• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice on freetouring ski

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I have tried the Black Crows Camox Freebird and that one was definately too light. So I suspect the Navis Freebird will be too.

The Blizzard Rustler 10 @ 180 seems to be it for now. I don't have to pull any triggers just yet, I have an opportinuty to demo some skis before making a decision. Most of the smaller brands will not be available to demo though. But to ski the Rustler 10 all day is perfect for me. And it's light enough for freetouring. I just wander how I was able to oversee that one just before starting this thread. Thanks for the suggestions, all.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have tried the Black Crows Camox Freebird and that one was definately too light. So I suspect the Navis Freebird will be too.

The Blizzard Rustler 10 @ 180 seems to be it for now. I don't have to pull any triggers just yet, I have an opportinuty to demo some skis before making a decision. Most of the smaller brands will not be available to demo though. But to ski the Rustler 10 all day is perfect for me. And it's light enough for freetouring. I just wander how I was able to oversee that one just before starting this thread. Thanks for the suggestions, all.
A 180 Rustler 10. You like short turns?

You should give the Zero G 108 a shot. It's a substantial ski even though light.
not that much tail rocker.

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
A 180 Rustler 10. You like short turns?

You should give the Zero G 108 a shot. It's a substantial ski even though light.
not that much tail rocker.
Well, I do know the Rustler and I know I like it. And the fact that it is capable of shorter turns is great in the trees, tight spots, for the technical stuff too. I will try the Zero G if I can.

The Head Kore is not my thin. Demoed the 93, 99 and 105 and to me, they all have that kind of 'dead unless you really kick their ass' feel to it. And I am not the kick ass kind of skier.

James

Out There
Instructor
The Head Kore is not my thin. Demoed the 93, 99 and 105 and to me, they all have that kind of 'dead unless you really kick their ass' feel to it. And I am not the kick ass kind of skier.
The Kore started out with strong reviews, sold pretty well, then fizzled. Pretty much on what you just wrote. It's dead. I know someone who was buying their first non race ski last year. Tried lots of skis, the 93, 99 Kores multiple times. Pretty much hated it. Dead. And he's a very strong skier in his late 20's.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Not easy to come by in the EU, but Moment skis have a number of 1700-1800g skis in their non-touring line that absolutely rip and wouldn't punish you too much on the way up.

James

Out There
Instructor
Not easy to come by in the EU, but Moment skis have a number of 1700-1800g skis in their non-touring line that absolutely rip and wouldn't punish you too much on the way up.
Which skis? I was looking at their touring line. Why not those?

They have one store in Austria and one in Munich that are dealers.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Which skis? I was looking at their touring line. Why not those?

They have one store in Austria and one in Munich that are dealers.

Commander 98 and Wildcat 108 at the most obvious choices. The Commander despite having two sheets of metal only weights 1775g / ski which is very reasonable for touring.

The touring line is really good as well and shaves even more weight. But a lack of mass does eventually limit dampening qualities. OP seemed like they didn't want to go as lightweight as the touring line based on their experience.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Liberty Origin 106 (or 96 maybe) might be worth a look. It's at the top of my list and I'm similar size with similar requirements and some overlap in taste in skis. Of course I haven't skied it yet!

TS
Cheizz

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
I got a great deal on some 2019 Blizzard Rustler 10s (180) and Fritschi Tecton 12s.

Who has experience with glue-free climbing skins? I have seen the Geckos and the Fischer Profoils. Seems nice to have skins that require less care. But do they glide and climb well?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I got a great deal on some 2019 Blizzard Rustler 10s (180) and Fritschi Tecton 12s.

Who has experience with glue-free climbing skins? I have seen the Geckos and the Fischer Profoils. Seems nice to have skins that require less care. But do they glide and climb well?

Avoid at all cost. They can glide just as well, but when your skins don't stick well going up an icy sidehill skin track as is the norm in the alps you'll hate it.

I've used the Fishers -- they are OK sometimes, but not reliable. My favorite (and I own/ed G3, Black Diamond, Coltex and Pomoca) are the Contour Hybrids. Good mix of glide to climb. And the new glue is awesome -- sticky enough but way way eaiser to manage.

Sponsor

Staff online