• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ants!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That’s a lot of ants. Is this abnormal? I use boric acid mixed with water when I find a big ant hill. Safe for humans, and animals. Bad for insects.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That’s a lot of ants. Is this abnormal? I use boric acid mixed with water when I find a big ant hill. Safe for humans, and animals. Bad for insects.

Nature's cleanup crew. As long as they're not in the house or around it too close, no problem.
I live on 10 acres, there’s plenty of room for a few ant hills. I just never had seen them so active, but it was a warm sunny day, so they were taking advantage of it.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pasture - horses or cattle /sheep? I grew up with acreage and the older I get the more I miss it.

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The property used to have horses, then the neighbors used it for grazing cows. We’ve been planting trees and shrubs as a screen from nearby development.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is pretty impressive David.
Nothing like an old rotted tree stump in the sun to create a great ant condo complex in Western WA. Have been talked into using vinegar on ant hills before is it the best, who knows? Do something now though before that colony splits out and you have an extra wone to deal with David.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LOL, we had them in February - the March cold snap only just made them hide again.

Not a diatomic earths fan then?
I’m talking red ants- the kind that sting and Carpenter ants- the kind that eat your house. Garden variety ants? Don’t bother me in the least. Exoskeleton critters like ants and termites carry the borates ( which are salts) to their friends so it’s efficient and the least toxic way to get rid of them and nothing else. I grew up in the country, I love nature and the earth, it’s the world I often have problems with :roflmao:

TS
David Chaus

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There are enough birds and other wildlife around that will feast on excess ants, that I'm not concerned.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Black ants, no problem. Live and let live. Little red fire ants?? Nuke from orbit, especially wherever kids and pets play.

This stuff knocks out their main location but they usually pop up again about 50 feet away. 2-3 rounds usually does it or sends them to the nerighbotrs yard at least hahaha..

1679334453444.png

For indoor ants, Terro is pretty good.

1679334553394.png

Tex

Yee-haw!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I hate ants. Ants and sharks.

Sponsor

Staff online