• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Gear All Mountain Skis for Resort and Touring?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I've been wanting to try the Head Kore 93. Love the 105 but I hear they do not ski the same.

I liked the Kore 105, but I loved the Kore 93 and have a pair on order for next season.

I have seen, but not skied the new for 2019 Kore 99. It has a lot more shape (side cut) than the Kore 105 so the feel on hard pack should be different.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Appreciate all the comments. Through this thread I've realized I'd rather have separate touring and resort all mountain set ups. Thinking something like a Voile V6 or Supercharger with a MTN binding. Very light compared to what I have now.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Totally doable to have a ski do double duty. I skied with a 1 ski quiver inbounds and out for the first two and a half years I skied since it was already expensive to size up in the length as I progressed. I've been touring on a Pandora 95 that I love and even though I've found a dedicated inbound ski, I haven't liked it nearly as much. I'm considering getting quiver killers since the Shift is a little heavy for multi-day trips or volcano skiing in the PNW, and I tend to wait a season to make sure it holds up to the safety and performance that they're seeing in the pre-launch testing.

Looks like Powder7 demoed out the Kastle 95s on your list at some point with a (frame) AT binding, so you're not the only one to see those as a good inbound/outbound option.
BTW, quiver killers will add a lot of weight to your skis.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I don't own Quiver Killer inserts but i have always thought that their best use is that they allow someone who is flying to a ski destination to take several pairs of skis but only one pair of bindings, saving weight and space.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Appreciate all the comments. Through this thread I've realized I'd rather have separate touring and resort all mountain set ups. Thinking something like a Voile V6 or Supercharger with a MTN binding. Very light compared to what I have now.

I would go simple and light for the touring setup. No need to carry extra weight when there are so many awesome light gear choices nowadays that are safe and ski great.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been looking at getting a 50/50 setup too. I am on the opposite end of the human scale, XXL size. One thing I am not sure about is if ski weight is equivalent for both of us?? If I am fine with a 1700gram ski, you might need a 1500gram ski to be the same?

Anyway, I have been researching and I have come to the following conclusions. I break skis into three groups:

2000g's and up: basically dedicated alpine skis that will ski downhill great but be heavy on the uphill

1700-1900g's: My sweet spot and most will be good on uphill an be good to great on the down hill

1000-1600g's: Very easy on the uphill, but just OK on downhill and require more conservative skiing.

I am going with a Blizzard Zero G 108 (1750g's) with Salomon shift bindings. This will allow me to do side country from the resort with just one ski, which is mostly how I will use them. I can ride and ski lift serviced terrain and then skin out or up for some side country terrain.

Another big factor is binding weight and boot weight. The shift bindings are alpine equivalent with a slight weight increase from touring bindings. I want the alpine equivalent for resort skiing. I plan on 1500g boots that are much lighter than alpine boots, but stiff for a touring boot. I am looking at the Salomon Mtn Lab boot.

This gear is much more complex to get into than an alpine setup. Good luck.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Just an update here. I was able to get Nordica Santa Anas for cheap this off season so I went with that for my all mountain resort skis and looking at the Voile Supercharger 154 + Zed binding combo for a lighter touring set up. This would cut 4+ pounds off what I have now! While I know the Zed is just coming out this season, seems like a great combo of features, weight, and price when I compared them to other options like U springs from Salomon etc.

@ScottB Totally get your logic and if you are trying to get your quiver down to one ski, what you are looking at makes a lot of sense. I've used powder skis + Kingpins for a season or so now and they have worked fine. I'm not doing really long skins most of the time and if I am for some reason not a big deal for a day.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@ScottB Totally get your logic and if you are trying to get your quiver down to one ski, what you are looking at makes a lot of sense. I've used powder skis + Kingpins for a season or so now and they have worked fine. I'm not doing really long skins most of the time and if I am for some reason not a big deal for a day.

I am not sure if I am following correctly, but my goal is to add a touring ski that also fills a hole in my downhill ski quiver. I have 6 or so downhill skis, no AT skis. I want my AT ski to be a 1 ski quiver of AT skis, but since I don't AT very often, want to use it as a 50/50 ski in the 105-115 width range for my downhill quiver. I have a wider powder ski, and several all mtn skis in the 85-100 range. All my existing skis are too heavy to use as AT skis (except my Liberty Origin 96's) and binding/boot compatibility is an issue.

Anyway, your selection sounds good, I am not that familiar with the Volle gear, but they are a well known name.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I am not sure if I am following correctly, but my goal is to add a touring ski that also fills a hole in my downhill ski quiver. I have 6 or so downhill skis, no AT skis. I want my AT ski to be a 1 ski quiver of AT skis, but since I don't AT very often, want to use it as a 50/50 ski in the 105-115 width range for my downhill quiver. I have a wider powder ski, and several all mtn skis in the 85-100 range. All my existing skis are too heavy to use as AT skis (except my Liberty Origin 96's) and binding/boot compatibility is an issue.

Anyway, your selection sounds good, I am not that familiar with the Volle gear, but they are a well known name.

I got the Black Crows Navis 185's as my OSQ AT ski. Works VERY well in a wide range of snow conditions. I used it in just about every snow condition imaginable this past season.

TS
Snowflake2420

Snowflake2420

I70 is Life
Skier
Update New BC set up! Cannot wait for some more snow to fall

NiAO80SVT-MHWmO0pJ43ScKOuh_Fwyqz_LOFxVCNjLBTt4gaLsT02ITl2lLT4WJanxDQ5velgdqvoLrBeOZj8WcsJeQVqQwsgogZ8mmD7PtB7hOdtCvEd_jrHNpA5fwhkP8G93vrUzeS9XExPwut3O-edPxzM7DTmY9-4h-DnP9lh7cr5ZcSV9TX7WTpSpzgbMoO29y49rCfJAmcMhROofRhI2iQ2ZQ-u9kE1jnNuF29akC4wmC2afSjWlyOKEMKw7uKYYX-rWTq-gt0qTStZE9us7QiLHg-Xg3-XuFMEo23-C5te_tUE9ArgddFqSB9AzUCp01ndu_ue11UHNqUryIfybJj0ncJMYaNA8G-aa180AW50eAojjaZH89IXCVGSGTtuod-0_fmBC0JvU76Qd8r1drq9fXPTycUN6otZAC1hCMnvANixg3ZOH_JoCJ7N15H_kxVhjU-uVpBSRam3IOfhgqQ5LGm60bdtrtDSOfR9bf04Cb3NIcGdXBqp38P2XQcGWC8dDDz6uz2EHBZ_7ZQah6w7pPxJ_GXC9MKH_5-vPhGWyXiUvBYCLRRUoZ2OLIWHtN_BwY7iavNuXJtFwiMUC3L8nuo3NLa6975T2gyVFFIBj3Sac-QxFAjN5PS=w499-h664-no

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Maybe Fischer Ranger 108 Ti's. They have "Aerotech Ti", which is milled wood and Ti to reduce weight

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Totally doable to have a ski do double duty. I skied with a 1 ski quiver inbounds and out for the first two and a half years I skied since it was already expensive to size up in the length as I progressed. I've been touring on a Pandora 95 that I love and even though I've found a dedicated inbound ski, I haven't liked it nearly as much. I'm considering getting quiver killers since the Shift is a little heavy for multi-day trips or volcano skiing in the PNW, and I tend to wait a season to make sure it holds up to the safety and performance that they're seeing in the pre-launch testing.

Looks like Powder7 demoed out the Kastle 95s on your list at some point with a (frame) AT binding, so you're not the only one to see those as a good inbound/outbound option.
Qk didn't make sense for what you say you want to do
They are heavy and they will negate any weight savings with lighter bindings.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Qk didn't make sense for what you say you want to do
They are heavy and they will negate any weight savings with lighter bindings.

How so? Inserts are ~1.15g each. ~10 screws per binding, mounted for 2 binding options, and 2 skis per pair - we're talking 46 grams/around an ounce and a half when all said and done. It would take inserts for 11 bindings to bridge the weight difference between the rotations and the Shifts. They're great bindings, but not for me.

Sponsor

Staff online