• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Article: Best Cameras for Content Creators

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
While I have a Canon EOS 6D, I rarely lug its full frame bulk with me skiing. Plus, that generation of Canon full frame cameras is horrifically outclassed by newer models. I’d like an EOS R6, but I have many other things to spend money on before a new full frame body.

I have a GoPro 10 Black, which has been fun for snorkeling and I could easily put a helmet mount on and start filming BUT with that in mind, I’ve seen a lot of pretty amazing Insta360 videos from the likes of Lucas Catania and Ian Deans (Elan athlete). Any experience with using an Insta360 in this group?
When we were interviewed by Ryan for his youtube channel, he used an Insta360.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
While I have a Canon EOS 6D, I rarely lug its full frame bulk with me skiing. Plus, that generation of Canon full frame cameras is horrifically outclassed by newer models. I’d like an EOS R6, but I have many other things to spend money on before a new full frame body.

I have a GoPro 10 Black, which has been fun for snorkeling and I could easily put a helmet mount on and start filming BUT with that in mind, I’ve seen a lot of pretty amazing Insta360 videos from the likes of Lucas Catania and Ian Deans (Elan athlete). Any experience with using an Insta360 in this group?

I have the GO 2 (now replaced by the GO 3). It's incredibly tiny, takes really nice high quality video, and has good multiple mounting options. Probably the most impressive thing about it is how well it maintains the horizon (stays level) no matter how crazy the camera is moving around. You can actively flip it around and flip it over and the resulting video never shows it. A quick example showing a fairly steady horizon while skiing moguls (the pro video mode, using the wide angle, tends to flatten out the slope/moguls. They were some fairly decent blue-level moguls).

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 waiting for me under the Christmas tree. I have always been interested in having a mechanical gimbal-managed camera and I also wanted a camera that easily fits in my ski jacket pocket. I knew I wouldn't use it if it was too big for me to want to carry every time I ski. I'm hoping the auto-tracking and dynamic framing functions will make it a no-brainer to use (especially when I hand it to friends to help me get video of my skiing). It doesn't have any optical zoom, but a buddy has the Pocket 2 and he gets decent looking zoomed in video by doing it in post-processing. I'm also hoping it can get some nice looking follow-me video. Keeping my fingers crossed...

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Today am in process of buying a used GoPro Hero 7 on eBay for about $80. Per my above posts, I already own the Hero 8 with several batteries and will use a second camera in order to simultaneous record both a front view and rear view that will be particularly useful fresh powder skiing in order to show $$$ tracks. Functionally, the Hero 7 and 8 models are nearly identical. Note I have front brim and and center top helmet mounts.

The Hero 7 uses the same battery model as the Hero 5 6 7 that was changed after the 8. For any others interested in using GoPro's, I noticed there are quite a lot of low cost used Hero 7 and 8 models available on eBay though Amazon shows only much pricier new units. As long as such used 10 foot deep waterproof robust cameras have not actually been used underwater, they tend to be rather reliable.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Popping up this older thread. Tried out a new (for me) mounting option with Insta360 X3 over the weekend.

I am using the Insta360 backpack mount. The mount itself comes with a small 35cm rod to attach the X3 to. However, I am using the 70cm invisible selfie stick instead. It's fully extended to get more distance between the camera and me. Also as a result of it's length, it swung to my right a bit and was moving. The stabilization handled it very well and I think the to-the-side view looks good to.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the GO 2 (now replaced by the GO 3). It's incredibly tiny, takes really nice high quality video, and has good multiple mounting options. Probably the most impressive thing about it is how well it maintains the horizon (stays level) no matter how crazy the camera is moving around. You can actively flip it around and flip it over and the resulting video never shows it. A quick example showing a fairly steady horizon while skiing moguls (the pro video mode, using the wide angle, tends to flatten out the slope/moguls. They were some fairly decent blue-level moguls).

I am thinking about getting a the GO 3, but how are you mounting it when skiing?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I am thinking about getting a the GO 3, but how are you mounting it when skiing?

I use the magnetic pendant to mount my GO 2. I stick the pendant in my chest pocket and the GO 2 sticks to it through the jacket fabric. I added a tiny leash made from coat thread and small clasp. I hook the thread around the lens of the GO 2 (it has a lens cap to secure it) and then the clasp hooks to my zipper pull. That way if for some reason the GO 2 falls off the pendant, the leash keeps it from being lost. The GO 2 very rarely comes loose from the pendant (only in a hard fall).

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Popping up this older thread. Tried out a new (for me) mounting option with Insta360 X3 over the weekend.

I am using the Insta360 backpack mount. The mount itself comes with a small 35cm rod to attach the X3 to. However, I am using the 70cm invisible selfie stick instead. It's fully extended to get more distance between the camera and me. Also as a result of it's length, it swung to my right a bit and was moving. The stabilization handled it very well and I think the to-the-side view looks good to.

How do you like the Insta 360x3 vs your gopro max? I am bout to pull the trigger and but one today and still havent made up my mind.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
@Noodler looking forward to seeing how some of your bump skiing videos turn out.

@textrovert new stick setup does an excellent job capturing his body and skiing however as I've noted in the past, I don't like the extreme WA effects on the approaching terrain. That is why I've been using the W (Wide) mode instead of the wider SuperView on my GoPro Hero 8. In any any case, any of these setups is less than ideal where another person holding a camera with a more normal angle lens will always look more natural.

After changing my helmet and adding a mount to the front edge near my eyes, found the GoPro lens angle per below link recorded a bit too low so will adjust it for slightly less shovel and a bit more approaching terrain. What I do like is the more realistic less distorted terrain form in bumps and powder that if one can do so in sunny conditions with a complementing shadow to the side a bit, results in an improved recording with the otherwise missing body form as a shadow that the 360d cameras with stick otherwise allow.

Mr dave's new sky blue Outdoor Master helmet with mount. It does help me stand out in crowded lift mazes now as that color seems to be unique.

David-blueHelment1.jpg

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
How do you like the Insta 360x3 vs your gopro max? I am bout to pull the trigger and but one today and still havent made up my mind.
Insta360 software (both phone app and desktop) is much better than GoPro. Easy win there. Especially "deep tracking" to automatically follow someone without the need for adding tons of key frames.

Insta360 makes a lot of useful accessories too. Although these do work with GoPro, they are much more natural when using X3.

Another clip of the backpack mount + the 70mm invisible selfie stick fully exended:

Here's using a clip the new Pole mount. This allows holding both ski poles naturally-

Last edited:

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
@textrovert new stick setup does an excellent job capturing his body and skiing however as I've noted in the past, I don't like the extreme WA effects on the approaching terrain. That is why I've been using the W (Wide) mode instead of the wider SuperView on my GoPro Hero 8. In any any case, any of these setups is less than ideal where another person holding a camera with a more normal angle lens will always look more natural.
The wide angle is completely up to you. With any 360 degree camera, you have full flexibility on how wide and even how distorted you want it to be. It is not a quantized set of options. you just pinch and set where you like it to be. So this should not be holding you back from 360 cameras.

The flexibility makes them blow away regular action cameras. For example- one mounted on your helmet can replace multiple standard action cameras- no need to have one forward, backward, left, right etc.

Also, you miss nothing. With a standard action camera, If something interesting happens where your standard camera was not pointed or if your framing was accidentally bumped, you can't recover it in editing. With 360 camera, it is all recorded and no need to worry about if you got it or if it was "pointed" in the right direction. Follow cam is effortless. No need to look at the other skier. Just ski naturally.

textrovert

Reelin' in the years
Skier
Mr dave's new sky blue Outdoor Master helmet with mount. It does help me stand out in crowded lift mazes now as that color seems to be unique.
Looks good! One of the Sierra coaches from UK always had a blue helmet like this.
It really made it very easy to spot him and the kids with him from far away. :thumb:

msutherland

Putting on skis
Skier
Insta360 software (both phone app and desktop) is much better than GoPro. Easy win there. Especially "deep tracking" to automatically follow someone without the need for adding tons of key frames.

Insta360 makes a lot of useful accessories too. Although these do work with GoPro, they are much more natural when using X3.

Another clip of the backpack mount + the 70mm invisible selfie stick fully exended:

Here's using a clip the new Pole mount. This allows holding both ski poles naturally-

SOLD!!!!! Thank you

Sponsor

Staff online