• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All mountain ski with some emphasis on moguls

Tellurider

Should have known not to ski a run called Jaws
Skier
About me: 5'11", 160lb, 64 years old. I ski Telluride and Santa Fe. I ski about 35 days per season. I'm looking to replace my 2018/19 Volkl Kendos with a low-to-mid-90's ski. I already have a 100mm ski (Armada Stranger).

I enjoy skiing a variety of terrain, from blue and black groomers to moguls and occasionally trees. At Telluride I ski the Plunge and Revelation Bowl. At Santa Fe I ski a good fraction of the blacks.

I would particularly like to improve my mogul skills and ski them with more grace and efficiency. On the other hand I ski with family and friends, and we ski a variety of terrain in a day, so I don't want a very strongly mogul-oriented ski. Also, I'd like a ski that is reasonably stable at speed on steep groomers but not so stiff as to be problematic in the bumps.

(For those who know Telluride: I'd like a ski that works reasonably well on both Revelation and the Plunge, though not ideal for either alone.)

I think this leads me to a low-to-mid-90's all mountain ski, with a low swing weight, and with a medium to medium-stiff flex. Do people agree?

I've found many possibilities in my research. Two that I have my eye on are the Armada Declivity 92 Ti 172cm and the Stockli Stormrider 95 176cm, which I can get at local ski shops. But I'm not averse to ordering something else online if not available locally.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, personal experiences, and suggestions.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
All Montain skis.
Volkl Kendo (5th gen - 2023/24).
Stockli SR-88.
Peak 88.

Bias toward bumps.
Volkl Blaze 94.

1Turn2Many

Out on the slopes
Skier
Enforcer 94 if you want low to mid 90s. I’d go narrower though if it was me. Maybe Experience 86ti or wait until year. Seems like some interesting new skis are coming out.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
If you already have 100mm wide ski, I’d go with Stormriders 88. I picked up a pair and it’s marvelous on the Fall Line, Wizard, and every where else in Santa Fe.

Ski the Moguls

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A couple of years ago I went from Volkl Kendo’s to Head Kore 93’s. To me the skis felt very similar, but with one big difference - the Kore’s are so light weight that even though I went one size longer for more float and stability, they still felt about the same weight and quickness in the bumps and trees. Worth a demo before making your decision.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Enforcer 88 might be worth considering. I pair them the 100 on my ski wall, very stable and playful. This year Nordica is doing update and making them a 99.

TS
T

Tellurider

Skier
I've researched the various suggestions and at this point I'm leaning toward the Stormrider 88.

Some of the others mentioned seem like they'd be excellent in the bumps but the reviews mention chatter at speed, and I'm willing to accept a bit more fatigue in the bumps for a bit less chatter.

Researching the Peak 88 it seems to be out of stock in 176 cm. Is that available anywhere?

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are considering SR88 ( not known for a soft tail or lots of rocker/splay ) then what about Kastle MX88 173 at your H/W ? It won't be a mogul champ though.

Keep an eye on eBay.
I happened to snipe a set of NEW current model MX88 173 for $380+ship and then another set of NEW previous topsheet ( same ski ) MX83 168 for $325+ship. The key is A) always be on the lookout and B) don't hesitate when a deal comes along. It's soon to be the off season -> there are deals to be had with the low snow year and dealers sitting on inventory.

The Rossi 82ti and 86ti get lots of love here and Phil is very positive on Fischer's new CURV series ( replaces the RC One GT series )

So many good skis, so little time !

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Enforcer 88 is good for bumps, in addition to what Phil said. It's damp.

The Stormrider 88s would work if you want to carve bumps when that's possible.

The older version Brahma downsized was a cheater ski for bumps, and also carved well.

The Kendo is so great otherwise, especially carving stuff and on steeps, that its slight lack of dampness
almost doesn't matter. Almost. (Unless you are a carve first kinda skier).

I've not skied it, but many swear by the Folsom Spar 88, for a balance of on piste and off,
including especially moguls. (They get loose easily, while being damp/stable - and mostly solid carving.)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think the Fischer Rangers 84,90,96 are some great hand holders for the bumps as are the Dynastar M-Pro 84 and 90.
Was about to say this.
I've been digging the Ranger 84 a lot in the moguls this year. I have not yet gotten on the Dynastar M-pro 84. I need to

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I've researched the various suggestions and at this point I'm leaning toward the Stormrider 88.

Some of the others mentioned seem like they'd be excellent in the bumps but the reviews mention chatter at speed, and I'm willing to accept a bit more fatigue in the bumps for a bit less chatter.

Researching the Peak 88 it seems to be out of stock in 176 cm. Is that available anywhere?
If there is any chatter on SR88, I am not noticing it in terms of reduced stability. It is probably best to demo before buying. Anyone has them for demo in Telluride? If not, Le Ski Mastery in Taos is your place. And if we are BSL buddies (305mm) and are at Santa Fe at the same time, I’ll be happy to swap skis with you for a run or two.

TS
T

Tellurider

Skier
... And if we are BSL buddies (305mm) and are at Santa Fe at the same time, I’ll be happy to swap skis with you for a run or two.
Thank you Pasha! We are different BSLs. But I can demo that SR88 in Telluride. I'll be there in 3 weeks.

TS
T

Tellurider

Skier
I've not skied it, but many swear by the Folsom Spar 88, for a balance of on piste and off,
including especially moguls. (They get loose easily, while being damp/stable - and mostly solid carving.)
After seeing this I looked at the Spar 88 discussion on this site. I also went to the Folsom site, and they are out of the Spar 88 in 176. But Powder7 has some 177 in stock.

TS
T

Tellurider

Skier
I decided to phone Folsom and I ended up ordering the Spar 88. They arrived last week and I've skied on them twice.

I haven't owned many skis in my life, so I can't make comparisons. But what I can say is that I'm very, very happy with these. I took a lesson two days ago, and the instructor and I ventured onto a variety of terrain. I was able to stay with the instructor through steep black bumps, even some icy bumps. I feel like I'm skiing better than ever on these, both on groomers and in moguls.

foggy1

Booting up
Skier
Love my Kendo's with about 150 days on them in the bumps. Not so great carving any more though.

Sponsor

Staff online