• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

AK Skis (Swiss), anybody know them?

twomartinis

He who makes no mistakes makes no progress ~T.R.
Skier
AK Skis

Just [impulse] bought a pair of AK Blacks for Northeast groomers & curious to see if anyone here has any intel?
Not much info out there - other than sort of coming off as a bougie brand with clothing, collabs, etc. (reminds me of Vist). Incidentally, looking up Vist was how I landed here at Skitalk (from TGR)!

Eric Edelstein

ExoticSkis
Skier
Industry Insider
I have talked to several people who have ridden the AK skis (originally created by Aldo Kuonen... now his Daughter runs the business). Very high quality, somewhat pricey, but accurate, superbly made frontside carving skis with a hint of elitism in their undertow. The folks I have talked to loved the AKs...especially the Black model. curious to hear how you like them!

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
Before starting AK Ski Aldo Kuonen worked as a ski instructor in St Moritz, in the mid-1970s he went to work as a race serviceman for Rossignol eventually becoming race team director. He is regarded as the discoverer of Vreni Schneider, Michela Figini, Paul Accola and Michael von Grüningen.

After leaving Rossignol he went to work for Lacroix, in 1993 he became Atomic’s sales and marketing manager and played a key role in the introduction of the beta technology. After Atomic was taken over by the Amer Group he left and started AK Ski.

Sadly, Aldo was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the end of 2011 and died in June 2012. Since then, his children Francesca and Marco have run the business. Since Aldo’s death they have driven the brand upmarket via collaborations with Dior, Hublot, Porsche and Kjus and have started to sell clothing. In a radio interview in 2013 they said that manufacturing was outsourced, as the skis are not marked “Swiss Made” it’s more than likely that they are made outside Switzerland. They don’t say or provide any photos that can be unequivocally linked to who makes them, but due to the proximity I would be surprised if Blossom wasn’t involved. They also sell touring skis under the OFF brand https://off-ski.ch/

I’ve only tried the Red, it’s a very nice ski, but at CHF 1750 flat they are a bit overpriced.

TS
twomartinis

twomartinis

Skier
I have talked to several people who have ridden the AK skis (originally created by Aldo Kuonen... now his Daughter runs the business). Very high quality, somewhat pricey, but accurate, superbly made frontside carving skis with a hint of elitism in their undertow. The folks I have talked to loved the AKs...especially the Black model. curious to hear how you like them!
I will certainly report back, once we get some snow.
If only the 4 feet of lake effect snow coming to Buffalo made over here in the Hudson Valley!

TS
twomartinis

twomartinis

Skier
In a radio interview in 2013 they said that manufacturing was outsourced, as the skis are not marked “Swiss Made” it’s more than likely that they are made outside Switzerland. They don’t say or provide any photos that can be unequivocally linked to who makes them, but due to the proximity I would be surprised if Blossom wasn’t involved.
Which would make them Italian skis instead of Swiss... I am okay with that ogsmile

I was looking at a pair of Vist skis; but passed on them because any information was so difficult to find (except for here on SkiTalk)! They were hardcore slalom skis though; and probably not right for me anyway since I'm an Intermediate <cough>hacker<cough>

But upon closer inspection of the skis you are correct, there is no real information whatsoever on the skis themselves. Just the length, some aspirational branding ("Pure Passion") and a Swiss logo.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Before starting AK Ski Aldo Kuonen worked as a ski instructor in St Moritz, in the mid-1970s he went to work as a race serviceman for Rossignol eventually becoming race team director. He is regarded as the discoverer of Vreni Schneider, Michela Figini, Paul Accola and Michael von Grüningen.

After leaving Rossignol he went to work for Lacroix, in 1993 he became Atomic’s sales and marketing manager and played a key role in the introduction of the beta technology. After Atomic was taken over by the Amer Group he left and started AK Ski.

Sadly, Aldo was diagnosed with a brain tumor at the end of 2011 and died in June 2012. Since then, his children Francesca and Marco have run the business. Since Aldo’s death they have driven the brand upmarket via collaborations with Dior, Hublot, Porsche and Kjus and have started to sell clothing. In a radio interview in 2013 they said that manufacturing was outsourced, as the skis are not marked “Swiss Made” it’s more than likely that they are made outside Switzerland. They don’t say or provide any photos that can be unequivocally linked to who makes them, but due to the proximity I would be surprised if Blossom wasn’t involved. They also sell touring skis under the OFF brand https://off-ski.ch/

I’ve only tried the Red, it’s a very nice ski, but at CHF 1750 flat they are a bit overpriced.
Just looked at the Off ski website - just wow

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
The OFF.90 looks to be my ideal 2nd ski...
for when not carving but still on the East Coast frontside
Just saw this on their website:

Each OFF ski is a limited edition. One shot! There is no reproduction and for sure no overproduction. Even though OFF is for everyone, its only available in Switzerland.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
But upon closer inspection of the skis you are correct, there is no real information whatsoever on the skis themselves. Just the length, some aspirational branding ("Pure Passion") and a Swiss logo.

There are pretty strict rules on what we call “Swissness”, in order for a company to put “Swiss Made” on a manufactured product at least 60% of the manufacturing costs must be incurred in Switzerland. In addition, an essential manufacturing step must take place in Switzerland, for skis this would probably be layup and pressing. If they were made in Switzerland it would say so.

I also don’t have a problem with them being made Italy, especially if they are made by Blossom. Unlike many of the skis Blossom makes for other companies AK skis don’t have the same dimensions as Blossom’s own line of skis, so will have likely been designed by AK.

Along with an unnamed Italian manufacture there are reports that some of their skis are manufactured by very small French manufacturer, maybe the Limited 25 and the ‘Collab’ skis are made in France.

Vist skis are also made by Blossom, they have the same dimensions as Blossom’s skis, but have ABS sidewalls instead of melamine sidewalls which should make them a bit softer.

TS
twomartinis

twomartinis

Skier
If they were made in Switzerland it would say so.
Exactly. When pride of manufacturing exists, it is usually stated explicitly.

Now we have to navigate through slippery copywriting and other creative ad-speak:
"Engineered in Austria"
"Designed in Germany"
"Hypothesized in Switzerland"
:rolleyes:

James

Out There
Instructor
There are pretty strict rules on what we call “Swissness”, in order for a company to put “Swiss Made” on a manufactured product at least 60% of the manufacturing costs must be incurred in Switzerland. In addition, an essential manufacturing step must take place in Switzerland, for skis this would probably be layup and pressing. If they were made in Switzerland it would say so.

I also don’t have a problem with them being made Italy, especially if they are made by Blossom. Unlike many of the skis Blossom makes for other companies AK skis don’t have the same dimensions as Blossom’s own line of skis, so will have likely been designed by AK.

Along with an unnamed Italian manufacture there are reports that some of their skis are manufactured by very small French manufacturer, maybe the Limited 25 and the ‘Collab’ skis are made in France.

Vist skis are also made by Blossom, they have the same dimensions as Blossom’s skis, but have ABS sidewalls instead of melamine sidewalls which should make them a bit softer.
Where’s Movement made these days?

Sponsor

Staff online