• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Alta Phasing Out Howitzers/Adding 5 More Wyssen RACS Towers

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
This summer Alta is adding 5 Wyssen Remote Avalanche Control System (RACS) towers to the 4 O'Bellx RACS towers already present on Mt. Baldy and the 3 recently installed in the Supreme area of the resort. There are plans to add more towers next summer. The old military howitzers housed in the resort's artillery bunker that currently are used for avalanche control work will be phased out after the coming season. Another 13 UDOT RACS towers line the south-facing slopes of Cottonwood Ridge, strategically situated amongst the 64 named avalanche paths in the most active start zones of said avalanche-prone terrain. More RACS towers are located in BCC, with plans for additional ones to be added soon.

Alta's artillery bunker (near dead center of photo on prominent high point, as seen from target area (Mt. Baldy):
9EE66EFF-F697-4040-9444-67DD2ED20D30.jpeg

Alta's artillery bunker, as seen from Snowbird's Peruvian Gulch:
2CCED180-090F-4545-A5BD-315A404B37E5.jpeg

An Alta artillery bunker video:

Two of the four O'Bellx RACS towers minus their pods (removed by helicopter during the off-season), located on East Baldy at Alta.
D78173B9-1790-4A9C-B8BC-44C936F85669.jpeg

Some background on the O'Bellx RACS towers at Alta's East Baldy:

Two of the 13 UDOT RACS units (look like French Gas-ex to me), located high above LCC highway in the Superior, Hellgate, Sixtyfour Chute, Blackjack slide path area:
52F8E9C0-F2FB-4285-B614-75F314E2C538.jpeg

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Yeah, as far as I know, Alta was told to modernize. WW2-era technology being shot over the road, and more importantly...populated buildings... could not continue.

Forced improvements are still improvements though!!!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
After a patroller death, Squaw invested in new avalanche control technology.
I'm not sure how much they balance using the Gazex and how much they still use the traditional bombs, but safer avvy control is a trend.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bet the howitzers are more fun.
The howitzers were way fun when there was inter lodge at Alta. You could sit at the windows and watch the action.

The lampshades at Goldminer’s Daughter are howitzer shells. ogsmile

Sponsor

Staff online