• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Aspen Highlands Incident

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is the process, not the journalist. Newspapers (and other businesses that generated public statements) used to have proofreaders. They were eliminated to save money, relying on spell check (and wishful thinking) instead.

I see egregious proofing errors in the Boston Globe all the time, so it isn't just small town papers.
I see proofing errors all the time, too and it drives me bonkers. And we wonder why people these days put an apostrophe after every word that ends in an 'S' and say "sale" when they should say "sell", etc. Went, gone, all that stuff.

Anyway, I keep waiting for more solid details/facts about this story, and they aren't coming along very quickly. I'm still just quite skeptical.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The problem is the process, not the journalist. Newspapers (and other businesses that generated public statements) used to have proofreaders. They were eliminated to save money, relying on spell check (and wishful thinking) instead.

I see egregious proofing errors in the Boston Globe all the time, so it isn't just small town papers.

It's not all bad: this is why I'm retired and able to ski all the time now :D... my job went away.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

James

Out There
Instructor
Just read an update on this incident. Having just been to Aspen Highlands and seen the drop at the top of the Lodges Peak char, it is amazing the victim was not seriously injured. The person who did the pushing has a history of mental illness and is in for a long period of treatment.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/20603838-113/aspen-chairlift-pusher-identified-arrested
We came to the opposite conclusion on that lift. Where he was pushed was at the very end where the ground/snow comes up to the landing. Not too big a deal and why the boarder just went off to ski pow.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
We came to the opposite conclusion on that lift. Where he was pushed was at the very end where the ground/snow comes up to the landing. Not too big a deal and why the boarder just went off to ski pow.
This lift has been moved to a more sheltered and lower area. The previous lift went over a knife edge cliff. One of the more scary lifts anywhere.

Aspen PD seems to know who this guy, a local, is but they are still looking for him. They are thinking he has mental issues.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
I had heard a week ago from the Aspen PR person nonetheless that they had caught the guy, and she had said he was well known to Aspen PD and might have had a couple screws loose. I was wondering why we hadn't hear anything; its cuz he was in a psych hospital in grand junction. Not sure if he really is bat shit crazy, or faking the funk to avoid charges, I guess a jury will decide, that is if the AG even decides to prosecute....

What I find most interesting is that the 3rd person who was riding with both of them did not say anything after the fact. You're so in shock you don't say or do anything right after? No

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier

James,
Yup, you are correct that if the push-off was made during the final few seconds of the ride up to Lodges Peak, then the fall would be both short and onto a very pitched section of terrain. However, on my first trip up that lift, the people on the chair raised the bar well before the end, and, it would have been one helluva-fall. I am not the greatest with height, sure made me a little uncomfortable because I was thinking of this incident.

Mental illness is a very sad issue, I hope he is able to sustain some level of recovery, but, it is a long tough road.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Thought this was about the Cloud 9 singalong with Seal on Sunday. Don't know how to link Instagram - but check out The Little Nell's feed = full of win.

Carry on.

Sponsor

Staff online