• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpokaneSteve

Booting up
Skier
Hello all:

Last season we went to the local quality ski specialty shop and I bought my oldest son some Atomic Hawx 110. He was a senior in High School and didn't seem to be growing much and wanted to progress his skiing. The boots fit well then but were slightly difficult to get on each morning.

This year the boots seem darn near impossible for him to put on. It seems possible that he has grown a bit more but DANG, its a real battle to get them on, even with both of us working together.

He says they are still comfortable after he gets them on.

Has anyone heard of any modifications to assist with donning the boot? Maybe cutting the plastic back some or re-shaping it a bit?

Thanks much, Steve.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
boot horn. Have you tried this first?
https://skisnowboardboothorn.com/
Be sure to read instructions, when used as designed, it should utilize two slipping surfaces, horn slides down the back, foot slides down the horn.

Also, are you using ultrathin/thin high quality ski merino socks

Finally, are you using boot warmer to warm up the boot and make it a bit more pliable.

James

Out There
Instructor
Use the boot horn mentioned above. Or a piece of tyvek cut and put down the back, put foot in, then pull tyvek out.

IMG_5780.JPG

There's also a spray for the liner:
IMG_5781.JPG

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I use this a small hairdryer. I point it down between the flaps to warm them up. They open nicely when warm, and it takes maybe 1 minute to do that. It's a small hairdryer. I keep it in my bootbag.

Last edited:

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
...Or a piece of tyvek cut and put down the back, put foot in, then pull tyvek out.
saw a guy using tyvek 2 yrs back... Brilliant! it now comes with my boots where-ever I go... Thanks USPS!
Harder task is still getting the boot off, when somewhat cold... I have a piece of flexible polysheet (book report cover from staples) which I try to insert over my instep, before pulling boot off - it reduces the 'raking' on the instep from the shell overlap... polysheet is a bit too stiff to use for 'entry', hence the tyvek...
together, they have helped this olde man a bunch..

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Lace up Intuition liners definitely make putting boots on easy. Put the liners on first and then slip the liner and foot together into the boot.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Use the boot horn mentioned above. Or a piece of tyvek cut and put down the back, put foot in, then pull tyvek out.

View attachment 62537
There's also a spray for the liner:
View attachment 62538

I have both and they both worked well with my Langes. I have since switched to Tecnica Mach 1 Low Volume boots and have absolutely no issues getting them on.

BrynC

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Gonna bring this old dog back to life, cuz I'm having a heckuva time with my '22 Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120s. Once they're on, they fit quite well, but getting them on (even spreading the overlap of the clog, e.g. Harold Harb method) is challenging, and getting them off scrapes the heck outta my instep. No other overlap boots I've owned in the past (Langes, Scarpa Freedom, etc.) have behaved so egregiously:). Seems the Atomics have something of a reputation for "overstep bite", and just wondering if y'all have any thoughts other than those mentioned already. Leaving foot in liner for entry/exit hasn't proven any easier (actually harder). The challenge is real even at room temperature, so not sure additional heat would do much...though I could be wrong about that, and perhaps should try the hair dryer? Anyway, getting some great, base-building early snow here in N Central MT, and looking forward to a great season...If I can get my damn boots on and off reasonably! :roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The challenge is real even at room temperature, so not sure additional heat would do much...though I could be wrong about that, and perhaps should try the hair dryer?
Yes... boots that are actually warmed above room temp should be more pliable. But you don't want to over-cook it to the point where it's like it's been in an oven.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A heated bootbag like the [plug] @KULKEA Thermal Trekker [/plug] is great for putting them on and as far as off when they are cold? Some time in the lodge over a cold/warm beverage of choice. I know people who keep a hair dryer or heat gun in their bootbags as an extreme. The buddy system where two help each other get their boots off.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I put my boots by the car floor heater. Same taking them off. Easy peasy.

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Easy On or Slide On spray on the part of your sock you need to slide better. Hit the outside heel of your sock, the top over your arch and toes, and the underside of the ball of your foot and the the inside heel of your liner and footbed before sliding your boot on.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have the same problem and putting an intuition power wrap liner mage it a lot easier.

The liner spreads a lot, and there is no tongue to get in the way

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
That's one of the hardest non race boots to don. A technique that helps is when your foots gets to the difficult part, move your knee inward toward the other knee(medial). This both lowers the instep and softens the mid foot.

Sponsor

Staff online