• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
Just curious if anyone's aware of rental shops either in/around Salt Lake City or Jackson Hole that have/plan to have any Renoun skis in their demo inventory for 2018... Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just curious if anyone's aware of rental shops either in/around Salt Lake City or Jackson Hole that have/plan to have any Renoun skis in their demo inventory for 2018... Thanks!
No, @Cyrus Schenck feels with his 100 day return policy, there is no need for demo's. Considering the universal respect the skis are getting, it is hard to argue with his logic.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
That's an easy one. The reason you are spending a grand on skis you haven't skied is becase you want to try them, same answer as if she asked why you were renting them. Except, you don't have to pay the rent if you don't like them. Seems perfectly logical. It should be harder to explain why you want to rent skis.

TS
AeroSKI5150

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
No, @Cyrus Schenck feels with his 100 day return policy, there is no need for demo's. Considering the universal respect the skis are getting, it is hard to argue with his logic.

Thanks Phil, can't disagree with ya there, very fair of them! For anyone who's spent considerable time on the Z-90's, any concerns that 180cm being the longest available length is insufficient?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Kidding aside, the 100 day return policy is a slam dunk. If you rent skis from a resort area it is likely $500 for a week, and you have zero to show for it.

Mathematically it is a good decision to buy skis if you are going to ski more than 5 days a year. You have no liability if you don’t like them.

Your only issue is IF you like them

Then is it :popcorn:time when the wife “get’s” the bill for them. There will be some of this :huh: going on, but in the end it will be a lot of :Teleb::daffy::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks Phil, can't disagree with ya there, very fair of them! For anyone who's spent considerable time on the Z-90's, any concerns that 180cm being the longest available length is insufficient?
Long enough for me and IIRC, we are about the same size.

Cyrus Schenck

Founder of Renoun Skis
Skier
Manufacturer
We put all our resources into the 100 Day Guarantee instead of demos - basically a 100 day demo this way. feel free to check it out.
https://renoun.com/pages/guarantee
**UPDATE** We now call this a straight "Moneyback Guarantee" where you can ski them aa handful of days over the course of 6 months. Less limitations!

Last edited:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
But it's still hard explain to my wife that I should spend a grand on skis that I haven't tried.
You shouldn't have to. Isn't WA a community property state? File then buy. Skiing on one ski kind of ruins it.

TS
AeroSKI5150

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
Long enough for me and IIRC, we are about the same size.

Sounds good... for sake of comparison, Blizzard Bonafide 183cm is my other prime contender. Been demoing those a few times last couple seasons, though I read the 2018's are quite different.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sounds good... for sake of comparison, Blizzard Bonafide 183cm is my other prime contender. Been demoing those a few times last couple seasons, though I read the 2018's are quite different.
Are you thinking Z90 or Endurence 98? Also, Bonafide is a 180

TS
AeroSKI5150

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
Tough call, indeed... been reading everything I can find on both and leaning toward the Z90... no plans for off piste/back country... Though one might suppose the En98 is more like the Bonafide (?) It must have been a 187 I finally found at the top of Whistler demo centre last season that was way too much ski for me :)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Why does the Z-77 get so little love compared to the Z-90?
My guess, one is as good as the other but Z-90 is more all mountain so will have a broader appeal, whereas Z-77 is more frontside specific. I've only read good things about both and can't recall any negativity wrt performance.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In it's current design, the Z90 will do almost everything the Z77 will do but the Z77 will not do everything the Z90 will. With that said, there are cases where the Z77 is slightly better and that is where you are looking for more of that GS feel and quickness edge to edge. IMHO (and I have passed this along to @Cyrus Schenck) right now the Z77 is just a 13mm narrower ski (from tip to tail) than the Z90. I think the Z77 should have a tighter TR, so I would have still have dropped the waist the 13mm but only dropped the tip and tail say 7-10mm creating a more slalom like ski, say a iRally type ski. Hell, I would do the next one as the Z80. I understand why he did what he did, it was the least expensive way to put his toe in the water for a narrower ski, because the costs to do it was minimal to see what the market would bear. The Z77 is a good ski but it has to folow in the footsteps of the Z90 which is indeed a special ski. The discussion in the Ski Flex thread actually applied here, just because it works at 90mm, does not mean it transfers completely to 77mm.

While I like the Endurance 98, it is the Z collection where the HDT really shines and makes the biggest differance, thats where I would really concentrate. But...what do I know, I have been wrong before.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
We put all our resources into the 100 Day Guarantee instead of demos - basically a 100 day demo this way. feel free to check it out.
https://renoun.com/pages/guarantee
so I read your policy and I Like IT. But it sounds to me as if you have a handful of ski's that have been returned that you need to donate to a SE Ski Patroller....:D

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you can't afford to try them you can't afford to buy them??

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Just my 2 cents. Demo's are kinda a $hit show. You have a weak binding & goodness knows if the ski you want will be on the rack in your size or what the last person did to them.....

Now 100 days......

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Two reasons: One is that 77 mm skis just aren't what's moving right now. Right or wrong, that's the case. Two, as Phil pointed out, the 77 could use a tighter turning radius, which most people shopping that width are looking for.

I wouldn't worry about length. I skied the 180 and wished for a 184, but I'm 6'2" and 195 and like long skis!

Sponsor

Staff online