggestion: Aspen has the best instructor talent in the US, IMO. They attract the best talent, because they pay the most, and have an outstanding culture. You would be hard pressed to find instruction and coaching at that level at your home mtn.

It would likely be beneficial for all to take lessons at Aspen. If you book a full day private (I think something like $900), several individuals can attend. I could totally see a day at Highlands for advanced skiers, and a day at Snowmass for intermediate skiers. Those instructors will immediately get you on the best terrain / best snow. A day with them will elevate your skiing more than any equipment purchase will.

Among the cream of the crop at Aspen are Jennifer Simpson, and Charlie and Jenny MacArthur. All three are trainers at Aspen, and travel throughout the Rockies to conduct PSIA-RM examines and clinics. I have cliniced with all, and they are superb. Booking now is not too early. Jonathan Balou runs the ski school. However I don't think that he actively teaches.

Also don't overlook Buttermilk. If you want an easy day, it is a compact little mountain that holds pow for days after a dump. Parking is free, and super easy.
And don't forget @Bob Barnes ... I took a lesson with him at the 2016 Gathering, and had an awesome lesson. (And was joined by @Pumba and @James for the afternoon portion - at Buttermilk no less - which was a ton of fun.)

Sponsor

Staff online