• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Alta Resort Experience Anyone ?.

AdamSkiTech

Booting up
Skier
Hello Everyone,

Looking to take my bride to Alta this year as our travel trip. Not skiing local mountain until Brian Head-folks get the Las Vegas Ski Area sorted out. They just purchased it, and if it gets straightened out like Brian Head is run, Southern Nevada may just have a great little resort. Until then we'll travel.

Who has skied Alta and what are the preferred places to stay on the mountain ?. Looking for the least hassle, nicest-run accommodations, and easiest proximity to the hill. Best food, bars, ski shops for emergencies, all recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Preferably those that have been there more than once.

We're looking at the Alta Lodge. Little pricey, but on the mountain, and the breakfast and dinner are included. Been on the phone and they sound like they have their act together. Opinions welcome.

Thanks for the read.

Sincerely,

Adam L
Las Vegas
[email protected]

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Alta Lodge is wonderful, or at least it was some years back. Everything up there is not like it was even a few years ago, so place greater weight on recent reviews and testimonials. Not sure if you are aware or not that there isn't much up there. Skiing, food, brief après, and that's about it. It's lovely unless one is expecting more.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I have a pass there but local now so haven’t stayed on mountain for over 20 years. We used to either rent a house with a group or stay at the Peruvian which was …an experience.

If you can, get at least a day (or part of one) in at the Bird next door. Different vibe. Both really great hills.

The whole Alta experience is pretty unique, you’ll have a great time.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So if you go to Alta, I strongly recommend staying at the Goldminer's Daughter. Probably one of the best old school ski lodges out there, and it was built by skiers and is now owned by the staff all of whom are skiers ... and more importantly it is hands down the best location on the mountain as the front door is literally the start of the lift line for the main lifts. Oh and the food is great and there is plenty of it. They also just remodeled so you have the old school charm with modern amenities
1701303090550.png
GMD is the building immediately behind the lift so not exaggerating when I say the lift line starts at the front door lol

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
OK, first lesson, it is pronounced like “altitude” not “altar”.

Also, don’t know if you have boarders in your group but Alta is for skiers.

TS
A

AdamSkiTech

Booting up
Skier
OK, first lesson, it is pronounced like “altitude” not “altar”.

Also, don’t know if you have boarders in your group but Alta is for skiers.
We're skiers. That is "exactly" why we are going to Alta. :)

Thank you very, very much for the input. I will re-organize my destination plans for that lodge instead. Gold miners daughter. We don't care if we don't have a television, we do the same thing at Mammoth Mountain we stay at Tamarack cabins. As long as the hospitality is good, proximity to the mountain is good, and the food is good, we are happy.

Really thank you everyone for your input.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
it was pre-covid, so ... but I stayed at GMD and loved it.

if you want to ski Snowbird, GMD will take you over in a van in the morning and back at the end of the day (or at least they did). You can also ski back and forth, but that might not be convenient.

scott43

Skier

Thank you very, very much for the input. I will re-organize my destination plans for that lodge instead. Gold miners daughter. We don't care if we don't have a television, we do the same thing at Mammoth Mountain we stay at Tamarack cabins. As long as the hospitality is good, proximity to the mountain is good, and the food is good, we are happy.

It's a great place to ski. Enjoy!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed at GMD and loved it.
Quoting myself to add, I haven't stayed at the other Alta lodges, but they all have good reputations. The Peruvian is almost as convenient as GMD. Doesn't another one have a private mini-chairlift for access? Or am I confusing some other memory?

https://www.alta.com/lodging has a list of all of them...

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have

I have stayed at both, and would choose Alta Lodge every time except for price, so if that's a thing or not ... It's literally right next door. That said, I stay at GMD and like that too. Have also stayed at Peruvian (before the remodel, which made it more $$$) and Rustler (always more $$$), and I do think Alta Lodge hits the best value ratio thingy. Just depends.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am an altaholic, I love goldminers, more modern than Alta lodge, GMD has an elevator, Alta lodge 5 flights down to hot tub, back up then down to dinner, it's GMD for me. TVs are in GMD. Though I'm to tired to watch. I always go to lunch at Alta lodge, it's really good and was best bang for buck. Do check it out. It's living history, you never know who you'll run into. Have a great trip

RUBBERDUCK

Booting up
Skier
I have stayed at Peruvian, GMD, and Rustler. The Rustler is by far the best. I am picky when it comes to food and Rustler had the finest meals that I have ever had - even better than the meals at CMH.
Rustler has many very nice rooms to choose from depending on which wing you are in. I like the Cecret room with balcony. Perfect hot tubs inside and out, steam room, and awesome pool. Rustler has its own triple chair for access, ski out the door. Nice ski shop, bar lounge, afternoon snacks. The service is great, people are very friendly. The ambassadors will take care of you and everything. I really liked having dinner and drinks with Sheridan and Ross.

I stayed at the GMD 2 years ago in the new North Wing Suites. Very nice and clean. Food was good, but not nearly the quality and amount of selections as Rustler. No pool. Hot tub in downstairs basement room. Dining room, bar is a great place to hang out for fun.

The Peruvian. I would not stay there.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've stayed multiple times at GMD and highly recommend it. Perfect location and fantastic food.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I have stayed at Peruvian, GMD, and Rustler. The Rustler is by far the best. I am picky when it comes to food and Rustler had the finest meals that I have ever had - even better than the meals at CMH.
Rustler has many very nice rooms to choose from depending on which wing you are in. I like the Cecret room with balcony. Perfect hot tubs inside and out, steam room, and awesome pool. Rustler has its own triple chair for access, ski out the door. Nice ski shop, bar lounge, afternoon snacks. The service is great, people are very friendly. The ambassadors will take care of you and everything. I really liked having dinner and drinks with Sheridan and Ross.

I stayed at the GMD 2 years ago in the new North Wing Suites. Very nice and clean. Food was good, but not nearly the quality and amount of selections as Rustler. No pool. Hot tub in downstairs basement room. Dining room, bar is a great place to hang out for fun.

The Peruvian. I would not stay there.
So last time I stayed at GMD, I was in a group of four and we took one of the bunk rooms .... this was by far the best deal in Alta/Snowbird. This was pre-covid and I know the bunk rooms went away during covid as in theory you can just book a bed vs the entire room. Looks like this have come back so definitely worth considering if you want to save a couple bucks. That said the dorms are tight quarters and if there are not four of you, you may be sharing the room with a stranger so not for everyone. That said it looks like you have to call in if you want to book a dorm bed as they are not showing up on the website, but my guess is you are looking at something around $200/night which includes breakfast, après ski and dinner, so still a decent deal - you will however need to confirm pricing with them. Also FYI if you have stayed there before they give you a returning guest discount of 12%. FYI several other hotels in Alta/Snowbird also offered dorm rooms of various sizes, not sure if that is still the case but worth checking out. Probably still the cheapest way to get slope side convenience without selling a kidney lol
1701538977610.png

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Alta is a great hill. The lodging is unique--there is no village, if you like that feel/look. I have stayed up there a few times and each lodge has it's strengths.

Rustler is amazing and you pay for it.
Alta Lodge is old-school, lots of stairs, food is ok, Hot Tub in basement, run well.
GMD is a good option with lots of variety in room.
Peruvian has a walk across the parking lot everyday day that gets old pretty quick.

noobski

Out on the slopes
Skier
What is your budget? I've stayed/toured most of them. Snowpine is by far the nicest/best place, but super expensive. Otherwise go old school as suggested. Otherwise, if you don't care about being on mountain, staying in Cottonwood Heights area either VRBO or Marriott/Hyatt will save you $200+ per night plus you have 4 mountains within 20 minute drive (sans snow day) and 3 others within an hour.

This year a bunch of us are renting a house next to Peruvian and so it gets the price down to Cottonwood level, otherwise I'd stay down there and drive to save some dough and accepting of the potential for a red snake while having more areas to ski.

Sponsor

Staff online