• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike Anyone Ebike?

TS
scottyb

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
Took the Bam out this weekend. Did several miles on gravel with a detour onto dirt and single track.

Very impressed with the pedal assist mode. Maintained a good clip of 18+ MPH the way out and back on level 3 of 5. Even used the throttle a bit to try it. Still got a nice pedal workout in but being able to cruise at speed was wonderful. Needed to stop by the LBS to have the bottom bracket adjusted, it was a tad loose and squeaking. Adjustment done and its fine. My bike seems to have the 20MPH limit but I may be able to over ride it when I get the manual for the controller.

Lots of fun but mine is not a full trail bike, it will do easy trail and grass well. Tooling around town was quite fun.

TS
scottyb

scottyb

Getting off the lift
Skier
got mah rack on and sum bags

WruBJJz.jpg

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Just broke 200 total miles on my bike yesterday. 20 miles in 2 hours. Broke for ice cream at about 1 hour in. Needed the carbs. This will definitely get me in shape for next ski season. Love the speed and the ability to grind up long hills. It does dirt roads and rail trails well. Put my Thud Buster on it. That has smoothed out the bumps. I really do enjoy getting out on it.

About a week ago I did 32 miles on it in one go. Again, a smooth fun ride. I’m definitely getting addicted to moving out on this bike. Glad I got it. Highly recommended.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
All in all I am very pleased with this bike, it was a gamble to buy on line with out a chance for a ride or even kick the tires. I feel it is excellent bang for the buck and it has many features and stats on bikes costing several thousands of dollars more.

How much was it roughly? Asking for a friend who doesn't have a garage stuffed with bikes and skis.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Took the Bam out this weekend. Did several miles on gravel with a detour onto dirt and single track.

Very impressed with the pedal assist mode. Maintained a good clip of 18+ MPH the way out and back on level 3 of 5. Even used the throttle a bit to try it. Still got a nice pedal workout in but being able to cruise at speed was wonderful. Needed to stop by the LBS to have the bottom bracket adjusted, it was a tad loose and squeaking. Adjustment done and its fine. My bike seems to have the 20MPH limit but I may be able to over ride it when I get the manual for the controller.

Lots of fun but mine is not a full trail bike, it will do easy trail and grass well. Tooling around town was quite fun.

Looks like you got it just in time. It appears that they got sued for copying another brand and got shut down. Their website is offline...

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any sign of the Orbea yet?

Yup. It's been about two weeks now, and my wife flat out loves it. She's riding more than she ever has here, mostly because the hills and near-constant high winds no longer demoralize her.

A huge plus is that we are once again having a blast riding together on the road. She can climb with me at the low or middle assist level, and still have here heart rate up in the 150s, and then not feel completely wrung out for the rest of the day.

Another bonus is that the motor system has a simple app for adjust the three assistance levels. It comes set at 30, 50 and 100%. The 100% level is hilariously fun a few times as a novelty (honey, I'm dropping you in 3, 2, 1......) but kind of ridiculous for somebody who is a lifelong biking nut.

When riding together, she sets them at 30, 40 and 50%. Here favorite group of riding friends are all retired, and ride 5 days a week. Mrs. K is down for two or three times a week, leaving a bit of a fitness gap, that has her always struggling just a bit to keep their pace. Turns out that all she needs in that scenario is 10 and 20%.

I know people will want to know about range, and that is a tricky question. We did a 33 mile, 3,800 foot, ~3 hour ride together last week, and she used nearly 90%. When she rides with her girlfriends, she uses about 25% on the same ride. So probably no surprise to anybody that range is highly dependent on distance, elevation profile, wind speeds, and just plain speed.

Finally, when assist kicks out at 20 mph, it is a gentle feeling, and the bike flies in the coasting department!

I need to post a real review of the thing, but, summer. It has greatly exceeded her expectations.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the motor in the hub or BB area?

Hub motor. It's a bit smaller in diameter than either the cassette or brake disk, so very unobtrusive. Also very quiet.

It's what I'd call a "light assist" ebike. Only 250 watts max power, and same size battery. That's how they get it down to 26 pounds.

J379TTCC-WW-SIDE-GAIN_M20i_USA.jpg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Kurt Russell Ebiking in LA on 9/9/19:
kurt russell.jpg

Goldie from 2018, ebike too?
goldie.jpg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I saw the absolute cool;est thing the other day.

On a recovery ride. Stopped at Baker's Bridge for a bit of food. Two e-bikes went by. They had something on their racks that I could not ID.

From the point I have a long downhill and was motoring to keep my HR up. I caught up with the gentleman. Their cargo - O2 tanks. The guy has COPD, needs O2, and his wife was carrying an extra tank for him.

Totally cool to see them out riding.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
<- wonders when dynamic re-charging will be significant enough that one can spec a minimum rider power at the pedal. Sure would make the old trick of putting the brakes on in downhills to keep power numbers up more useful.

Think of it as e-fixie.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
<- wonders when dynamic re-charging will be significant enough that one can spec a minimum rider power at the pedal. Sure would make the old trick of putting the brakes on in downhills to keep power numbers up more useful.

Think of it as e-fixie.

Have you ever worked on a bike with a front freewheel? You do not want a stick going into the chain!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Have you ever worked on a bike with a front freewheel?

Like the old Schwinns? Sure.

I get what you're saying with a BB motor; I still fancy one could close the power meter/brake loop electronically in a hub motor design.

In it's simplest form, if the wheel is accelerating and power is below a set threshold, apply X regen braking.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online