• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Head Word Cup Rebels e-speed pro vs Fischer RC4 World Cup RC Pro

misterb

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm looking for a 'Head' banging (ho hum) pretend race ski for making the most fun on less busy days on European pistes in January. I tried the Salomon s/race GS12, liked it a lot but found it a little bit docile. I suspect I might enjoy the 'gs pro' version with a plate more, but it's an expensive ski. What I *can* find at a good price is both the RC4 pro and the e-speed pro. I've never skied either of them, so I'd love to hear from those of you that have.

I'm initially leaning towards the Head because of previous good experience with their products, but I cannot find a single review of the new e-speed (Ski Essentials said conditions were too poor to review the ski poperly when they tried it), and DSV Aktiv have reviewed the RC4 and describe it in a way that sounds very appealing to me:

DSV Aktiv Race Carver test

I like to mix up my turns, drift, slide, and generally mess around as much as I like to rail long carves. I also ski all day, and on more crowded days, so that means tolerating crap snow and tired legs, so if the Fischer is a touch more versatile and safe, and the Head is a one-trick pony that will spit you off at the first sight of crappy snow then that is a major minus.

Also the Fischer comes with the Z13 Freeflex and the Head with the ST16 Freeflex. I have no idea how these bindings compare, so if one of you does know, please chime in.

Also a hat-tip to the Head for looking incredibly cool. I love the new blue colour.

Thanks!

mattfredricks

Booting up
Skier
I can speak totally speak for the e speed pro as i've only demo'd it once, i went with the e race pro, which is a great medium radius ski and if the speed is anything similar, mine does pretty well in crappy snow, but its happiest on firm groomers. I rembering it being a ski you had to stay on top of or it would not ski well, which is pretty common for a ski with this kind of performance.

TS
M

misterb

Skier
Thanks. Do you have any idea if this year's Head models are just a cosmetic change, or whether there's a new ski lurking under the fancy blue topsheet?

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I own the eSpeed Pro in 180/21.5 (baby blue), and own the previous iSpeed 180/18. The Pros come with Freeflex race bindings,
while the non-Pro eSpeeds and iSpeeds do not. (Mine have Head PRD bindings on them, and another pair of a friend have
Tyrolia Attack2 AT demo bindings on them - which are a tall binding, and are more playful and great also.) In recent years,
the Pro, I'm told, is a stiffer construction. All three favorite skis, all wonderful. (Look up Franz Klammer/one with Deb Armstrong,
videos to see both the iSpeed and eSpeed in action: same style with both.)

To me, there is actually surprisingly little difference between the iSpeed and eSpeed versions, other than the difference added
by a slight stiffening and greater directionality (in edge carve feel) due to the binding difference and slightly stiffer construction.
It's obvious they are almost the same ski in how they behave.

I've probably demoed that Fischer, but it would have been an older version, and can't recall the details.
In general, love the Fischers, but they mostly have a signature slightly heavier feel to me (neither good nor bad, just noticeable).
The Heads to me have a slightly greater precision and slightly poppier rebound, and yet are still slightly playful compared to
a full on race ski.

I tend to like the Heads better, enough more to buy them, but it's probably a subjective difference. Both excellent, tops.
(And I'm a light to light medium weight, older guy, for reference.)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I prefer the Head Rebel e.Speed or e.Speed Pro. The white e.Speed is a relaxed fun sport carving ski. The new blue e.Speed Pro is closer to a Masters GS ski than the white 68mm wide e.Speed or old yellow e.Speed Pro 185/19m, as the new blue version is a 65mm wide ski with a nearly 22m radius in 185.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I prefer the Head Rebel e.Speed or e.Speed Pro. The white e.Speed is a relaxed fun sport carving ski. The new blue e.Speed Pro is closer to a Masters GS ski than the white 68mm wide e.Speed or old yellow e.Speed Pro 185/19m, as the new blue version is a 65mm wide ski with a nearly 22m radius in 185.

Yes. The blue e-speed sound veeery good by their specs, I am strongly considering a pair, just waiting for more on-snow performance reviews.
All the patrollers and many teachers here moved to blue skis this season-e-SL and e-Race mainly. For our slopes e-speed are not optimal.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO, for more fun skiing it's better considering GS Masters skis like 183/23-25.

I can confirm Head GS Masters are pretty good yes. I have them in 189/27-very nice ski when you have some acreage to let them run. Very nice flex-not too stif, quite smooth, not extremely hard to bend them into shorter turns.

I should have probably gone 191 for even more top end, but not much to complain about with 189

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are just different. But once one gets to the 185, there is a characteristic GS feel/dynamic. You ski it like a GS Ski.
Not so with the 180/whatever. :) It skis like the Franz Klammer ski on his videos/Anne Armstrong video also.
Franz makes more shallow, fast, fall line turns with his, on groomers or mild off piste. It's a distinctly different set of possibilities,
including not getting squeezed for space on the slope as happens with the GSy 185s or masters GS versions,
which need more real estate. (And to me are equally fun.)

Both Heads are wonderful - just different, with different uses, and feel. On more crowded recreational slopes,
or Colo. slopes that are only groomed once a week or so, the 180/18 to 20.5 eSpeeds are for me a distinct, fun category,
in between GS and SL (and not as crazy, almost off balance fast turning as most of the 175 versions).

TS
M

misterb

Skier
Thank you guys, I'm very grateful.

skiier

Skier
To me, there is actually surprisingly little difference between the iSpeed and eSpeed versions, other than the difference added
by a slight stiffening and greater directionality (in edge carve feel) due to the binding difference and slightly stiffer construction.
It's obvious they are almost the same ski in how they behave.
Do you think EMC doesn't change anything in these new models and it's just marketing? I'm asking because I'm thinking whether to buy the e-Speed 2024 or the half-priced i.speed 2021, both new. Any advice? Should I be concerned about the skis aging in storage, or am I missing out on something with EMC? :)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just don't know. I'm an old guy, with diminishing skills, and that might distort things. But no regrets on both.

The Head pro whose favorite ski was both the iSpeed and eSpeed in successive years, told me
he thought the e part resulted in a bit more rocker, just a touch, and that made the e skis a bit more
versatile off piste.

Now that I own both pairs, I don't really notice this: both skis do great in the same mild off piste terrain, near as I can tell.
But with the eSpeed, I have the race binding Pro version instead of my iSpeed non-pro version. So I do find the Pro versions
more race-like and directional everywhere, and the iSpeed non-pro more playful and versatile, including in mild off piste -
the reverse of the difference between the I and e versions, apparently. So, not sure.

Both are exceptional. My iSpeeds have deteriorated a bit over the years, but I'm guessing more because of use and age
than because of the e and I differences, seems like.

But I have to admit, I'd err on the safe side, and go with the newer ski, if you can afford it. (I got my eSpeeds at a sale
on Powder 7 this year, just as I'd gotten my iSpeeds at a sale at Christy Sports a season or two old, but early season the next year.
The iSpeeds were a lot better deal back when.)

Sponsor

Staff online