• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Armada Arv 96 vs. Nordica Soulrider 97?

Paso

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am looking for an ”allmountain oriented” twintip (don’t ski park at all) that works well both for carving and playing around in softer snow/ varied conditions. My short list is currently:
- Armada Arv 96
- Nordica Soulrider 97

Do you have experimence from any of these skis? What was you opinion?
Any Otter suggestions?

Many thanks!

Patrik

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Both are fun, playful skis that are a blast on softer snow and all over the mountain. The Nordica Soul Rider is very easy to ski and has a great rep on this website but it does have a speed limit and is not that great on harder snow. Great at slower speeds and softer snow but they don't like higher speeds. The Armada ARV 96 is still very easy to ski but is stiffer(but still playful in the tip and tails) offering much better hard snow carving performance and more stability. My ARV86 park/bump skis see 60mph daily without drama and the AVR96 is even better at speed. The ARV96 is the "reference standard" right now for a fun, easy to ski all mountain twin that does everything pretty well. Great one ski quiver that is good in all conditions.

Another ski I'd recommend in this group is the Volkl Revolt 95. Similar to the ARV96 with stiffer mid section and softer tip and tail that still does a great job carving on harder snow. A great deal at the price too as it retails for only $400 but like the AVR96 is hard to get as it's very popular. Still prefer the AVR96 over it due to the AVR96 using cap construction tip and tail giving it more shock absorption, lighter swing weight and is less prone to chipping in that area.

ON3P Kartel 98 would be "premium" twin in this class with incredible, beefy construction that is the Kastle/Stockli of the park/free ride community. A more damp, beefier version of the ARV96 at a higher price tag.

All of these you would mount in the "all mountain" binding position which is usually around the -5cm back from center mark or so rather than the center to -3cm mark if you were to use the ski in the park.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I bought the ARV 96 after a demo. I haven't skied the other ski you mentioned. I find the ARV 96 fun in soft stuff - including chop - while also surprisingly (to me) good on hardpack.

This is my first twin tip in several years, so I don't know how much of my happiness stems from that alone.

TS
P

Paso

Skier
Both are fun, playful skis that are a blast on softer snow and all over the mountain. The Nordica Soul Rider is very easy to ski and has a great rep on this website but it does have a speed limit and is not that great on harder snow. Great at slower speeds and softer snow but they don't like higher speeds. The Armada ARV 96 is still very easy to ski but is stiffer(but still playful in the tip and tails) offering much better hard snow carving performance and more stability. My ARV86 park/bump skis see 60mph daily without drama and the AVR96 is even better at speed. The ARV96 is the "reference standard" right now for a fun, easy to ski all mountain twin that does everything pretty well. Great one ski quiver that is good in all conditions.

Another ski I'd recommend in this group is the Volkl Revolt 95. Similar to the ARV96 with stiffer mid section and softer tip and tail that still does a great job carving on harder snow. A great deal at the price too as it retails for only $400 but like the AVR96 is hard to get as it's very popular. Still prefer the AVR96 over it due to the AVR96 using cap construction tip and tail giving it more shock absorption, lighter swing weight and is less prone to chipping in that area.

ON3P Kartel 98 would be "premium" twin in this class with incredible, beefy construction that is the Kastle/Stockli of the park/free ride community. A more damp, beefier version of the ARV96 at a higher price tag.

All of these you would mount in the "all mountain" binding position which is usually around the -5cm back from center mark or so rather than the center to -3cm mark if you were to use the ski in the park.

Many thanks :)

TS
P

Paso

Skier
Thanks a lot!

TeleArrow

TeleVangelist
Skier
Can anyone compare the ARV 86 to the Soul Rider 87? Would they be similar to Greg K comments on their wider siblings? Specifically the ARV having better hard snow performance?

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Can anyone compare the ARV 86 to the Soul Rider 87? Would they be similar to Greg K comments on their wider siblings? Specifically the ARV having better hard snow performance?

The Armada ARV series gets stiffer and damper as they get wider so the ARV86 is not quite as solid feeling as it ARV96. They did change the core construction and length of full height sidewall on the ARV series this year so they might be a bit more solid than last year though.

The Soul Rider 87 is similar in feel to the 97, just narrower. Will probably be more damp and solid than the current ARV 86 if I had to guess but with a similar fun, forgiving flex.

Found my ARV86 very fun on softer snow but not that great on harder snow for it’s width. Swapped them out last season for the much stiffer and more damp Head Framewall and they RIP! Amazing on harder snow and very solid feeling. Not as playful but still forgiving on the tip/tails. The Head Caddy is a similar 84mm underfoot twin tip like the Framewall but lacks the 360 degree sidewall so it’s a touch lighter and a little more playful. Would be a great compromise in a fun ski that would be much better on harder snow and at speed compared to the Armada ARV86 or Soul Rider 87.
The Head Caddy and Framewall are popular skis for half pipe pros who need great harder snow/ice grip. Just mount them further back than the “freestyle” binding mount area and you’ve got a great all mountain freestyle twin.

Sponsor