• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

A Good Article That Touches on Challenges.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Under-appreciated by their employers. Underpaid.

Job has a great office, though.

As part of my professional life I used to help outdoor and ski brands, and ski areas interpret, and put into action data on brand share, consumer demographics, market segmentation studies, etc.

As a retired guy I instruct once in a while, and when I walk into a resort I see spreadsheets, traffic flow, and process inefficiencies. Part of that is ski school.

Instructors spend the most time of any resort employee, with guests. They are an area's greatest asset. They are an area's best chance to put their best foot forwards. Yet, often times, they are treated like a nuisance by ownership / management.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The ski instructor association (PSIA) should do a personality survey of ALL the instructors that show up at ski areas during high volume periods.
What a bunch! ;-)

Really, What sort of person would figure out a way to make a living (subsistence it may be) while passionately perusing an activity that returns yields only to themselves, while outdoors in wild winter and sliding ferociously down often icy mountain sides?

A special person, for sure.

Worthy of special consideration..... ;-)

one clown short of a circus!

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
The ski instructor association (PSIA) should do a personality survey of ALL the instructors that show up at ski areas during high volume periods.
What a bunch! ;-)

Really, What sort of person would figure out a way to make a living (subsistence it may be) while passionately perusing an activity that returns yields only to themselves, while outdoors in wild winter and sliding ferociously down often icy mountain sides?

A special person, for sure.

Worthy of special consideration..... ;-)

one clown short of a circus!

Not sure I get your meaning. What is your point?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Not sure I get your meaning. What is your point?

Point?

People are people everywhere, and group identity is a failing. There is no need to categorize "ski instructors" as victims of any exploitation or lack of respect.

Most are great people, but then there are the odd ducks. Take a look at the lift line on any week end for the spectrum of possibilities. Skiers, All of them (boarders included)

Hey! Someday I might be a ski instructor! It's not hard, Just show up ;-)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Someday I might be a ski instructor! It's not hard, Just show up ;-)

The difference is that I'd like to think that I have enough self-respect to do the best job I possibly can helping others enjoy the sport. That includes a hell of a lot more than 'just showing up'.
Oh.... I forgot: ogwink

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I would just add two words to the title.."some of"

"Ski Instructors Are Doing Some Of Our Sport’s Most Important Work"

To quote @otto...
"A great boot fit experience with a great boot fitter will be like the best ski lesson that you never had."

Sponsor

Staff online