• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada 23/24 Palisades Parking Plans

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find it odd, tbh, that they had such a strong interest in asking the public on the restort name change (which they screwed up anyways, as nobody really knows how to call ex-squaw, anyways), and they produce this rushed "solution" , by surprise, without consulting the people they are allegedly trying to help. I would have much rather call Squaw whatever they wanted, and ask for ideas on the Parking situation.

Which is a real problem - I had one failed trip this past season, 8 hours on the car without skiing one minute.

Of course, this is their business, and they should run it any way they want. But, as a consumer, I am less inclined to go to Pali than in the past. A lot less. I actually have a Sierra pass.
In coming up with their plan, they had the choice to do it fast, slow, or half-fast.

big1russ

Booting up
Skier
I don’t think that enforcement will be nearly as difficult as its being made out to be. My understanding is that the reservation will be tied to your pass product, be it Ikon pass or day pass, and you will enter the license late for the vehicle you plan to drive. People who park without a reservation are easy to identify since there will be no reservation with that plate in the system. No-shows are easily sorted out by a combination of plate scans and cross-referencing the list of reservations vs the list of passes scanned that day. By cross-referencing pass scans, you eliminate the concern that your plate might not have been scanned by the time you leave if it ends up being a short day.

For folks who have a parking reservation but are not skiing for some unfathomable reason it seems like it would be easy enough to add a way to ‘check in’ via the mobile app, or scan a barcode or QR code at one of the kiosks in the base areas, again eliminating the concern that your plate might not have been scanned by the time you leave .

The question of how enforceable the $100 fines turn out to be is interesting, but I think they are just throwing a big number out there to dissuade people from ignoring the reservation system. In my opinion the real threat is having your Ikon pass pulled. If you’re a repeat offender it’s easy enough for them to shut down your pass weather they are able to collect the fines or not.

That’s my 2 cents. It seems like it would be easy enough to enforce, and none of the obstacles seem insurmountable, but I’m sure they will find some new and exciting way to screw it up.

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Provider looks to be Honk Mobile (just made reservations for the world cup weekend). Same as Alta which I have had great experiences with.

freddie

Booting up
Skier
HI - I had a question about Reservations for Free spots.

Can I reserve for a Sat and Sunday (same weekend) in the same transaction or is it 1 day per transaction?

freddie

Booting up
Skier
at 12 noon today I was able to get a spot for this coming sat and sunday. I just tried now and the free spots that were released at 12 noon seem to be gone for both days...

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I also got Sunday, then Saturday at noon today. I got error reserving Saturday, but when I tried to book it again, it said I already had it.

Not sure if I was just practicing for the future or if I'm really going. But the only places my passes are valid on Saturday are Heavenly and Palisades. An advantage for me of driving up on weekends is I don't think I can leave home early enough on a weekday to avoid Sacramento traffic.

I also set reminders to cancel those mornings if I'm not using them, but willing to entertain offers if someone needs a spot and wants me to replace my license plate with theirs.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Looks like I will be cancelling. Giving reservation to someone else could be problematic as they can charge $100 if you don't use your reservation.
New plan is to ski Sun-Tues; could be Kirkwood all three days depending on Carson Spur. Friend who has place at Kirkwood is going with me, but his place is on a ski-lease until 4/15.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
Update is that I canceled my reservations for this weekend. I saw someone on Ikon FB group was looking for a reservation, but it seems like you could have a ($100 first time) problem if person you give your reservation to by changing reservation from your License Plate to theirs does not make it. Then if your pass is not used, it's hard to say you were there.

Does anyone else's antivirus software complain about the HONK parking website? I saw it when I first looked at couple of months ago and still have to bypass warning to get to their website. I did put in a support ticket to Honk about it. Following is what I get from Kaspersky:

"We prevented a visit to a website that may cause data leak
Visiting this website may pose the threat of losing money or personal data.

You were protected from visiting this website by Kaspersky security. You can close this window with no risk.

Hide details
Detected:
2/3/2024 3:46:16 PM
Web address:
https://reservenski.parkpalisadestahoe-v<...>
Blocked:
by Safe Browsing
Reason:
threat of data loss
Detection method:
databases
I understand the risks and wish to continue"

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because they got all fancy with multiple domain names, I think they are having some issues with their SSL certificates and the domains.
You also could have somehow hit on a bad link.

When I use the site, it pushes me to :
https://reservenski.parkpalisadestahoevillage.com/

Your link somehow is going to
https://reservenski.parkpalisadestahoe-village.com/

but then redirects back to the non-hyphen link.
so the link is bad

As far as your concerns on no-show, I know people that booked but did not go and did not get dinged for no-shows.

I think we discussed this way back though 10 pages ago, why they have to put the penalty out there even if in practice they may not enforce, and it may not be even possible or practical to enforce.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just spent 5 straight minutes trying to get the parking page to even load without throwing an error at some point while trying to navigate to the correct date, after which all the parking was already gone. This is a complete mess.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just spent 5 straight minutes trying to get the parking page to even load without throwing an error at some point while trying to navigate to the correct date, after which all the parking was already gone. This is a complete mess.
If you are able, have several devices/screens logged in and ready for the 2nd batch, 7PM pacific. Second batch often is less contested as the first.

Sponsor