• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Americans abroad

James

Out There
Instructor
That Ferrari looks good there in the Piazza della Signoria. Note there‘s a Fiat in front.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Ya, too often we earn our bad reputation.
We aren't alone though, look around a little and it really is not too hard to find nonresidents doing stupid stuff everywhere.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
Ya, too often we earn our bad reputation.
We aren't alone though, look around a little and it really is not too hard to find nonresidents doing stupid stuff everywhere.
It's a numbers game, mostly.

It's kind of like being a college football fan of Ohio State, Michigan, or Penn State, three of the biggest fanbases in the country. We have more bad fans, individually, than some programs have total fans. There's 332 million Americans, so that's going to be a huge number of bad tourists.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
Only a $506 fine? May have been easier than trying to find a legal parking space.

There are plenty of foreign tourists in NYC that would give any bad American tourist a run for their money.

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s been a few years, but is an international drivers license a thing? I’ve driven in Germany, Austria, Peru, Bolivia and was told each and every time my US drivers license was valid as long as it was current.

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
It’s been a few years, but is an international drivers license a thing? I’ve driven in Germany, Austria, Peru, Bolivia and was told each and every time my US drivers license was valid as long as it was current.
The last time I rented a car in Italy (just before the pandemic), I was told that I needed an International Driver's License to do so. A few years before that trip, I drove through parts of Northern Italy without one in a car rented and returned in France and without knowing of the requirement. I was not over so I never found out if it presented a problem. I would not drive in Italy without one at this point.

Gibby

Booting up
Skier
International drivers license is a waste of time and money. A few years ago I rented a car in France from Sixt. The international license didn’t work. My Colorado license did.

James

Out There
Instructor
I rented a car at CDG airport near Paris maybe 5 years ago. No special license.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't reallly get this "man didn't have even have an international driving permit" either. Sure when I go out of Europe, I normally get international license too, but only because of car rentals. And every single time until now, noone wanted to even check it, and "my local drivers license" was more then enough, regardless if this car rental was in US, Canada or anywhere in Africa. So yeah, I also think "my local drivers license" should be enough.

Sponsor

Staff online