• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico 2024 Taos Mini-Gathering Report and Pics

Dean

Lawn chair sledder extraordinaire
Skier
a guy named "Cliff"
While on the chair, heard one bro call out to another below "just call me Cliff Huckstable" - didn't see the drop (giving him the benefit of the doubt). Got a good chuckle in any event.

DebbieSue

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ah! Didn't know what that was... had to look it up.
Guess you weren’t paying attention. Rick B. explained when we stopped mid-run, on Lorelei, a bit after the refrozen South facing bumps. We reached a point among trees where you look into a roped off shallow bowl and the cliff below is obscured. Ernie Blake named that run accordingly. I love the feeling in there. Awareness of the rest of the mountain slips away.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
Got the impression the ABQ airport was surprised by the wet snow yesterday afternoon. Lots of flight changes - I was re-routed through Vegas; amazingly my bags made it!

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpeg
    IMG_3567.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 12
TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Got the impression the ABQ airport was surprised by the wet snow yesterday afternoon. Lots of flight changes - I was re-routed through Vegas; amazingly my bags made it!
I spent about three extra hours in the airport, and had to change my connection in Dallas to a later flight getting home about midnight... but I too got my bags!

ABQ doesn't often get heavy snow like that. I saw one accident happen (a big SUV spin out on the on-ramp to the highway and hit the wall), and two other recent ones I drove just by, as I drove to the airport.

Then turning up the small hill into the rental car center, I was following a pick-up plow truck that was spreading cinders - and promptly couldn't make it up the hill and slid into the curb. I guess it was either 2-wheel drive or had crappy tires? My rental Jeep went around it no problem at all.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My trip report, with a bunch of pics:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My extended Gathering is over; I'm on the plane headed home.

21 skiing days in a row with no injuries and only minimal base damage. My only regret is that for some reason I didn't get my tree-skiing mojo back till the last 3 days.

What a glorious time! I had so much fun skiing with old friends and new. I love these things! Thank you to one and all.

TS
dbostedo

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
And it’s not like he skis a half day, ever. Nope, 21 days of being ready when the lift starts and skiing until last chair.
To be fair, last Wednesday when only the bunny hill lift was open, I couldn't get him to go to last chair. We stopped at 3:30 when the chair closed at 4:00. So he took an ENTIRE half-hour off... slacker.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online