• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Achilles tendonitis

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This exercise makes a whole lot of sense. It's using the eccentric contraction phase to treat tendonitis. This really excellent NY Times article describes the rationale as applied to tennis elbow, which I posted before on epicski in response to a tennis elbow thread. I have used a modification of the exercise to treat my own tendonitis on the opposite side of the elbow, "golfer's elbow". That it should work for Achilles tendonitis makes perfect sense. Actually- using neonorchid's description above, continue to use both legs to start the movement even when things get better. The idea is to pre-load the symptomatic side by contracting the calf muscles under minimal stress, then maximizing the stress in the negative phase of the movement.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

Maybe some coming to this thread who happen to have tennis elbow can benefit as well.

Edit: The article used to link to a YouTube video of the movement. That apparently has not survived the intervening years. Too bad. If a picture is worth a thousand words, that video was worth ten thousand.

If we're now talking about tennis elbow, my favorite treatment is self massage with a lacrosse ball. First discovered this with a light case, and was cured in a couple three weeks. Now, will use after a rough session before symptoms appear. I play weekly and symptoms haven't reappeared in over a year. I'm now playing with heavier strokes and equipment.

The twisting of the rubber stick didn't do much for me and others I know.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This exercise makes a whole lot of sense. It's using the eccentric contraction phase to treat tendonitis. This really excellent NY Times article describes the rationale as applied to tennis elbow, which I posted before on epicski in response to a tennis elbow thread. I have used a modification of the exercise to treat my own tendonitis on the opposite side of the elbow, "golfer's elbow". That it should work for Achilles tendonitis makes perfect sense. Actually- using neonorchid's description above, continue to use both legs to start the movement even when things get better. The idea is to pre-load the symptomatic side by contracting the calf muscles under minimal stress, then maximizing the stress in the negative phase of the movement.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

Maybe some coming to this thread who happen to have tennis elbow can benefit as well.

Edit: The article used to link to a YouTube video of the movement. That apparently has not survived the intervening years. Too bad. If a picture is worth a thousand words, that video was worth ten thousand.
The other cool thing about the exercise is that when the tendon would act up, doing a few reps worked wonders for pain relief. Standing on a 30º angle ramp also helped but to a lesser extent.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ouch.. Yes to Stretching and Aspirin/other pain med.. I also use Arnica- it's homeopathic great for deep tissue bruises, achey joints and muscles
I get "the Rub" lotion. no heat, no smell is awesome for old joints/muscles.
Yes getting old sucks, Arnica keeps me skiing..

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I read this thread on Friday and sure enough, mine flared up again starting Saturday. Limping around the office today. Off to see the Sports Medicine Dr tomorrow who previously prescribed the nitro patches. Ugh...

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Emmanual Sanders-Denver Bronco receiver-just went down / achilles tear in practice yesterday- no contact-just went- it can happen any time...

Sponsor

Staff online