• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Aspen Snowmass

King Of Cooper

Getting on the lift
Skier
Good Lunch by the Two Creeks Lift, need a bit more Snow but the BBQ made the Day….https://www.aspensnowmass.com/-/media/aspen-snowmass/documents/pdfs/23-24-menus/2324fbtwo-creeks-menu72x38.pdf

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
On a powder day all the Powder Hounds go to Highlands or Aspen Mountain, so you can get fresh tracks until noon at Snowmass. However if you go to Buttermilk you will find that all the beginners and timid intermediates that frequent the place don't go anywhere near Buttermilk's 4 black diamond runs, so you will have those runs to yourself and be able to ski fresh tracks all day.

Pajarito-bred

Getting off the lift
Skier
Heading to Aspen Snowmass if anyone is interested in:
-giving me a tour
-local advice
-meeting for après

Jan 30 to February 1
More details needed!

Are you looking for mellow groomers, or super-gnarly bumps and steeps?
Are you up for a hike to Highlands Bowl, or exploring the Cirque or Hanging Valley wall? (watch for rocks in the cirque and HVW, route-finding skill among the ridges and gullies is important).

Where are you staying? In town, Snowmass, or down valley?
Are you going to spend $$$$ and 2 hours eating lunch? or subsisting on a chairlift Clif Bar?
Where will you be if it's dumping 2" per hour?
a) in the hot tub or bar
b) in the glades

We will be in Snowmass for a couple of days the week before your trip, so will be able to report semi-recent conditions-- current forecast is looking good!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Steve - I'm no local, but there might be something worthwhile in the trip reports (2016, 2021, 2022 Gatherings) I've posted.

JBN

Booting up
Skier
Hi all, I'm heading to snowmass with the family in March but we've never been there and I'm looking for advice on what runs I should look for or steer clear of.

I'm very comfortable in any groomed black run, regardless of pitch (pretty much). I can handle most steep big black bumps, but I don't handle them well. I start to struggle when the bumps progress beyond moderate in size. That said, it is what I'm trying to improve on. I'm looking to avoid any tight tree runs or cliffs/cornices.

We ski Vail in the spring usually, where I enjoy runs like Shangri La and Riva Ridge and Sun Down bowl. I ski dragons teeth too, but it's a difficult run for me.

Last spring with all the snow, lovers leap was a big drop in and that is a no no for me.

My wife skis all that. I'm 44 and learned I'm my 30s because of her. Now I love it too.

Areas at snowmass I'm wondering about are the cirque and hanging valley (presumably too hard for me). What about high alpine and Sam's knob.

Thanks to all for any input.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but I recall Sam’s Knob area being the easiest of the advanced terrain. I believe Campground / The Slot was basically blue steepness, just somewhat ungroomed.

I was an advanced / intermediate skier at the time, and Hanging Valley looked absolutely terrifying from the chairlift.

At your level, the endless blue terrain at Snowmass is true paradise. Make sure to do the hike to Longshot - one of my favorite runs ever. Enjoy!

Reactions: JBN

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
We’re headed to Snowmass on Tuesday. Given the recent snow, I was surprised to see over 50% of expert terrain not open. Maybe closed for avy danger? Anyone have any insights into potential terrain openings?

JBN

Booting up
Skier
It’s been a while since I’ve been there, but I recall Sam’s Knob area being the easiest of the advanced terrain. I believe Campground / The Slot was basically blue steepness, just somewhat ungroomed.

I was an advanced / intermediate skier at the time, and Hanging Valley looked absolutely terrifying from the chairlift.

At your level, the endless blue terrain at Snowmass is true paradise. Make sure to do the hike to Longshot - one of my favorite runs ever. Enjoy!
The hike to longshot is about five minutes? Going with my 77 year old father in law too.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The hike to longshot is about five minutes? Going with my 77 year old father in law too.
it might be 5 minutes for some. It is probably the shortest named hike I've done, but it took me more than that. Then again, I'm the world's slowest ski hiker.

It is short enough that you can get to the top without hating life.

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Subscribed.

Visiting March 14-16. Skiing 3 days. Snowmass for sure and probably Ajax just to say we did. Debating a second day at Snowmass or going to Highlands. This will be the last days of our 3.5 week epic ski trip so we may be pooped out or otherwise at our peak and getting stronger every day!
:huh::beercheer:

Staying in Glenwood Springs cause we are cheapazz. But watching if any deals pop-up. Maybe Carbondale or Basalt to be a little closer. I was all excited - thought I found something in Snowmass Village one block from slopes for<$400/night but quickly figured out it had one of the lowest Google rating I've seen in my memory (like 2.8 or something... most recent reviews were 1* lol.)

Hat tip to @dbostedo for the links.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Areas at snowmass I'm wondering about are the cirque and hanging valley (presumably too hard for me). What about high alpine and Sam's knob.
Cirque is the easiest of the double blacks. Hanging Valley can be moderate to intense, depending on line choice, and very long. Some people hate the fact that you can't lap HV, but I like the variety on the long loop.
Skiing 3 days. Snowmass for sure and probably Ajax just to say we did. Debating a second day at Snowmass or going to Highlands.
I like Highlands better than Aspen. It has the challenging stuff on the Deep Temerity lift and some great steepish long blue groomers all the way to the bottom.

Between Snowmass and Highlands is a toss-up for me.

edit - cirque is closed for vegetation protection if the snowpack isn't deep enough. It's considered a delicate environment.

TonyPlush

Out on the slopes
Skier
It probably took us flatlanders 10-15 minutes. The elevation is tough but the actual hike was relatively short and not too steep from what I remember. Go slow, take breaks, and enjoy the view. Absolutely worth it either way, and if all else fails, worth meeting the father in law at the bottom.

I like Highlands better than Aspen. It has the challenging stuff on the Deep Temerity lift and some great steepish long blue groomers all the way to the bottom.
Second this. Highlands is an awesome and very unique mountain. It looks small from the trail map but really packs a punch - I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Aspen was more crowded and a little underwhelming to me.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good info ... I would probably just avoid Hanging Valley and the west side of the Cirque; the headwall can be nice though and not too much. Most of High Alpine is fine; stick to Green Cabin at first and look around and see what seems good. Sam's and Campground are fine, nothing scary, just looooooooooooong.

Reactions: JBN

Sponsor

Staff online