• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen Snowmass

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It probably took us flatlanders 10-15 minutes. The elevation is tough but the actual hike was relatively short and not too steep from what I remember. Go slow, take breaks, and enjoy the view. Absolutely worth it either way, and if all else fails, worth meeting the father in law at the bottom.

Second this. Highlands is an awesome and very unique mountain. It looks small from the trail map but really packs a punch - I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Aspen was more crowded and a little underwhelming to me.
I agree with all of this. I’m a non-hiking sea-level flatlander. Longshot hike took 10-15 mins with a couple of breaks a few days into the trip. Longshot run is fun. I wouldn’t do it first day unacclimated, given my baseline.
Cirque Headwall and the valley it leads into is a fun intro to “off piste.” Nothing treacherous, but still nice to be led down by someone who is familiar with it first time esp when it goes through the bottom of Rock Garden. It feels like an adventure. Blue trail skiers who can manage a Poma can opt out of the Cirque but still get the alpine experience on the cat track option “Rocky Mountain High” and the views are amazing.
The Edge on High Alpine is an easier black that is often groomed. Sneaky’s Glade and Powerline Glade are easier glades. Many, many fabulous blue cruisers. Family favorite is whispering Jesse. Snowmass is a great mountain for challenging blue and easier black cruisers. There is plenty of ungroomed if you want that. It is easy for groups to split up and reunite based on opting in out of some blacker options. As an unaggressive advanced skier, I like Highlands a lot too. Don’t have much experience with Ajax so no comment.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
We Skied Snowmass today and Sat. (Jan. 20/21) conditions were very good, but not great.
Snowmass has not gotten the upside surprisies that dumped on Steamboat, Summit county, and Crested Butte last week. That said, the groomers skied great, High Alpine, Big Burn and Elk Camp. Don't be surprised to encounter rocks, but the snow is great, they seem to be not holding back on the grooming.
We’re headed to Snowmass on Tuesday. Given the recent snow, I was surprised to see over 50% of expert terrain not open. Maybe closed for avy danger? Anyone have any insights into potential terrain openings?
Open Snow forecast is for ONE inch new snow, next ten days, so the Cirque will not be on your agenda,

Hanging Valley Wall was open, though, but will require some navigation to avoid obstacles. I would not venture beyond Roberto's as the north-facing steeps beyond need a lot more snow. Lots of other steeps are open, KT Gully, Garret Gulch, other areas, snow is good, but you'll need to use your rock-dodging skills. Anything with a west-facing aspect is well-scoured. Best bumps are along the edges of Sheer Bliss, maybe Reider's on High Alpine. (did not venture over to Wildcat off Sam's)

1705887391026.jpeg
Looking up to the cirque from top of Upper Green Cabin, a groomer in great shape, (with a few rocks)

1705887526103.jpeg
Lower portion of the Cirque, Upper Green Cabin in foreground (KT Gully is the chute in the center)

1705887309877.jpeg
Top of High Alpine from top of KT Gully (Upper Green Cabin is hiding in there somewhere....)

Long Shot is still closed, too, until more snow arrives without the dreaded 4-letter meteorogical condition starting with "W". It's a great run, typically lots of moguls in the lower 3/4. Powderhorn on the Campground side is comparable, it feels like you've gotten away from the resort for 2500 vertical feet, then you find a chairlift terminal in the middle of nowhere that somehow returns back to civilization.

Visiting March 14-16. Skiing 3 days. Snowmass for sure and probably Ajax just to say we did. Debating a second day at Snowmass or going to Highlands. This will be the last days of our 3.5 week epic ski trip so we may be pooped out or otherwise at our peak and getting stronger every day!
:huh::beercheer:

Staying in Glenwood Springs cause we are cheapazz. But watching if any deals pop-up. Maybe Carbondale or Basalt to be a little closer. I was all excited - thought I found something in Snowmass Village one block from slopes for<$400/night but quickly figured out it had one of the lowest Google rating I've seen in my memory (like 2.8 or something... most recent reviews were 1* lol.)
Should be much better conditions especially for the Cirque and HVW by then. (we are coming back later in March)
Glenwood is fine, doesn't help that much to be in C'Dale or Basalt. You can park in the huge lot near the hot Springs pool, then take the pedestrian bridge across the river to downtown GWS and a good variety of restaraunts, GW Canyon brewery, Smoke BBQ, numerous others.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Hi all, I'm heading to snowmass with the family in March but we've never been there and I'm looking for advice on what runs I should look for or steer clear of.

I'm very comfortable in any groomed black run, regardless of pitch (pretty much). I can handle most steep big black bumps, but I don't handle them well. I start to struggle when the bumps progress beyond moderate in size. That said, it is what I'm trying to improve on. I'm looking to avoid any tight tree runs or cliffs/cornices.

Areas at snowmass I'm wondering about are the cirque and hanging valley (presumably too hard for me). What about high alpine and Sam's knob.
It's could be really easy to find yourself far above your comfort level in the Cirque or Hanging Valley, based on your skill level description. It's necessary to know how to read and navigate challenging terrain and snow conditions. The Cirque is 2500 vertical feet, once you start over the headwall, you're in for the full vert. While it's "possible" to traverse to the right after the upper pitch, toward U. Green Cabin, it's likely to backfire if the reason is to attempt an escape from too-challenging terrain, there are nasty rock glaciers and super-steep glades lurking there, better to stay along the left -hand gully in the well-traveled open mogul slot.

One option: Ride the cirque Poma and ski across the High Pass traverse to the top of High Alpine lift. This gives a good intro to navigating the rock ridges and sastrugi that you'd encounter in the cirque, without actually dropping in. ( don't traverse too far, above the gnarliest part of the Wall -- that run is Upper Ladder, and you may wish there was one).

Upper Green Cabin, off High Alpine is a nice, moderately steep groomer along the east face of the cirque with great views. Elk Camp runs are much less steep, with great views of Hanging Valley Wall from the lift and runs.

The other gotcha you may want to avoid is sliding too far into the tempting mellow glades of Coyote Hollow at the top of Sheer Bliss, which funnels into 1000 vertical feet of gnarly moguls in Garrett Gulch. There might be a rope line guiding you above the point of commitment.... It's a great run if you love a mogully gully, but hides sneakily between the Whispering Jesse and Sheer Bliss groomers. You can sort-of see a hint of where it is from the Sheer Bliss lift.

You might be fine on Longshot, it's not all that steep, but the moguls go on for a long while -it's rarely, if ever, groomed above the runout. A good test of whether you'd enjoy Longshot would be the moguls on Gray Wolf, under the Elk Camp chair, similar pitch. Powerline Glade is a good starter challenge that gives you the option of bailing out onto groomed as needed, skiers right. Also: The moguls to the far, far right side of Sheer Bliss, challenge increases as you descend, but you can steer left out of the bumps onto corduroy relief any time (Extra credit for Camp 3).

Staying in Glenwood Springs cause we are cheapazz. But watching if any deals pop-up. Maybe Carbondale or Basalt to be a little closer. I was all excited - thought I found something in Snowmass Village one block from slopes for<$400/night but quickly figured out it had one of the lowest Google rating I've seen in my memory (like 2.8 or something... most recent reviews were 1* lol.)
Yeah that's why I didn't mention Juicy Lucy's, it's a great steak place but only if your Cheapazz goal gets deferred to some other meals. More Glenwood: Slope & Hatch probably the best fit for both cheap and good while avoiding generic fast food. You could go to the Pullman, it's super-duper trendy small plates, but you might need to stop by the Village Inn for something to eat afterwards. We had lunch at Zheng Asian Bistro on Friday, excellent and reasonable, along the pseudo-main-street in front of Target, a mile west of the real downtown. Italian Underground has new owners since our last visit, so can't say how much of the former greatness remains.

Those sucky hotel reviews are likely from the old Wildwood Lodge, great location just above the Snowmass mall. Maybe a sharp reminder that "seems cheap" not always equals "worth it". We walked past it a couple of times, does not appear to be maintained anymore, appears partly converted to employee housing.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for suggestions everyone! Also the intel on runs off the Cirque at Snowmass is helpful. We are intermediate type skiers, but in proper conditions, steep stuff can be fine, but lack of confidence usually keeps me away from the unknown.

As we have it set-up, our cheepazz goals have been realized with the MCP pass, a decent lineup of modest motels with breakfast included and brown bag lunches. This should leave us able to indulge in some nice suppers out. Not into fancy, but just good solid food and local brews from not-chain places.

And bingo, Wildwood lodge was the place! :D

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve stayed at Wildwood w family (2 adults 2 kids, too cramped!) 10 yrs ago and solo (comfortable) 2018. It was ok if expectations are low and location is a priority; it may have declined as it was already a bit sketchy. The Willows are older ski in/ski out condos at Snowmass on Airbnb/vrbo etc, some rehabbed, in great location. These are much better for a family. Not very many are listed. Pokolodi lodge is on my list as a possible for motel type accommodations if/when I return. Location is great. Lots of regulars/return customers, but one must have appropriate expectations.
I found Garrett’s Gulch with kids/high intermediates was much more challenging than Longshot.
I agree that the Cirque following the lollipop trail markers into the left hand gully is the tamest way down but it is nevertheless a commitment. I say, do the poma and rocky mountain high then stay high and cut over to sheer bliss runs for a Blue adventure. Sam’s knob is good for black adventures as they are less of a commitment.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good call on Zheng; and their happy hour is back! I am addicted to their saketini. The Himalayan restaurant in the same area is also good and has robot servers.

Frida for Mexican food. They were originally here in Carbondale but moved and went a little more upscale, but the food is the same (just more $$, but everything is). Ask for the barbacoa burrito, I don't think it's on the menu anymore? I think they will still make it though.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for the intel, Pajarito-bred.

We’re here now, and as you write, conditions are good but not great. It turns out that’s probably a good thing. I broke my ankle 5 weeks ago, and was hoping I would be back to 100%, but definitely am not. Groomers are fine (although my form is off for numerous reasons), small to medium bumps are doable with careful technique and moderate discomfort, but the small stashes of deep snow I’ve found in the trees are a non-starter.

I think at this point, it’s less the break and more the high ankle sprain that accompanied it giving me trouble. The fact that I’m able to ski at all this trip is probably lucky.

We had to cancel Alta last month due to the injury, but have rebooked for March, so hopefully I’ll be all the way back by then and can get my fill of the steep and deep.

JBN

Booting up
Skier
It's could be really easy to find yourself far above your comfort level in the Cirque or Hanging Valley, based on your skill level description. It's necessary to know how to read and navigate challenging terrain and snow conditions. The Cirque is 2500 vertical feet, once you start over the headwall, you're in for the full vert. While it's "possible" to traverse to the right after the upper pitch, toward U. Green Cabin, it's likely to backfire if the reason is to attempt an escape from too-challenging terrain, there are nasty rock glaciers and super-steep glades lurking there, better to stay along the left -hand gully in the well-traveled open mogul slot.

One option: Ride the cirque Poma and ski across the High Pass traverse to the top of High Alpine lift. This gives a good intro to navigating the rock ridges and sastrugi that you'd encounter in the cirque, without actually dropping in. ( don't traverse too far, above the gnarliest part of the Wall -- that run is Upper Ladder, and you may wish there was one).

Upper Green Cabin, off High Alpine is a nice, moderately steep groomer along the east face of the cirque with great views. Elk Camp runs are much less steep, with great views of Hanging Valley Wall from the lift and runs.

The other gotcha you may want to avoid is sliding too far into the tempting mellow glades of Coyote Hollow at the top of Sheer Bliss, which funnels into 1000 vertical feet of gnarly moguls in Garrett Gulch. There might be a rope line guiding you above the point of commitment.... It's a great run if you love a mogully gully, but hides sneakily between the Whispering Jesse and Sheer Bliss groomers. You can sort-of see a hint of where it is from the Sheer Bliss lift.

You might be fine on Longshot, it's not all that steep, but the moguls go on for a long while -it's rarely, if ever, groomed above the runout. A good test of whether you'd enjoy Longshot would be the moguls on Gray Wolf, under the Elk Camp chair, similar pitch. Powerline Glade is a good starter challenge that gives you the option of bailing out onto groomed as needed, skiers right. Also: The moguls to the far, far right side of Sheer Bliss, challenge increases as you descend, but you can steer left out of the bumps onto corduroy relief any time (Extra credit for Camp 3).

Yeah that's why I didn't mention Juicy Lucy's, it's a great steak place but only if your Cheapazz goal gets deferred to some other meals. More Glenwood: Slope & Hatch probably the best fit for both cheap and good while avoiding generic fast food. You could go to the Pullman, it's super-duper trendy small plates, but you might need to stop by the Village Inn for something to eat afterwards. We had lunch at Zheng Asian Bistro on Friday, excellent and reasonable, along the pseudo-main-street in front of Target, a mile west of the real downtown. Italian Underground has new owners since our last visit, so can't say how much of the former greatness remains.

Those sucky hotel reviews are likely from the old Wildwood Lodge, great location just above the Snowmass mall. Maybe a sharp reminder that "seems cheap" not always equals "worth it". We walked past it a couple of times, does not appear to be maintained anymore, appears partly converted to employee housing.

Completed our first trip to Snowmass and had a total blast. It snowed the whole time we were there. Not sure what the resort was claiming, but upper mountain areas probably got close to 3 feet over 6 days while we were there.

Didn't actually get to ski cirque, but think i would've been fine there. no problems for me on any single blacks except what i think was called West Face off Sheer Bliss. Got down it with care, but a little over my comfort level. Very large bumps on it when we were there. bigger than things like 3 camp or the tougher runs on sam's knob on skiers left.

Did go up the poma to the cirque on the final day that my kids were in ski school, but we hit a total whiteout and had to come down the blue trail with a ski instructor. visibility was so bad the instructor fell at least twice just purely due to vertigo from the lack of visibility. Think it was closed two of the next three days we were there, but had the little kids anyway.

So, loved snowmass. ive mostly skied vail and beaver creek, but would love to go back to snowmass again in the future. beautiful mountain. its blue runs did live up to the hype, mostly because a lot of these wide-spaced gladed runs are so fun and unique. great views on the one or two days it wasnt snowing heavy. hopefully next time i can hit the cirque.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I always liked The Springs next to Doc Holliday's. Good steaks and great onion rings.

Sponsor

Staff online