• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Advice for a sport carver or other options

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
I'll start with the basics: male skier, early 40's, 270 pounds, 6'0", athletic so while there is definitely some extra soft weight there is plenty of muscle. Advanced skier, can get down any trail, but excel on blues and single blacks. Not into straight line speed anymore.

Live in Eastern Pa. don't get out of state much, but looking to more in the next year or two, will be travelling to New England when I do. So mostly manmade hard pack, the last two years have been thin man made cover over ice from the freeze thaw cycles. In Pa. off-piste means a mountain made base grind. But if I am looking to play in the trees a little I will still have my current all-mountains.

Currently on a 167cm Atomic Nomad Blackeye TI all mountain. In good conditions I can get a decent carve, but on the ice and hardpack they make me nervous trying to get on edge for turns, end up skidding a lot of turns on the hardpack. They just never feel stable unless it is packed powder.

In the last few years I've worked more on carving and enjoy it more so I think a carving style ski is where I want to look. It sounds like they should be more likely to hold an edge in the hard pack, not sure what they will do with the ice. I know the 167cm is short for me, so probably looking at 177 or 182. I want something that my size and strength will not mush out, but I like to be able to cruise the hill. I don't want something that is going to make me work constantly.

Am I even looking in the right direction for what I am trying to solve, or should I be looking in a different direction?

I like the look of Dynastar Speed 763, the mid-70's waist seems like a good compromise and not quite as stiff as the 963 and not a full on race ski. But reviews are mixed between a ski I will have to work more and some sound like it is exactly what I want. Down side is it is not a common brand to be able to demo.

I want to stay around the $500ish price range, but will go a little higher for the right ski. Are there any other suggestions for my size and what I am trying to accomplish?

Local shops demo skis tend to be all mountain or even wider.

Thanks

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you ski Blue? I think they may carry Head Supershape skis that you could demo like the e-shape Magnum, e-Speed or e-Original. They are all above $500 but you might find some end of the season deals to get the price closer to your budget. E-Orignal is a softer ski compared to the others but I was about your size when I bought mine. Good ski for moderate to slow skiing at Blue. I have two other 66/67 under foot skis that I use there but they are more aggressive.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
At 270lb, everything in head super shape will fold in half for you when you pick up some real speed. Maybe except e-titan at 184, but it’s 84mm waist.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd also think a 167 Nomad is also under-gunned for your H/W for you All-Mountain Ski.

What about a better A/M ski and more size appropriate ?
I was snooping around last night for a taller/heavier friend and told him he should buy these, which are a fan-favourite here at SkiTalk. I had the Fischer 82GT 173 and it was excellent ( though gave to me son )

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
Most narrow piste skis (Supershapes, RC One, Dynastar Speed) will fold under the forces you'll put on them, like @GB_Ski said. Or you have to go to the widest one (Fischer RC One 86 GT, Head e-Titan), which is less than ideal for edge grip - basically, you'll get what you already have.

May I suggest:
Völkl Deacon 72, 178 (Master version with race plate and beefed up construction available, but that'll then be the 'work every turn' version)
Blizzard Firebird HRC (the 2024 69 mm one, the older version is a bit less refined), 180
Atomic Redster Q 9, 176
Nordica Spitfire, either the new DC 74 Pro one - a bit beefier - or an older Spitfire 72 RB or 76 RB, better priced and just a tad less work... They come in 180 I believe

All of these I would get in the longest length that they come in (listed above).

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Head e.Race Pro, Stockli WRT-ST, Blizzard HRC (new 69mm, as noted above)--also as discussed, the SuperShapes are likely not burly enough for you. Another option is a 165 FIS SL.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OP mentioned that he wasn’t interested in straight line speed but how fast is relative. Sounds like he wants something a little easier going for cruising. I’m guessing we ski the same area and I’m on my Stockli WRTs most of the time there and recently added the FIS-SL. They are well above the $500 budget though.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
I'm not sure about that Brahma for him. I loved them and I'm 120lb lighter! May be too soft.

I'll throw out the Rossi Hero Master. It's stiff.

I have multiple friends over 200 and they all love them. An all mountain is the way to go for someone who only skis a few times a year.

TS
I

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
So I'll add a little more details I should have probably at the start.

I definitely wouldn't call myself expert, but most days would probably say advanced. Though some of the icy days make me question that. Skiing with my 11 year old son we probably cruise around 20 to 25mph. With decent snow and a good night for him we'll top out around 35mph. When I'm on the hill without him cruising is about 25mph but will easily run into the mid-40's on playful runs.

I have 8 days in so far this year, with a definite later start than I should have. Will probably finish up around 12 to 15 days depending how the weather cooperates.

I honestly have wondered how a longer all mountain might feel. Definitely received some bad information when I bought these several years ago. I do know with my size that I need full sidewalls, and some metal layering in the construction.

The previous pair I had were Dynastar and enjoyed those, so I am a little partial to the brand but certainly not locked into it.

TS
I

ihocky2

Putting on skis
Skier
Most narrow piste skis (Supershapes, RC One, Dynastar Speed) will fold under the forces you'll put on them, like @GB_Ski said. Or you have to go to the widest one (Fischer RC One 86 GT, Head e-Titan), which is less than ideal for edge grip - basically, you'll get what you already have.

May I suggest:
Völkl Deacon 72, 178 (Master version with race plate and beefed up construction available, but that'll then be the 'work every turn' version)
Blizzard Firebird HRC (the 2024 69 mm one, the older version is a bit less refined), 180
Atomic Redster Q 9, 176
Nordica Spitfire, either the new DC 74 Pro one - a bit beefier - or an older Spitfire 72 RB or 76 RB, better priced and just a tad less work... They come in 180 I believe

All of these I would get in the longest length that they come in (listed above).

What would you think of either the Rosi Experience 82 TI (guessing I should have the 184 over the 176), or the Rosi Forza 70D V-TI or the 60D V-TI in a 179

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you’re considering AMs Blue had a pair of Kendo 88 demos for sale 2 weeks ago. Think they were around 600. Lots of love for that ski on this forum. Can’t recall if they were 177’s or 184’s but 177s may work if narrow pocono groomers are their main use.

Cheizz

AKA Gigiski
Skier
If you’re considering AMs Blue had a pair of Kendo 88 demos for sale 2 weeks ago. Think they were around 600. Lots of love for that ski on this forum. Can’t recall if they were 177’s or 184’s but 177s may work if narrow pocono groomers are their main use.
If the old Atomic (82 mm) wasn't edgy enough, I doubt the Kendo's would I had a pair of Kendo's and I know they're nowhere near a real carving ski. Even though they carve quite well for an 88 mm ski.

@ihocky2 the Forza 70D might work but is very much a one-trick carving pony, not sure it would be strong enough for a big guy as yourself. THe other Rossi's you mention definitely will not hold you.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
So I'll add a little more details I should have probably at the start.

I definitely wouldn't call myself expert, but most days would probably say advanced. Though some of the icy days make me question that. Skiing with my 11 year old son we probably cruise around 20 to 25mph. With decent snow and a good night for him we'll top out around 35mph. When I'm on the hill without him cruising is about 25mph but will easily run into the mid-40's on playful runs.

I have 8 days in so far this year, with a definite later start than I should have. Will probably finish up around 12 to 15 days depending how the weather cooperates.

I honestly have wondered how a longer all mountain might feel. Definitely received some bad information when I bought these several years ago. I do know with my size that I need full sidewalls, and some metal layering in the construction.

The previous pair I had were Dynastar and enjoyed those, so I am a little partial to the brand but certainly not locked into it.

The brahma 82, 88 or enforcer 88 will be good skis for you, all with two sheets of metal. There are lots of racy skis with two sheets of metal, but they are not made to cruise around with children, they are made to go fast and certainly will be far more than $500 unless very used.

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
For stiff sports carver at his weight class means tallest size available, and they are beastly. I mean, master racers use them, not sure how happy OP will be when he hits 40-45mph. Especially he’s coming from 167 and find the new punishing tails.

I think at 270, I would go into master skis category or higher, but pick them in 170-175 range. Don’t need to go super fast and still manageable at his weight class.

For $500, maybe K2 MTI or STI on sale?

Otherwise, I would go with Docs suggestion.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
The Blackeyes are an all mountain ski. So anything in the 82-85 would be similar. The Forza 70 is actually 78 underfoot. It can carve though. Had a friends on.

But the $500 limit is pushing it for anything really. Keep an eye on sales over the summer.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OP mentioned that he wasn’t interested in straight line speed but how fast is relative. Sounds like he wants something a little easier going for cruising. I’m guessing we ski the same area and I’m on my Stockli WRTs most of the time there and recently added the FIS-SL. They are well above the $500 budget though.

You will find yourself more and more often on the Lasers FIS SL, I promise you that. ;) It is a drug, it is addictive.

Sponsor