• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) 2024 Niseko Trip Report - Planes, A Lot of Trains, and some Automobiles

TS
Even_Stevens

Even_Stevens

Getting off the lift
Skier
Still, a long way to go for only 5 days of skiing. Hope your flight is cheap? ( or free? )

I wouldn't be surprise people book ahead on long trips, probably for economical reason.

But as much as Japan is known for it dry powder, it's not known to have snow fall every day. The chance of snow fall can fluctuate over a short period is a matter of nature. 5 day is a very short window to hope to hit storms.

Oh well.

How long was your last trip to Japan?

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
Oh well.

How long was your last trip to Japan?
I've only skied in Japan once. It was only 5 (or 6 days), I forgot. It's been a while...

But I have family in Asia and Australia. So I've gone to Japan several times. Just not always involves downhill skiing.

On that one particular skiing trip, I was living in Asia for about 3 months. I picked a 1-week window with weather forecast already known. And my flight was only something like $2~300. It was more like jumping on a plane to go from the coast to the Rockies on a long weekend kind of trip.

In fact, I was in Asia early this winter too. I even have my downhill boots with me. But as the early season snow record was rather subpar compare to typical years, I decided to pass on that, hit the beach in Australia instead. :)

I don't know, if I were to go to Japan strictly to ski, I'd give myself a full 2 weeks, of skiing days. (Granted, that won't guarantee powder on a season like this one. Still...)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online