• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Back in those days shops were just starting to use the belt sanders for base grinds. Betting the heat expanded the metal sections and left gaps when they cooled back down. Hand filing VCEs was probably a lot safer.
The belt sander in the shop I worked had a cooling fluid with a recurrculation pump. It kept the belt cool and removed some of the rust and P-Tex from the belt. The pump would start when you turned on the sander and you could get fired if you let the fluid level get below the proper level. The machine was very expensive for a belt machine. When the shop closed I thought about buying it but even used it was too much for me.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The belt sander in the shop I worked had a cooling fluid with a recurrculation pump. It kept the belt cool and removed some of the rust and P-Tex from the belt. The pump would start when you turned on the sander and you could get fired if you let the fluid level get below the proper level. The machine was very expensive for a belt machine. When the shop closed I thought about buying it but even used it was too much for me.
Did they all have liquid cooling or only the top end models?

Uncle-A

Skier
Did they all have liquid cooling or only the top end models?
Yes, to the best of my recollection. They all used the liquid and we had to buy it from the same manufacturer or they would void the warranty. They sold it by the gallon and back then it was pricey, something like $20 a gallon in the 1970's. You also had to buy the sanding belts from them and it was just an 80 grit 6 X 48. It had a guide to do the side edge but it was only for a 90 degree edge. When I did my own skis I had to make an attachment to estimate a three degree side edge but it's was still a 0 - 3 grind. All the other guys in the shop would just do a 90 degree edge.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I should have these this week...Olin PRO STAFF with matching pink Look ZR bindings. The guy who had them wanted to know if I knew anyone who wanted to make a chair, I said no way are these being made into a chair
FullSizeRender.jpeg

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
Thank you @Doug Briggs & @crgildart for helping me complete my OLIN MARK quiver with your old MARK lll and spare COMP lV’s respectively. I will post a photo of my MARK Series Skis all together as soon as I can.
Until then please join me in welcoming two new members into my group; the first and last; the “bookends” I call them: OLIN MARK l and MARK Vll skis.
It has been an unnerving 4 weeks for me this past month as I shipped these skis to myself from NY to NC but UPS lost them. They finally found them within the sorting of lost packages they call “Over-goods”.
btw: the email there is:
[email protected]
Phone #: 855-281-1004
This is a location serving the East and maybe more. Lost items are cataloged by having packages opened and contents entered into a data base. Lucky I sent a photo of my skis which was taken before I sent them and I kept checking in with Overgoods.
I share this information because in my attempts to locate my skis they told me that 3 pairs of Atomic skis were there- Maybe please pass the word along, someone could be looking for those skis too!
Thanks.
Here are the Bookends:

Attachments

• 07193B9C-35FB-4CE6-A9AB-FAE93944179B.jpeg
    07193B9C-35FB-4CE6-A9AB-FAE93944179B.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 17

Uncle-A

Skier
Thank you @Doug Briggs & @crgildart for helping me complete my OLIN MARK quiver with your old MARK lll and spare COMP lV’s respectively. I will post a photo of my MARK Series Skis all together as soon as I can.
Until then please join me in welcoming two new members into my group; the first and last; the “bookends” I call them: OLIN MARK l and MARK Vll skis.
It has been an unnerving 4 weeks for me this past month as I shipped these skis to myself from NY to NC but UPS lost them. They finally found them within the sorting of lost packages they call “Over-goods”.
btw: the email there is:
[email protected]
Phone #: 855-281-1004
This is a location serving the East and maybe more. Lost items are cataloged by having packages opened and contents entered into a data base. Lucky I sent a photo of my skis which was taken before I sent them and I kept checking in with Overgoods.
I share this information because in my attempts to locate my skis they told me that 3 pairs of Atomic skis were there- Maybe please pass the word along, someone could be looking for those skis too!
Thanks.
Here are the Bookends:
What color are the Mark I skis?

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
@Uncle-A,
I know the MARK l’s were offered in different colors, and they had different performance characteristics, but mine are the first edition Black with small letters.
I still remember my first look into a ski shop in the early 1970’s and seeing a wall of early Black OLIN MARK l’s and later skiing on them In 205cm exclusively in Canada at Mt. Trembant and Mt. St. Anne- all the while with Bob Funk of “The last of the Ski Bums” an inspiration to cruise on full length all black skis. :cool:

da-cat

Hoarders Anonymous
Skier
PS- My old 205’s were misplaced over the years but I talked my Brother out of his old 200’s to add to my quiver, he was okay with that. We bought them on the same day back in about 1977 at a ski shop clearance sale, I had 444’s mounted on mine.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
@Uncle-A,
I know the MARK l’s were offered in different colors, and they had different performance characteristics, but mine are the first edition Black with small letters.
I still remember my first look into a ski shop in the early 1970’s and seeing a wall of early Black OLIN MARK l’s and later skiing on them In 205cm exclusively in Canada at Mt. Trembant and Mt. St. Anne- all the while with Bob Funk of “The last of the Ski Bums” an inspiration to cruise on full length all black skis. :cool:
Thanks for mentioning Funk. I was trying to remember his name. I didn't know who he was until I saw that movie long after meeting him.

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
Found these for sale near me:

Uncle-A

Skier
@Uncle-A,
The first pair of skis that I gave my wife was a pair of the Mark I skis but they were the Reddish ones with the White lettering. The ones with the White lettering was the novice to intermediate, the ones with the Yellow lettering were the better performance model.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

Uncle-A

Skier
I saw some square tip Mark IIIs at a thrift store awhile back. Not sure how common or rare they are, but I'd never noticed any square tips on Olins other than IV Comps and Ballets.
From what I remember there was a Mark III S for Soft that may have had a squared off tip in later years. It was a darker blue than the original. But some of the model of different vintages can be a little fuzzy some 40 years later.

sortaold

Booting up
Skier
First post, I'm not sure where else to post this.

I just rediscovered my obsession with skiing after about 25 years being away from it. found my old Lange boots and borrowed a pair of skis from a friend and went to a small local hill over at West Point. Why I stopped this fun is a mystery to me, I had a great time and turns out I'm not a horrible at it.

In the 80's I was obsessed with skiing and ski gear, could never afford the great stuff but nevertheless managed to score a pair of Olin Mark VI from my generous dad, along with some Lange boots (those Lange posters) I skied the hell out of those skis and after my dad passed I brought them to my house. He still had the gear in his, all taken care of. He continued to ski into his 70's

Thing is, I've also rediscovered my obsession for these skis in particular, and 80's gear. So, here I am with the question......

Can i ski them? They seem to be in amazing condition.. In my research I've read many things regarding attempting to use old skis. Of course the old Marker M36 bindings are probably dangerous but the skis seem like they could stand a ride and I'm likely to take them to the West Point hill to try them out. If they work ok I might invest in some new bindings for them. The skis I'm borrowing this season are fairly new and carve pretty well, much easier than I remember any skis I had and I know the Olins probably won't be magic BUT, what could it hurt?

I've read that Olins stand less of a chance of de-lamination than others, I've read that storage conditions determine the chances of it, I've read that skiing old skis is a ridiculous pursuit.

Is it? I really want to take these things for a ride and see.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Now there's a pair of Mark III S with full turned up tails at the thrift store around the block.... and the same color scheme as those Mark VIs above. Black or dark green with yellow lettering.. weird!
Grabbed this off Google.. this color for sure..
1613268337935.png

Sponsor

Staff online