• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eddie

Booting up
Skier
Great thread. Love the pics. Although they probably do not compare to all the 70s and 80s classics in this thread, I do have a pair of Olin DTSLs, 208, from 95 - 96. As I mentioned in the old Barking Bear forums, since they are wrongly stored in the attic of my parents' garage, the top sheets are peeling off. I guess that extream summer heat will do that. Yet my Salomon X-Scream series up there are fine, like new. Who knows. Anyhoo, since I like the looks of my Olins, can the sheets be glued back on? Can I bring this to a ski shop to have this done. Not for skiing, but for decorations of old skis, and great memories on them.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
^ Pretty sure a quality contact cement will work on your top sheets but more than likely you will have to do that yourself. As a repair for wall hanger.
If those are the top sheets that wrap down the sides of the ski I think those were called “cap skis” and many brands used this style in the early 90’s and one day they all popped off! Lol
Just kidding - extreme heat/ cold in storage probably popped my K2 and Olin cap skis too.
There are some great Olin skis produced after the Mark Series but they definitely got some mileage from this style all through the 1970’s and into the early 1980’s. What I find fascinating is that when skier’s interest in OLIN MARK skis faded, some of the last ones produced, were kind of ahead of their time. They had a fair amount of side cut, excellent craftsmanship/materials and torsional/flex characteristics -so much so that I would argue they still provide enough feedback to enjoy to ski all day and they hold up performance wise to what is on the market today. At least at my recreation level.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
1A69919C-B64E-4279-96EB-23A5D02F373F.jpeg

The MARK lV’s Definitely had turned up tails when first introduced, then HEXCEL followed suit and introduced the Firelite with turned up tails too.

Speaking of MARK lV tails...
Pretty sure the timeline of variations in photo above begins top left then clockwise

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
^ I have been writing a lot in this thread probably because I am nearing acquiring all the MARK skis I have been searching for...
A quick peek at current ski dimensions and obviously the old Olin’s are still pretty skinny in comparison to what’s at the Ski Shop today!
84mm tip and 60mm waist where nothing is under 72 mm waist today.
Yet I can old school carve with them on hard packed.

I do have some more modern skis... like Voikl Super Sport/ Super Speeds - an example I am not completely old fashioned!
Lol

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Looking at the pics I would say that is an awesome pair of Olin’s!!
Condition and graphics look awesome and I will bet you couldn’t find a better length for that model/year.
Best thing though, to find an answer to your question, no doubt would be to search google books for ski magazine articles and Olin advertising-
The articles will address performance but the advertising will help pin point the year they were sold.
My hunch is they were top of the line with a recreational racing flex-
Ample side cut
And a welcome black scheme where just years prior they were lack luster white.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Anyone have any info on the OLIN 921 skis? I'm assuming mid 80's for these 210cm examples...

View attachment 45695

View attachment 45694
The Olin 900 Group (920i 930i & 970i) was their International Series introduced late 1981 the 970i was the top of the line for the Advanced to Expert skier. I seem to remember they were wood core some glass and I think the top model had metal. They also made a 700 Group for intermediates and some rentals.

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
My first Red Sleds at 205cm
Chose them for a NASTAR run once and it took all I had to pick them up and turn them!
Heavy
Funny but I made a mistake and had them tuned and in hindsight they shouldn’t have been run on a belt, at least not for the duration the ski shop did- messed up cracked edges gaps.
But-
After that I enjoyed the sound my edges make- whenever I start a descent “hisssss”

P.S.
I have a pair of the real Red Sleds
Atomic ARC too
:)

Last edited:

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
A Ski Bum walks into a Bar...
Wait, let me start over;

An avid ski collector walks into an old Pub out in the middle of no where...
Heck, here is the real story:

This incorrigible OLIN ski fanatic, (this would be me), who happens to be endlessly searching for examples of each of the classic and enduring MARK series, walks into an Antique Shop in a small town in upstate NY.....

B6CE9F37-5D97-41F2-BCDB-12E9D7E1E2CD.jpeg
65E9229D-D221-43CE-A9D5-7F4490D567A0.jpeg
35D3665E-C848-43A0-BB0F-55FF54F1A45F.png

By the numbers and letters:
195cm MARK Vll w/ Marker M30’s

PS: What part of Aramid Honeycomb do you not understand?

In conclusion:
The 5th pair of MARK Vll’s I have ever seen available, and the only pair that I have seen in person, (btw they are actually grey metallic, who knew?!)
Are now in my possession!
(I would drop the mike but... I have come this far, so I may as well keep searching for first edition light blue Mark lll’s in 180cm! Lol!)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A Ski Bum walks into a Bar...
Wait, let me start over;

An avid ski collector walks into an old Pub out in the middle of no where...
Heck, here is the real story:

This incorrigible OLIN ski fanatic, (this would be me), who happens to be endlessly searching for examples of each of the classic and enduring MARK series, walks into an Antique Shop in a small town in upstate NY.....

View attachment 48919 View attachment 48920 View attachment 48921
By the numbers and letters:
195cm MARK Vll w/ Marker M30’s

PS: What part of Aramid Honeycomb do you not understand?

In conclusion:
The 5th pair of MARK Vll’s I have ever seen available, and the only pair that I have seen in person, (btw they are actually grey metallic, who knew?!)
Are now in my possession!
(I would drop the mike but... I have come this far, so I may as well keep searching for first edition light blue Mark lll’s in 180cm! Lol!)
Hmmm M40 toe and M30 heel? The ole days of mixing and matching.

Joal

Out on the slopes
Skier
These feel like a sweet little ski. I have been having good luck lately with my bsl fitting bindings and again with these.

195 Demonstration Team Slalom LOOK Z7 din 5-13
IMG_0251.JPG

IMG_0250.JPG

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

I raced on the Comp SL and Comp GS in high school. Thanks for posting the pics; definitely brings back some great memories. The way I now think about Stockli skis is how I felt about my Olins back in the day. I wish I still had my Olins to hang on the wall. My Dynastars were great skis, but my Olins were special (and they were hard to afford for a high school kid who had to fund his ski racing habit himself).

Sponsor