• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mike75

Booting up
Skier
I really think height, as opposed to age, is what matters - as in, is your kid big enough clear the seat of the chair without help? My 6 year old rides by herself all the time, but she it rather tall for her age. Also fixed grips tend to be trickier than detachables.

James

Out There
Instructor
Gotta be 7 to ride alone at our mt. Six and under get paired with a random adult. I have mixed feelings about this. Most adults aren't really prepared. But, many have had kids so...

If you do get on with a little kid, going to the load line you can hold their wrist. Or not. Sone kids are highly competent. They'll tell you. Stay close anyway. At the load line, don't attempt to use the wrist hold method to get them on. It's awkward and near impossible. I like to do a reverse arm scoop. You can grab their knee or just be near it, then use your arm to push them on. Push the knees on if necessary. It's much easier, stronger and safer the backwards arm scoop way. Your poles are a bit of an issue. Figure out how to keep them out of the way.

Most little kids don't come anywhere near the back of the chair. Not sure the point about "safety bars". Is this an argument to eliminate them? It's the law in VT that they be put down. NH it's not. I want the kid to have at least one ski over the footrest. It won't reach, but if they slip hopefully they'll push on it. Way better than no footrest to push on. Leaning back when the back rest is far away can push them forward. Pay attention. Don't hesitate to tell them to stop something you consider unsafe.
Some little kids are highly entertaining, some never shut up, some don't talk. Don't take it personally if they don't say much.

I've never seen injuries from "safety bars" and kids. What am I missing? Certainly not a regular occurence.

Years ago a girl in CT was killed when they jumped off the chair, the bar came down on the second one and caught her under the helmet.

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I became accustomed to holding my poles in my left hand and having the right arm available to grab or scoop my kid if they weren't seated properly at take off. We never had any close calls but it always seemed that my daughter was near the edge of the seat so I was extra careful.

And of course remind them to keep the skis up before offloading.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I don't know if it's policy, but quite a few times at Winter Park I've been grabbed out of the singles line by instructors asking me if I'd mind riding up with 2 or 3 of their young students, rather than sending them up alone.

I started riding lifts with my friends and no adults at 6, and I had been skiing for around 15 years by the time I encountered my first safety (or comfort) bar.

Sponsor

Staff online