• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
this is long overdue and will be a nice upgrade to the base area. Much welcomed.

Not really a dinner at the Bear River, more so at the bar in the Ptarmigan; who can resist a place with Happy Hour stamped onto the roof ... but who knows how long that'll remain till bought out.

Personally, while understanding the need to 4 season a resort, I really dislike their Alpine slide. To me it seems to clutter up the base and chops in have areas we'd transition across.

WP improvements look welcoming to me especially early season for snow. Sadly for me (and I am selfish!) while the IKON pass is a great deal if you live in the area of the resorts, was a downer for me and I'll presume others in the midwest too who have limited days and 4, 5 or more in the family. (whew, I feel better!)

Ah well, someday I'll take advantage of one of the passes!

James

Out There
Instructor
Anything happening at Aspen?
Like the old chair and Ruthie's lodge issue that had the World Cup go to Killington?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I really dislike their Alpine slide. To me it seems to clutter up the base

you're not alone in that thought. I would be curious to see the revenue on this and the Mini golf course too.

Overall, I think it looks worse in the summer, In the winter, you tend to get on the Gondi and don't pay attention to the base area. I am psyched to see improvements anywhere but really would like to see new lifts on Morningside, Bar-UE and maybe an ew lift on the Ridge. We really need expanded food services though as during peak times, our lodges are overwhelmed.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anything happening at Aspen?
Like the old chair and Ruthie's lodge issue that had the World Cup go to Killington?

Expansion plans on Ajax!

The White River National Forest has accepted an updated master development plan for Aspen Mountain that lays out the vision for a new chairlift and terrain expansion into the Pandora area, as well as expanded snowmaking to reach the top of the ski area
https://www.aspendailynews.com/news...cle_a277dce4-fbf3-11e7-8968-6bd298fbe548.html

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Ron agree with food service crowding .. mad house and then vacant. I almost wouldn't mind some short lift to make getting from weather station/Ridge Top back to Sunshine area .. really Tomahawk as to make loops on Jump Start/Hot Cakes but too fret it'd just get crowded. A small rest room / hut top side would be nice as not to haul family down to Rendezvous but we've lived without for 15+ yrs ...

I can see a lift Ridge side for easier access, but then fret more crowds. Heck, you get too many slow folks like me, you pro's would have a traffic jam on the Ridge!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I really have no idea of the issues at play in that area but the last line "we are just getting started" has the biggest impact down the road.

In a number of circles ski resorts are seen as a play ground of the rich subsidized by the government for the sole benefit of their friends. Many of those not involved with the sport would prefer they didn't exist or if they grudgingly accept them always oppose any further development.

It's a game we play endlessly in BC on any proposed project.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
I hadn't seen this thread before but the suggested improvement might be "cut down on leverage, and avoid Russia". [Only ex-finance types will get this ... ]

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Does it? Or is it more to do with the development of squaw Valley space area.
Hmmm....Don't know. It wasn't mentioned in the article; I assumed (yeah, I know!) that it was blocked for the works.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
In Toronto, golf courses don't pay property tax. Chew on that for a bit... :geek:
no end of cities in Canada also build ice rinks- then it's always a local decision, only pay to subsidize the operation or toss in free rent too.

JoeSchmoe

Snowboarder
Skier
no end of cities in Canada also build ice rinks- then it's always a local decision, only pay to subsidize the operation or toss in free rent too.
Most of the TO golf courses cater strictly to the very elite. At least ice rinks are used by a wider cross section of society (though arguably still middle class and up).

#threaddrift

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting turn of events announced today from Sierra Watch
This is awful! Carefully drafted plans that are well vetted and gain approval get overturned by special interests' endless litigation. Things can never improve if nobody is ever allowed to do anything.

Eric

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Theses are businesses that want return customers. Reducing chokepoints reduces the big wait. At Tremblant the locals might park at North but most visitors stay at south. I didnt drive my car for a week. The base area gets so mobbed its barlely worth skiing that side, but it can be much warmer on frigid days.

So if skiing continues to grow as 20 to 40 year olds have more money, and the rest of us hopefully live longer, these improvements will allow us to enjoy the sport. Not to mention that new equipment is safer and less apt to break down.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Eleeski--did you read in the article what was blocked?

"Alterra had sought to remake the region with a series of high-rise condo hotels, a 90,000 square-foot indoor waterparkas wide as a Walmart and nearly three times as tall, and a rollercoaster."

In addition the court found proper procedures and public input was not followed, nor were there adequate protections and fire evacuation plans in place given the high fire danger in the area.

Not exactly what anyone I know wanted at the base of Squaw and seemingly a proper court decision....

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMHO, the waterpark was a throw-away. It was never seriously on the table, it was there to be negotiatied out. With that said, I thiink we will see some development, but not to the scale that was originally proposed.

Sponsor

Staff online