• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) All that snow and Chile resorts are unable to open

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Our Chilean resort friends are experiencing some of the best snow they've had in several years and due to the pandemic are unable to open, ranking 8th in the world for cases.

Valle Nevado reporting 165 cm snow (65 inches) and Ski Portillo reporting storm totals of 48 inches, 14 inches and 12 inches concurrently, and they remain closed while they wait out the complications of travel in this crazy time.

It is clear in web cams and social media posts that they are maintaining the ski areas in hopes of opening, which makes for some droolworthy viewing for those of us who wish we were waxing skis for a trip.

105707208_10157104533117021_2782225604867151239_o.jpg

106013855_10157088349162021_797030452999147500_o.jpg

VN Piscina Hotel.png

VN Sector Escuela.png
VN Vista Terraza La Fourchette.png

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
:drool:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
@Gary Stolt @MaryG Timing is everything, Valle Nevado August 2019.
B82576ED-0578-4D0A-B1AD-9E7DFED02A75.jpeg

Our Chilean resort friends are experiencing some of the best snow they've had in several years and due to the pandemic are unable to open, ranking 8th in the world for cases.

Valle Nevado reporting 165 cm snow (65 inches) and Ski Portillo reporting storm totals of 48 inches, 14 inches and 12 inches concurrently, and they remain closed while they wait out the complications of travel in this crazy time.

It is clear in web cams and social media posts that they are maintaining the ski areas in hopes of opening, which makes for some droolworthy viewing for those of us who wish we were waxing skis for a trip.

View attachment 105540

Reactions: Ron
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Ya @Tricia The picture on the left from 2019 actually makes conditions look way BETTER than they were. Sounds like they already have had more snow this year than they had all of last season. Not that it matters :(

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
It's a real shame as I was hoping to be there next month to celebrate my 60th .
Oh well. I'll just have to ski my home ski slopes which are getting underway right now
I heard Treble Cone is not going to be open every day. Peak times, good pow days, and school holidays. Cardrona bought them and so they figure if you have a pass you can go there which will be open every day. I think Mt Hutt may also not be open every day.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's a real shame as I was hoping to be there next month to celebrate my 60th .
Oh well. I'll just have to ski my home ski slopes which are getting underway right now
Looks like you'll be "one year older when you do." ...Warren Miller.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard Treble Cone is not going to be open every day. Peak times, good pow days, and school holidays. Cardrona bought them and so they figure if you have a pass you can go there which will be open every day. I think Mt Hutt may also not be open every day.
Both are open full time.
TC is open. Just. only 30cm up top and 25cms at the base. Rocks everywhere
Hutt is firing 120cms at the top 40cms at the base

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Both are open full time.
TC is open. Just. only 30cm up top and 25cms at the base. Rocks everywhere
Hutt is firing 120cms at the top 40cms at the base

Yup, I had a cracking day at Hutt yesterday. Good snow quality and coverage. I believe they've been open 7 days/week since 1 July.
About time we started a 2020 Au/NZ thread...

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Ahem. Please wear a mask. :mask:

Apropos what?

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Part of the adventure in skiing in Chile is traveling and the overall experience of skiing in a new country. There's something really cool about walking through he airport with your ski boots in July/August. I remember going through security and the agent asking me why I had ski boots with me. I told him its winter in SA, he had to think a couple of seconds.... :).

Sponsor

Staff online